Westworld (HBO)

Also when Bernard and Theresa first enter the house, its a blank wall where the door would be. It doesn't even cut, camera pans over before she asks about the door, then pans back and it's there.

I had to rewind it to check the first time hehe

Must have been the same door Ford comes out of when Bernard first enters the house and sees the unregistered hosts. I thought it was kind of strange how he just appeared there, almost seemed out of thin air. Then I thought, was he really just standing there in the corner the whole time? A "hidden" door to the basement that Bernard couldn't see makes perfect sense.

I was wondering how long it would be before...

we found out a character we thought was human turned out to be a robot. Didn't think it would be Bernard, but it makes so much sense now.

Good episode. Pretty brutal. Loved 'problem' host scene and how it ends on Hopkin's face. He does nothing but so much is still said. Great stuff.

So is it possible Bernard is a replacement of a real Bernard? Am I imagining things or did Bernard have a real convo (at distance) with the mother of his child? If so it could be a fake memory but still, replacing your workforce is a great way of maintaining control (said the most evil CEO ever)

WOW.. this episode turned everything upside down.

We're getting glimpses of the Futureworld plot with replacements.
I love this show.-Gary

I was thinking that as well.

Did not see that one coming tonight.
Now the question is, how many more of them are there. And if so, who?

Again... very Battlestar-esque. Now we're left to question who is real and who's a Cylon... I mean Host.

Man this show is amazing. Only 3 more episodes for this season. THIS is why I hate getting into shows like this. How long will it be before we get season 2?

Watched this episode again today.

I'm amazed at how much Sir Hopkins can say without saying anything at all. His facial expressions, his body language, his eyes...it all is just so amazing.

I've read a bit about how "Westworld" seemed to not really have a true villain...

...Logan is a jerk, but he's not really a "villain" in the sense that our heroes can effectively have a drawn out conflict with him.
...the MiB is pretty ruthless in the park, but we've found out that he is probably a pretty good dude in the real world, and to him this is all a game so murdering Hosts is just part of that to him.
...Ford had seemed like a guy that was just truly interested in running his park the way that he wanted it run, and was willing to be pretty creepy in order to do so.

...however, after this episode it became 100% clear that Ford is obviously our villain...a guy that is willing to go to great lengths to maintain his control over his creation. The way he said that the hosts are free, under his control, and then obviously the act of murder...it just all became very clear that Ford is a bad, bad man.

I love watching each episode several times and noticing little things that I didn't during the first viewing. Like how seabass mentioned that the door isn't there when Bernard and Theresa first enter the house...I hadn't noticed that the first time I watched it.

Now that I know about Bernard, I feel that if I were to go back and watch the previous episodes I'd pick up on other little clues...kind of like after you find out that Bruce Willis is actually dead in "Sixth Sense," when you watch it a second time a lot of things really fall into place.

I'm reading a lot more theories about Bernard being a Host version of Arnold...some of the evidence seems to make a bit of sense, as well. The picture we were shown earlier in the series of "Ford and Arnold" we now know is Ford and the Host version of his father...with the other third of the picture blank in a way that seems kind of odd. What if the actual photo has Arnold in it, and Arnold is just Bernard...but Bernard can't see it because they're programmed not to see things that would hurt them. It would also do a bit of explaining about Bernard and Dolores's conversations...maybe those conversations were actually Arnold and Dolores...

I don't know...there's so many things going on, and it seems like so many things are possible right now.

Of course, we'll probably be left with a huge cliffhanger to end this season...most likely Dolores saying "Hello Arnold" as she enters a room or something, and then the camera starting to pan only to go black right before we see who it is...

Did Logan say something likes, "There's not even a picture of him [Arnold]" - I can't recall the exact line, but seem to remember something along those lines...

Did Logan say something likes, "There's not even a picture of him [Arnold]" - I can't recall the exact line, but seem to remember something along those lines...

Yes.

He told William that when he was talking about his lawyers looking into the park.

