Destiny (Video Game) Discussion

How long is the story? Also, how single-player-friendly is this game? I've toyed with the notion of getting it and playing single-player co-op with a buddy, but that's about as far as I wanna go with multiplayer. I have zero interest in pick-up groups or PvP.

There doesn't really seem to be a coherent story. Just missions. I played until i was level 13, then just totally lost interest in doing all the same stuff over and over. My son plays it now and can't get enough....i keep saying to him, "shouldn't you have hanged yourself by now from the monotony?"

I'm going to start playing Dragon Age Inquisition today. Much more meat and potatoes!

Rich

Just started playing the game (PS4) a few days ago. After reading through this thread, I think I'm playing through the campaign a bit too fast. I opened up Mars at level 15 and I'm not sure if that's a normal thing or not. I've done only one Crucible match, the strike mission and patrol on Earth and that's it so far.
As stated, I'm wondering if I'm playing through it too quickly and how much I've missed. I want to do more PvP and while I understand level advantages are disabled, I'm sorely lacking in the gear department and I'm just curious if I should take more time doing things before continuing on the next story mission.

And if anyone is so inclined, my PSN is infymys (duh).

Honestly, my friends and I didn't even finish the campaign until we were like level 23-27 because we did side
missions so much and didn't finish the entire campaign. :D

I think you're actually on track for level/completion. When you finish the campaign you receive a reward that
works perfectly with a lower level character, but if you're level 27+ you kind of go "Well, that was a waste of time." :)

How long is the story? Also, how single-player-friendly is this game? I've toyed with the notion of getting it and playing single-player co-op with a buddy, but that's about as far as I wanna go with multiplayer. I have zero interest in pick-up groups or PvP.

As has been said, the story is a bit... meh. You can do the majority of the game solo if that's your play style,
but there are definitely Strikes/Raids that give you better gear/upgrades that cannot be done solo.

If you do the random strikes from the playlist you're automagically assigned random teammates unless you are in a fireteam already.
It works out okay because people generally know what they're doing now.

Hmm. Think I'll pass, then, or at least wait for a demo and/or a sale. It basically sounds like Borderlands without the cartoony element. I enjoy Borderlands fine, but I haven't paid full freight for any of it, and I end up playing it solo. It's ok. Fun to run around shooting stuff. But it also feels kinda pointless, story-wise. I don't actually care about going on a raid to get more/better gear so that...uh...I can go on raids? That kind of hamster-wheel approach to gaming doesn't interest me if the baseline game itself isn't all that fantastic.

Hmm. Think I'll pass, then, or at least wait for a demo and/or a sale. It basically sounds like Borderlands without the cartoony element. I enjoy Borderlands fine, but I haven't paid full freight for any of it, and I end up playing it solo. It's ok. Fun to run around shooting stuff. But it also feels kinda pointless, story-wise. I don't actually care about going on a raid to get more/better gear so that...uh...I can go on raids? That kind of hamster-wheel approach to gaming doesn't interest me if the baseline game itself isn't all that fantastic.

Having not played it myself, the consensus I'm hearing is that the shooting is the best Bungie has ever done, but there's not really much story to speak of and the actual variety of content in the game is pretty thin. Sounds like a lot of grinding and repeating to level up/get better loot without much in the way of pretense (be it variety of stages or story) to drag you through it. I like me some Bungie, but I've already got Diablo 3 for my loot fix.

Having not played it myself, the consensus I'm hearing is that the shooting is the best Bungie has ever done, but there's not really much story to speak of and the actual variety of content in the game is pretty thin. Sounds like a lot of grinding and repeating to level up/get better loot without much in the way of pretense (be it variety of stages or story) to drag you through it. I like me some Bungie, but I've already got Diablo 3 for my loot fix.

Yeah, grinding for loot, so that you have better gear to allow you to grind for more loot, has never been something that interested me in and of itself. Either the gameplay itself must be a blast, or the story has to grab me.

Like, I enjoy Team Fortress 2. It has no story, and it's "just" a shooter, but I like the capture territory/capture the flag aspect of the game in and of itself, so loot drops are just a fun extra for me.

I've enjoyed other games, like Battlefield Bad Company 1 and 2, and -- for a little while, anyway, -- Battlefield 3, but after a while, shooting stuff for the sake of shooting stuff, absent any other real context, can get dull to me.

For me, a game like that is worth...eh...$30 or so. IF I can find a buddy to play with semi-regularly, I'd be willing to go as high as $50, but then I have to genuinely enjoy the shooting mechanics and other powers and such. But if it's really just "This is a machinegun +5. It is +1 better than your machinegun +4, and it shoots red lasers instead of blue," then...meh. Pass.

I really only like these games for multiplayer battles, or in this case, "the Crucible." In that sense, I like the leveling. Going on the missions is sort of a side excursion to level up for more Crucible battles, which are always unique.

They're stretching the story out to cover their 10 year plan and doing it badly sadly, they make you get half the info from the grimoire cards and to read those you have to go to a separate website. You pretty much have to team up with someone at points and i ended up with a friend request out of nowhere during my first mission. Which is why i didn't have a headset as i figured i wouldn't need it for a while. An interesting note: if you have social anxiety disorder it apparently carries over into meeting new people in gaming worlds too.

I don't know why there can't be matchmaking for every strike/mission that requires a team to accomplish. It wouldn't prevent people who have a crew from entering the level as a fireteam as they do now, but would allow those of us who don't have gaming friends to get through those missions. It's not like asking random people on forums or in the game (as difficult as that mechanism is) to go in with you assures you of a more successful team than a matched team would. If anything, your odds of well-matched teammates would be worse and they're asking you to go really far out of your way and outside the game to find those people.

