Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

My shield was very floppy until I pulled my brackets on. No flop after the brackets. My local waldirt hasn't cleared cedar out their metal sleds so you should be able to get one easily.

IMG_1995.JPGIMG_1996.JPGIMG_1998.JPGFinally got my shield finished! That tape you suggested? Great stuff, but just make sure you don't use any of it for anything else, you will need the entire roll! Also, like I mentioned a while back, don't pack it into a cloth bag until the clearkote is completely dry, or it'll take fabric impressions-I'm still sanding! Otherwise, this tutorial was a Godsend, and it caps off my Cap costume perfectly! Thanks, Valor!!

I have to throw my shield into the ring on this one. It took me more than a year I think since I first messaged Valor and this thread helped me through a lot. She's not perfect but for a prototype and first attempt, I can live with the flaws. Already looking forward to doing a second, not to mention working up to one of the aluminum shields.
IMG_0746.JPGIMG_0749.JPGIMG_0752.JPG

hey valor, in the end of your final product... how wide was the diameter? just a question, im making a shield for halloween and i wanna try to get the biggest shield i can, any tips how to make it big, while also keeping the edge angle right?

hey valor, in the end of your final product... how wide was the diameter? just a question, im making a shield for halloween and i wanna try to get the biggest shield i can, any tips how to make it big, while also keeping the edge angle right?

I could probably answer this if Valor doesn't get to. Most likely the largest diameter you can get out of this saucer sled will be about 24". The original sled not only has a rolled edge but has two sets of holes at each end where the rope handles thread through. Once you trim just past the holes you are left with about 24".

Correct!

I could probably answer this if Valor doesn't get to. Most likely the largest diameter you can get out of this saucer sled will be about 24". The original sled not only has a rolled edge but has two sets of holes at each end where the rope handles thread through. Once you trim just past the holes you are left with about 24".

- - - Updated - - -

Correct!

Great stuff. I started one of these last week and just found this thread. Amazing how similar the techniques I'm using are, but the strapping system here is an upgrade from what I had planned, so I will be attempting that.

My shield is for my Winter Soldier cosplay so I need to basically destroy my paint job. Does anyone have any ideas on how turn these gorgeous paint jobs into the picture attached?

captain-america-winter-solider-sebastian-stan.jpg

Multiple acrylic washes of black and gray.
If you have an automotive/professional clear coat on your shield, could do the weathering and then remove the wash to still have a perfect paint job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap. Lost my post. Short version: I painted a black acrylic coat and then dipped the brush in water and hit it again. Let it sit for about a minute. Wiped it down, Pretty happy with the results. Need to do it again after applying the star.

20150418_184503.jpg 20150418_184851.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 457099hayley atwell signed my shield!!!!!!

Looch, totally awesome!!! I'm not doing a Cap cosplay anytime soon but I'm seriously entertaining the notion of making one of these JUST to bring to cons for autographs... this year between Boston and Rhode Island I think I will be able to get 5 MCU signatures on it if I do (Hayley, Stan Lee, Brett Dalton, Ming-Na Wen, and Karen Gillan). Chris Evans has done some charity things around Boston as well and I think I might have an outside chance of getting it to him at some point. But all in all, just think it would look completely awesome hanging on the wall and much better than a bunch of 8x10 pics I never get around to getting framed.

hey valor, i was wondering about the durability of the shield, is it very flexible and bendy? or is it strong and solid, i don't plan to add the metal braces on the back so how would it fare? please answer as soon as possible because i have a 3 week deadline and i need to get it done. thanks, Nerdstrosity

Without the brackets it has some flex to it. If you don't cut off the roller edge it is really solid.

Hi valor. Incredible work you've done. I've been a long time follower of this thread and now I'm ready to start building my shield at last. I just bought one of the spun shields and was curious if you sold a handle/bracket kit. If so how much is it? Thank you for your time

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back