That was one one of the reasons that I have wondered if Arnold never really existed at all, and was instead just a program that Ford had written...maybe his very first AI program.

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now.

This is my theory. A.R.N.O.L.D.

An acronym for something with the A standing for:

Artificial or Advanced
Robotics?
Nucleus?
Operating or Origin?
L?
Delivery?

I've been thinking the same thing for a while now.

This is my theory. A.R.N.O.L.D.

An acronym for something with the A standing for:

Artificial or Advanced
Robotics?
Nucleus?
Operating or Origin?
L?
Delivery?

I've been trying to come up with stuff for an acronym, too...

I keep starting with:
Alternate
Reality

...for some reason...

Don't forget if you keep wondering about it that each letter might not have a separate word, or some might not even be there...for instance it might just be ARNLD, and they just say it as "Arnold." Likewise, NORAD is North American Aerospace Defense...so we don't necessarily have to have a word for each letter in ARNOLD.

That said, I keep getting stumped while playing around with it!

Sidse Babett Knudsen was terrific in this series. Her last moments were really terrifying. One complaint, how big is this park?!! That train had been rolling for two solid days.

Sidse Babett Knudsen was terrific in this series. Her last moments were really terrifying. One complaint, how big is this park?!! That train had been rolling for two solid days.

They said in one of the QA things I read that it's about 500 square miles. Who knows how the track is laid out...it could double back around mountains and bluffs in ways to make it take a lot longer to go a short distance.

Im kind of hoping that eventually we see a satellite type image of the park, or map on one of the tablets that lends some real scale to everything.

That's a bit less than 22.5 miles X 22.5 miles.

Rather giant for foot traffic, not so much for a train. Even if ran completely around the outside, that 90 miles. Running the train at 10 MPH gets you around the track in 9 hours, not 48.

Re: HBO gives us a "Westworld" remake as a series!

And, what about Elsie?! I like her aggressively analytical character but think she may have met her end. Who grabbed her and where is she now?

That's a bit less than 22.5 miles X 22.5 miles.

Rather giant for foot traffic, not so much for a train. Even if ran completely around the outside, that 90 miles. Running the train at 10 MPH gets you around the track in 9 hours, not 48.

Agreed.

Are we sure they've been on the train for two whole days?

They first got on it in the middle of one night, then we know there's been a second night when William and Dolores got...uhhh...intimate...then when he wakes up in the morning the train suddenly stops and then they're off.

So, it's possible that they've only been on the train for only a little more than one day, depending on what time they actually got on it after the giant orgy party...figure they get on the train at 3am, then the train stops at 8am, that's only 29 hours.

That's also if the train didn't stop at all that we weren't shown...trains tend to stop quite a bit even today, so I imagine that in the 1800s they probably stopped even more often.

It is an awfully hard detail to just kind of ignore, though...it does seem that they've been on the train for far longer than what it would seem possible given the stated size of the park.

One thing that I had wondered was maybe the park is 500 square miles, but it's actually divided up into small areas that are actually only being accessed by this train...like maybe Pariah is actually a separate parcel of land owned by the park that is separate from the "main" area that includes Sweetwater. If you owned "500 square miles" of ONLY the area large enough for a train track, you'd own a LOT more than just 500 miles of track...so if they own basically the land that the train runs on for certain areas, but NOT the land around it, that ends up giving them quite a bit of real estate that is only slightly wider than the train track...so if they owned parcels of land, and then the very thin "rail lines" that connected those areas, they could be a pretty great distance apart while still fitting into the 500 square miles.

I hope that makes sense...

I found a calculator that can help with the point I'm trying to make...

If you figure they'd need to own, say, 20 feet wide tracts of land in order for the railroad to function, then you could have a whopping 265 miles of track and still only have "one square mile" of land that you would own. If you cut it to only 15 feet of width, you get roughly 350 miles of length to still stay within that "one square mile" of land that you'd own.

It's also possible that we are trying to analyze something that we shouldn't really be trying to analyze...:lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back