Speaking of which: Weekly strike, anyone? I would love to complete that ridiculous three-part bounty that's dependent on me knowing two other xbox players with the game at my level (29/Hunter).

I hate to tell Bungie but if they don't do something this thing isn't going to be around in 2 years let alone 10. Everyone keeps trading it in, and 20.00 for each DLC is a bit much. I'm lucky as i got a pass for 2 of them in the special edition (which i honestly wanted mostly for the goodies). There's so many tweaks they could be doing that would help. 1) put the damned grimoire stuff into the game even if it's at some computer terminal. 2) fix the match making end of things 3) put some story back in it, we already know you guys cut out stuff for some reason and we all have the bad feeling it's so you had stuff for the DLC 4) give us some more history on the world even if they're teasers: why are the awakened blue and living in space (aside from what we learn about the colony ships). Why is it our guy is revived in russia but speaks perfect english, even if english was standard in the golden age you'd still have an accent.

You should be able to download a demo that will let you play up to a level 7 character. I know it was available on both XBL and PSN over Christmas.

I hate to tell Bungie but if they don't do something this thing isn't going to be around in 2 years let alone 10. Everyone keeps trading it in, and 20.00 for each DLC is a bit much. I'm lucky as i got a pass for 2 of them in the special edition (which i honestly wanted mostly for the goodies). There's so many tweaks they could be doing that would help. 1) put the damned grimoire stuff into the game even if it's at some computer terminal. 2) fix the match making end of things 3) put some story back in it, we already know you guys cut out stuff for some reason and we all have the bad feeling it's so you had stuff for the DLC 4) give us some more history on the world even if they're teasers: why are the awakened blue and living in space (aside from what we learn about the colony ships). Why is it our guy is revived in russia but speaks perfect english, even if english was standard in the golden age you'd still have an accent.

I agree with everything you said with the possible exception of the Russian accent thing. After all, you can go to many foreign countries and find people that speak English without a regional accent. Who's to say you weren't trying to evacuate through the cosmodrome on one of the escape shuttles?

I REALLY agree on (4). There's really no reason why they couldn't have added a few more cinematics explaining the setting/characters/etc.

I REALLY like the game, but it is NOT without it's many and varied flaws, the lack of an immersive story being chief among them. How much do you
care about the NPCs in the game? If you said, "There are NPCs in the game??" then I agree with you. :)

The Ghost aside, you never really have that emotional bond with the characters like you did with any of the
characters in Halo. The majority of them are entirely forgettable. Which is sad.

The new Eris character should have had a cinematic cutscene explaining how she escaped and made
it back to the tower... or something. Lost opportunity there.

And the ability to bypass cutscenes you've seen 200 times would be nice too. :) Like I said, not remotely a
flawless game, but it is pretty fun overall.

I'm not so fond of the ghost either, I know the actor is from Thrones but he sounds so damned bored the entire time. I'd rather have Eric Idle or John Cleese as mine that way they can be snarky when you mess up lol. This is my first MMO so it just feels weird that there's other folks running around the battlefield at the same time as me. I found myself very conscious to make sure i accidentally didn't shoot someone or the enemy they were after. As beautiful as the game is I agree it could use more cut scenes. It's hard to believe that bungie put out something that isn't a huge hit like halo was, every time you see a post about the game folks are trading it in already.

I'm not so fond of the ghost either, I know the actor is from Thrones but he sounds so damned bored the entire time. I'd rather have Eric Idle or John Cleese as mine that way they can be snarky when you mess up lol. This is my first MMO so it just feels weird that there's other folks running around the battlefield at the same time as me. I found myself very conscious to make sure i accidentally didn't shoot someone or the enemy they were after. As beautiful as the game is I agree it could use more cut scenes. It's hard to believe that bungie put out something that isn't a huge hit like halo was, every time you see a post about the game folks are trading it in already.

I will troll slightly...act like I'm going to run them over or kill all the baddies as quickly as possible leaving them sitting there. Or just trying to see what they find. All in good fun of course then I'm off again like a bat outta hell.

There are times when you're hunting for a particular bad guy (Blade of Crota for example...) and someone
will sweep in and kill him and you don't get credit. But overall, it's not that big of a deal. I've been assisted
by total strangers in taking down a tough enemy and sharing the credit, and other times left to do it on my
own. If someone in your area is getting all the kills, it's easy enough to move to another area as each area
is populated with enemy about the same.

If you accidentally shoot a fellow player, it's not going to harm them at all (unless in crucible). Most people
deal with it and move on. No big deal. :)

That's so weird!

One of the points i made to my son was how much i dislike Dinklebots voice and "why couldn't they have got John Cleese to do the voice?" It would have been awesome, he would sound sarcastic, witty, cutting, just leaps and bounds better than "flavour of the moment" Peter Dinklidge......

Rich

I think Dinlidge would be good if he didn't seem so bored, it could be the material too. Considering they got Paul McCartney to do a music video and song you'd think they coulda got him to do the voice or maybe ringo lol. I feel bad for the guy who friended me the other night as it'll be next week before the headsets come in lol.

I've been playing every night now and I'm not sure why everyone complains about the leveling up, i'm not even trying that hard and I've hit level 19 already but then again this game attracted alot of folks who just do FPS and I'm used to grinding levels in RPGs lol. I've noticed that on normal the game is pretty easy at this point minus from defending warsats on the moon, that mission seems to give everyone problems at times. Only issue i've had was during one of these when the other character ran in front of my rocket launcher while cloaked and blew us both up.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back