whose R2-D2 parts are these?

Zorg - give Quick Steel a go instead of milliputt.

It's a dark grey metal putty that has a black coloured hardener packed in the middle like a stick of rock so just chop a bit off and kneed it with your fingers until the grey and black colours blend.

It gets a little warm as it sets and does so very quickly, plus it gets very very hard.

I'm not sure how well it would stay stuck to the metal on the outside, particularly if it took a knock, but I'd think it would do so much better than milliput. It would be the perfect stuff to reinforce a joint on the inside though.

Not dirt cheap for the amount you get in the tube, but it's good stuff. You should find it in places like Halfords etc..
http://www.motorshop1.co.uk/quiksteel.asp

Hope that helps :)

Jeremy

JB Weld is what I planned to go with. To be honest though. I've built three or four of them and I hardly noticed the slight radius on the leg :)

The first generation legs were softer than than the second. Of course I think the second gens were more prone to the splits since they overground them to try for a sharper corner.

If you take them in to be re-welded and reinforced just have then add on a couple extra beads of welds then file/grind them to your preference.

-Gary

I used a pair of Gary's legs on an R2 I built...I still have his feet on my personal one.

It was the coolest part I had back in the day.....oh the good ol' days....:cool

Wayne

Zorg - give Quick Steel a go instead of milliputt.

It's a dark grey metal putty that has a black coloured hardener packed in the middle like a stick of rock so just chop a bit off and kneed it with your fingers until the grey and black colours blend.

It gets a little warm as it sets and does so very quickly, plus it gets very very hard.

I'm not sure how well it would stay stuck to the metal on the outside, particularly if it took a knock, but I'd think it would do so much better than milliput. It would be the perfect stuff to reinforce a joint on the inside though.

Not dirt cheap for the amount you get in the tube, but it's good stuff. You should find it in places like Halfords etc..
http://www.motorshop1.co.uk/quiksteel.asp

Hope that helps :)

Jeremy

thanks jeremy,
ive not heard of that stuff before. do you know if it sands well?

i might still try the plasticard route(possibly 20thou) and fill the voids at the corners with car body filler.

to be honest only the geekyest geek from the planet geek would point it out but i must be one of them:redface

cheers guys

zorg

I have a set of these "Weaver legs" ... actually, still in the same shape they were in when I got them YEARS ago. :( My fault, no time. ;)

Anyway, as Gary mentioned, when they came out, that was the ONLY aluminum part available to the group. And to this day, even if they require some work, I still think they're great. I plan to square up the corners; as Jason mentioned, I know someone used some sort of putty to do this, but haven't found anyone who remembers what it was called.

Gary, if you're still reading, I still have to dig into my dead computer to find the files for the project we talked about at Plano. ;)

ATM
ShackMan

Yes, project good. Most interested in seeing what you come up with. And if you want to have more fun I have updates we could apply to some of them :)

-Gary

thanks jeremy,
ive not heard of that stuff before. do you know if it sands well?

i might still try the plasticard route(possibly 20thou) and fill the voids at the corners with car body filler.

to be honest only the geekyest geek from the planet geek would point it out but i must be one of them:redface

cheers guys

zorg

Hi zorg - yep it sands ok, it's a bit harder than standard grade milliput but otherwise quite similar.

(Maybe get some and muck about with it with something else first to see if it'll work for your R2) I used it to bond my metal logic box housings to the inside of my dome and it's been holding them in palce firmly for a couple of years now. It's strength and the fact that it hardens in minutes makes it very useful in my opinion!

Jeremy

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back