Question on new QMX phaser

Yep, they finally make the phaser that everyone wanted the first time and then they make it an exclusive from Amazon. I don't own or have any desire to buy a 3D tv - ever. So buying the 3D blu-ray is useless. And as a Canadian I can tell you buying from Amazon in the States is no walk in the park. This is one of the dumbest moves by QMX yet.

Fans wait three years for a spinning phaser and get the middle finger from QMX when the decide to make one.

You could easily sell the 3D blu-ray from the set on eBay or wherever, or unload it to a fan here. I thought the 3D Imax presentation of the film was spectacular, personally. Or you could wait until 2014 for the "hero" version of the STiD phaser, if you have the coin!

Lord knows QMx have had more than their fair share of blunders but the Phaser is not one of them. They released a heavy, 1:1, replica for $60. Similar static props by certain other companies would have cost 3X as much. There are similarly scaled resin kits in the JY that cost upwards of FIVE times as much (including my and Morganthirteen's Lawgiver kit).

They have admittedly completely dropped the ball on some of their Firefly offerings (like the large scale Serenity model that I and may others ended up paying 4X as much for when the initial announcement said $500). But in regards to the Trek phaser, they hit a home run on that one. I challenge anyone to find a better prop replica deal!

The combo-package available through Amazon is still basically the cost of a Bluray plus the replica. (And I'd be surprised if that set didn't include a standard Bluray version of the film as well.) It's still less than half the cost of what certain other companies would charge for the same piece.

Yep, they finally make the phaser that everyone wanted the first time and then they make it an exclusive from Amazon. I don't own or have any desire to buy a 3D tv - ever. So buying the 3D blu-ray is useless. And as a Canadian I can tell you buying from Amazon in the States is no walk in the park. This is one of the dumbest moves by QMX yet.

Fans wait three years for a spinning phaser and get the middle finger from QMX when the decide to make one.

Last edited:
Nothing about the phaser is metal plated. I wrongfully assumed such when I tried to remove over-spray from the top section that was hideously covering the whole piece and wiped the metallic paint right off with one single swipe of some Goof Off to the bare resin below. It gave me a chance to remove the resin warts and paint drips with sand paper that covered the gun though.

Last edited:
Does this answer your question?

http://www.therpf.com/f9/star-trek-into-darkness-replicas-185611/#post2907465

@Allen Castillo

All the Super Heros, Heros, and Tear Down phasers, that I made for Into Darkness is different and not identical to the 2009. The heros from 2009 had a totally different handle, had no lens or functioning rotary setting on top, had a ton of visible bolts holding the thing together, and the paint was different. So to say the phaser is identical is not correct.

With that said... the phaser QMx made for the film is the same design they had for the QMx 2009 replica but is now utilizing a magnetic hold for the manual rotate of the barrels that I developed for my tear downs in the film. QMx states that their phasers are pulls directly from the same molds. They are referring to their molds off their replicas... not my heros in the movie. If QMx provided background phasers for the film, I can not confirm what they may have provided and that could be the molds they are referring to. However, all the phasers on screen are mine... so I don't know where their backgrounds would be. Could have been cut out of the final edit. The phaser they are releasing with the dvd set, according to their site, will be spring loaded. I will be putting an article together so i will confirm what exactly they will be producing.

Now, the animatronic 2014 phaser they mentioned on their site would be mine. I mentioned to them that I would love to make a limited edition of the hero phaser I made for the film. I just want to be clear on a few things so there's not misunderstanding. I hope this helps clear up some questions.

Cheers,
Kenney

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing about the phaser is metal plated.

Well, I don't know what method they used but from your description they did not use electroplating or vac metalizing at least. The chrome effect on the bottom piece is a lot better than what you would get with an easily available paint (including Alclad) but there are of course more advanced coatings. One (somewhat noxious and nasty) method, called silvering (or some such), is done by subjecting the object to an acid based vapor that carries silver particles onto the piece resulting in an almost perfect chrome surface but with the properties of paint. Whether or not that constitutes "plating" I don't know, but it does use metal in some fashion.

Either way... the thing was a steal at that price. (Mine was close to flawless.)

Lord knows QMx have had more than their fair share of blunders but the Phaser is not one of them. They released a heavy, 1:1, replica for $60. Similar static props by certain other companies would have cost 3X as much. There are similarly scaled resin kits in the JY that cost upwards of FIVE times as much (including my and Morganthirteen's Lawgiver kit).

They have admittedly completely dropped the ball on some of their Firefly offerings (like the large scale Serenity model that I and may others ended up paying 4X as much for when the initial announcement said $500). But in regards to the Trek phaser, they hit a home run on that one. I challenge anyone to find a better prop replica deal!

The combo-package available through Amazon is still basically the cost of a Bluray plus the replica. (And I'd be surprised if that set didn't include a standard Bluray version of the film as well.) It's still less than half the cost of what certain other companies would charge for the same piece.

