Star Trek "Best of Both Worlds" in theaters April 25th

My son and I went and we both enjoyed it, although as somebody stated earlier we could've done without all the behind-the-scenes footage ahead of time. I wish they would've put it after, he got quite bored also waiting. The sound also left a lot to be desired and I wish they would've made it into 16 x 9 but I understand why they didn't. Overall it was a really neat experience and I'm glad that we made the trip to go see it.

I especially like that bit wheres she talks about Frakes trying to persuade her into giving Shelby some romantic feelings towards Riker during the two-parter. Her "What? Why?" reaction was just refreshing. It's REALLY a rare thing in a lot of stories, let alone Star Trek where you have a female character like Shelby who has such a large role to play in the episode who doesn't become a typical one-shot romance that will inevitably go no where.

But then she said right after that that he was right and they did put a little bit of that in their performances.

They had to make it seem like anything could happen for the cliffhanger. As far as the audience knew Patrick would leave the series and she would become a permanent cast member. Having her role be a little more than "the thorn in Riker's side" added to that.

It's also a rare thing for Star Trek to have an officer playing the role of the rival who is actually in the right. Most of the time we get officers who are just insufferable d-bags who like like to twirl their mustaches in how right they are when our main heroes know they are wrong.

It was indeed refreshing to have a "hated character" (I use that term loosely. She's meant to rub the audience the wrong way) who was, in many cases, right. She just clearly goes about it the wrong way on almost every level. She's a character with drive and passion who is oblivious to those around her and command etiquette. While the second one isn't a big deal (although it pisses Riker off to no end :lol ) the first is a pretty big one. She gets to play the role of the insufferable d-bag who is right. Had to be a lot of fun and it would have been good to have her back later in the series.

Either way, as you say, it was refreshing to have someone so abrasive but you have to root for them because they're on your team and they're a key player. Only other character I can think of like that is Captain Jellico.

It's funny, Jellico was the first to spring to my mind as well. Totally abrasive, however he got the job done in spades in the end. Frankly I'd want him on my team any day.

As for Shelby, the only time she "faltered" for me was her insistance on returning to the Borg cube to rescue Picard (before Riker gives the order to fire). This is the turning point for Riker in which he truly must stop "*****-footing" around and take command. And while the deflector beam plan didn't work, immediately firing on the Borg cube was the right call at the time.

(I remember all the talk of Stewart being written out and Riker commanding the Enterprise; that was one LONG summer!)

Of course if firing on the cube did work, it certainly would have been a different show; think of the glimpse we saw in "Parallels"... only 4 seasons long. :wacko
Come to think of it... it would have been REALLY cool if they had brought back Shelby in a cameo appearance as Riker's first officer, instead of having it be Worf for that reality.

Another thing that was always a "cool afterthought" for me: the deflector beam knocking out the Enterprise's systems meant that they wouldn't be at Wolf 359 in time for the showdown... which also happened to save them from destruction!

Kevin

Anyone notice the almost complete absence of LaVar Burton in part 2? If you pay attention in the few scenes he's in, he's never seen interacting with the lead characters in the same shot. Like when he's working with Shelby on getting the shields back and asking Worf for help, it's obvious he shot his scenes without any of the actors there. I heard that this was due to LeVar having to undergo an operation which resulted in him missing out on most of the shooting for the episode. Thankfully they were able to compensate this by having Miles O'Brien doing his scenes when they're working on Locutus, and more Miles was always a good thing.

They had these events to coincide with the first three season releases on Blu-ray, but there was nothing for the fourth season release. Have we seem the end of Star Trek: The Next Generation releases on the big screen?

They had these events to coincide with the first three season releases on Blu-ray, but there was nothing for the fourth season release. Have we seem the end of Star Trek: The Next Generation releases on the big screen?

I hope not. I'd definitely like to see All Good Things on the big screen.

I went to thedigitalbits.com BluRay panel at this years SDCC, and sadly the theatrical showings of TNG has come to an end. CBS hinted at it with their lack of releases, and Robert Meyer Burnett confirmed it.

What follows is pure speculation. Paramount hit CBS with a warning saying that Paramount owns the theatrical films, and probably the theatrical rights to Star Trek. They probably didn't bring it up before since the previous two showings were just successful enough to warrant futher screenings, but Best of Both Worlds was a huge success. With this huge success and the release of Trek13 looming in the distance, they probably exercised their rights by stating how they control the theatrical side of all Star Trek.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back