Tron Legacy Costume

Wow! You did a fantastic job, Alea! Your cosplay was great! I can't believe that was your first time doing cosplay! Your costume looks really cool especially with all the effects from the background lights. You should be really proud of your costume. I can't imagine all the hard work you put into it. I'm sure it was frustrating when some of the tape sections wouldn't light up. But it really turned out amazing. Excellent work! :)

Thank you all for the nice comments.

It was really difficult for me to do this, and I spent a lot of time on it (much more than a skilled cosplayer I guess). The last 3 weeks, I worked on it from 5 to 10 hours per day. I tried some things, tried other, did and redid things many times during the 4 months I spent working on it (the beginning was not very productive).

Indeed I was so frustrated to see my work not accurate because of an additions of fails. If my boyfriend had not been there, I would have thrown it away before the show and never worn it. I was lucky Tron Legacy wasn't a popular cosplay in the country where I live (in USA, you have so many beautiful cosplays of it !!) so people liked my work even if it wasn't accurate. But I guess it is because you cannot find the supplies needed in my country (I had to order it from USA, UK, China,...).
And we don't have threads about how to do such a costume.

Thank you again, to all of you, because I couldn't have donne it alone.

Fantastic costume. I was also impressed at how easily you could move in it, based on the YouTube video. Oftentimes the connections are fragile and movement can break them, but your costume held up very well, despite the lower part not lighting up.

I can't wait to see some video and pictures of you in version 2 of the costume!

Re: Tron Legacy Costume - TRON costume group at DRAGOCON 2012?

Greetings fellow costume-programmers! Doesn't anyone knows if there's gonna be a TRON-theme costume group at Dragoncon 2012? I would like to be part of it if possible. Where can I find info on that if anyone knows - thank you for any input! :)

Greetings fellow costume-programmers! Doesn't anyone knows if there's gonna be a TRON-theme costume group at Dragoncon 2012? I would like to be part of it if possible. Where can I find info on that if anyone knows - thank you for any input! :)

Make one!!!!!

another subject:

Tron-Sector: Forums (I/O Tower)

For those local to Socal, I plan to take my casual tron (te hee, seriously) to downtown disney when they take the tour there. There is one in LBC, but it doesn't last until night. I want to glow for the user, which program will join me? P.S. I have an extra clu (reflective jacket I may have a friend wear with me)

Read the first thread and you'll see all the times.

Thanks, but EASIER SAID THAN DONE when it's a NEWBIE/First Timer attending D*C like myself and I need to STUDY the WHOLE LAYOUT of the experience beforehand. I don't want to STRESS MYSELF TOO MUCH on making a group meeting if I don't know the layout/crowd control, etc. of what goes on there(I still needs to get MYSELF straighten out for the BIG TRIP). I rather rely on someone who has been there enough to know WHAT BE BEST to meet up and such if they done so/participated in such a group. ;)

Make one!!!!!

another subject:

Tron-Sector: Forums (I/O Tower)

For those local to Socal, I plan to take my casual tron (te hee, seriously) to downtown disney when they take the tour there. There is one in LBC, but it doesn't last until night. I want to glow for the user, which program will join me? P.S. I have an extra clu (reflective jacket I may have a friend wear with me)

Read the first thread and you'll see all the times.

@Alea: I've seen your work on dA! You're one of the best Quorras that I've seen. You did a great job making it as accurate as possible. I'm shocked at how well you could move. I had a few light malfunctions due to movement. Hopefully I can fix that for version two of my costume. Your version two looks spectacular. Can't wait to see video or more photos of it.

Well things got a bit hectic as the deadline for the convention came nearer (plus I picked up some extra work) So I wasn't able to fully detail the armor for the Tron Anon suit like I wanted. I went with the basic look of the suit and even though I wanted to use El Wire, the reflective tape ended up working beautifully thanks to the members of this thread. I could not have pulled this off without the prior research done by you guys. Thanks!

Unfortunately my photographer only got one good picture with the flash, I'm still looking through photos from the con to see if I can find more.