The phaser was a good deal and I would have LOVED to buy one... except that it's almost consistently "out-of-stock". This is something that bugs me about QMx: unless you check their site EVERY DAY, you're going to miss out.

Then, this phaser is the same QMX from the 2009 movie, which was a different size than the movie originals?
By the way, according to blu-ray.com the set will include the standard bluray.

:) lol Ok.... let me take another shot at this. The phaser QMx is releasing for sale with the bluray set is the same replica they released for the 2009 film. However, they have added a spring loaded rotating barrel now. (The background guns they supplied for the film: Into Darkness had a magnetic hold manual rotating mechanism I designed into my tear down guns in the film. They decided not to do this for their replica). They have also updated their colors to match my new paint scheme I gave the phaser for the film.

Now, all the heros I supplied for the film are all animatronic and have power setting lights. QMx's background guns they supplied production are not exact to my heros I supplied production. They're close..... But not the same. The coatings and paints I used for the film heros are not what QMx used for their background guns or their replicas being released with the bluray set. Their paint colors are close to mine but not the same coatings, paints, or even the application processes. Again, their background guns they supplied production is what they're basing their replicas on that you will get in the bluray set with the exception that they ran with a spring loaded mechanism vs a manual spin magnetic hold in their film production guns. So now, when you get the replica in the bluray release, you now getting a spring loaded barrel. (So no more hacking required) If you lay one of their replicas against one of their guns they supplied production, they are the same.... just the spinning (internal) mechanism is different.

Late, in 2014, I will be releasing, through QMx, and exact hero phaser to one of the heros I made for the film. Im not sure which one yet. I made 3different versions of the weapon. I made 5 Super Hero metal and plastic versions with animatronics and lights (I used industrial coatings and paints for the finishes), i also made 12 hero plastic version (using an industrial grade coating system to simulate metal) with animatronics and lights, and last I made 5 tear down plastic phasers with a manual spin (magnetic hold) spinner and electronics for the lights. I used the industrial coatings and paints for this phaser as well to simulate metal. No other details have been discussed between QMx and I at this time so its too early to say which one I would run with. Im thinking either the metal super hero or plastic hero which both have animatronics. By "animatronics" I mean.... a custom circuit board utilizing a programable chip synced with a programable digital servo and power setting lights controlled via a pot mounted to the adjusting dia on the top of the phaser.

So there you have it. Hopefully this clears up all the questions. :)

Then, this phaser is the same QMX from the 2009 movie, which was a different size than the movie originals?
By the way, according to blu-ray.com the set will include the standard bluray.

Yeah, you get both the 3D and 2D Blu-Ray discs. It's a great deal.

kenney,

thanks for the update...but sure would be sweet to have a breakdown phaser from QMX based on the one you created. just sayin' ;)

if QMX does offer these, would YOU be building them to order or would you supply ONE to QMX and they would, in turn, replicate it for mass production??

DrMcoy

Any props I do for QMx I would be doing the entire run of them. Andy, over at QMx, knows how passionate I am about my work and I'm not one for having my work farmed out for someone else to build. I'm just funny about that. I would rather put an exact prop in a fan's hands than someone else's version of my work.

Keep in mind, though, in addition to the heros I supplied to production, QMx also supplied background phasers based on their replica they originally produced. I think the fans will enjoy seeing the changes they made to their replica this time around. Especially with the spinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the breakdown phaser? Not sure if I would do anything with that one. I will be posting a video (kind of geekish) of me explaining how I researched Trek tech before building the tear down. It also explains in detail all the electronic sections of the tear down and how it works.... in theory. You'll know when I go to post the article. I hope you guys enjoy that.

Thank you for clarifying what we are getting with the preorder! :)
Still, I´ve read that the QMX is not an exact copy of the STXI phaser, that it´s size is different. Is that true?

Last edited:

Thats my big problem, its a US exclusive only, that isnt QMX fault or not entirely, this is the Paramount giving that middle finger you mentioned to anyone outside of the United States... I would love one of these but Im not buying 2 copies of the movie, one of which I cant watch, for a prop Phaser!

That said, I am tempted it would cost too much to buy in, they need to release this generally after the film.

Thats my big problem, its a US exclusive only, that isnt QMX fault or not entirely, this is the Paramount giving that middle finger you mentioned to anyone outside of the United States... I would love one of these but Im not buying 2 copies of the movie, one of which I cant watch, for a prop Phaser!

That said, I am tempted it would cost too much to buy in, they need to release this generally after the film.

As I posted before, and according to blu-ray.com, there will be separate 2D/DVD and 3D/DVD releases plus the Phaser replica release, wich will include BOTH 3D and 2D + DVD. I preordered from Argentina and there seems to be no problem.

What I mean is I dont want to buy the combo pack for the phaser but end up with a DVD I cant play on my Bluray player or PS3 in the UK due to the regional formatting :) I have already checked and know there are a DVD and a Bluray/3D Bluray release planned for the UK along with a Steelbook release just none which include a Phaser model.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back