Andre 1 by Detravoid, on Flickr

Here's a better look at the Tron Anon with the El Wire along with the Daft Punk helmets I was working on the last couple months

Daft Punk 1 by Detravoid, on Flickr

Hey all, so I am finishing up my TRON costume and am curious...where did you guys purchase your EL tape? also, what lengths did you get and how many inverters did you use?
thanks for your help!

Well things got a bit hectic as the deadline for the convention came nearer (plus I picked up some extra work) So I wasn't able to fully detail the armor for the Tron Anon suit like I wanted. I went with the basic look of the suit and even though I wanted to use El Wire, the reflective tape ended up working beautifully thanks to the members of this thread. I could not have pulled this off without the prior research done by you guys. Thanks!

Unfortunately my photographer only got one good picture with the flash, I'm still looking through photos from the con to see if I can find more.

Andre 1 by Detravoid, on Flickr

Here's a better look at the Tron Anon with the El Wire along with the Daft Punk helmets I was working on the last couple months

Daft Punk 1 by Detravoid, on Flickr

Wow! This looks so awesome. It's too bad that you couldn't use wire, but I think the reflective tape did it's job perfectly. It looks wonderful. Can't wait to see more shots of the full costume.

I don't remember if you said before, and I apologize for not looking further back in the thread, but what did you use for your helmet? It looks like it glows in the photo of you, but when it's lined up with the other helmets it looks like paint. Doesn't look bad! In fact, it looks really good. That's why I'm curious.

Greetings programs. I've perused the RPF for a while now, but this is my first post! Was just wondering if anyone had a ball park for how much an artfunk Rinzler commission was? If you know but aren't comfortable with posting here, feel free to PM me. It would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently working on my own helmet, but am terribly paranoid on how it will come out. I figure a back up plan is always good to have. It's about the only thing I'm worried about. I already have my two discs that I'm gonna mod, and have purchased the fabric for my bodysuit that I will start silk screening soon. For the armor I'm going to do the old craft foam and mod podge trick. I've used this for my Wheatley head/mask from Portal 2 and it completely changed the texture of the material.

Hoping to have my Rinzler costume for SDCC 2013 (assuming I can get tickets next year) and my wife will have her Black Guard costume. That one is proving to be even harder because not many have attempted it. Especially the helmet.

Wow! This looks so awesome. It's too bad that you couldn't use wire, but I think the reflective tape did it's job perfectly. It looks wonderful. Can't wait to see more shots of the full costume.

I don't remember if you said before, and I apologize for not looking further back in the thread, but what did you use for your helmet? It looks like it glows in the photo of you, but when it's lined up with the other helmets it looks like paint. Doesn't look bad! In fact, it looks really good. That's why I'm curious.

Thanks! I actually did use the wire on the helmet, It's all I had time to add the wire on. I got the wire from amazon, and it was pretty thin so I basically just laid the strands on the helmet alongside each other and had to drill some holes to run it from the inside to give it a clean look. I liked the surprised looks that people got when they took a picture of my friend with the flash on, it assured me the tape was a good idea haha.

Greetings programs. I've perused the RPF for a while now, but this is my first post! Was just wondering if anyone had a ball park for how much an artfunk Rinzler commission was?

If you want a 100% completed helmet it will cost around $600. If you want a basic kit, which is what I got, then it will cost around $300. However, it's made really big. I had to size mine down about 50% before it fit me. So I would go with the kit in case it's too big for your head.

Thanks! I actually did use the wire on the helmet, It's all I had time to add the wire on. I got the wire from amazon, and it was pretty thin so I basically just laid the strands on the helmet alongside each other and had to drill some holes to run it from the inside to give it a clean look. I liked the surprised looks that people got when they took a picture of my friend with the flash on, it assured me the tape was a good idea haha.

Oh, I see! Well, awesome job with the wiring, and the reflective tape. It's very clean and looks really wonderful. I'm thinking I may use reflective tape for my next version of Rinzler (just the suit). So much easier, haha.

Last edited:
Hey guys! First costume I ever made, let me know what you guys think!

a71RBl.jpg

Lots of hours of sewing, but I used EL wire. It's a different approach from that of the movie, but I still like the direction this went

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back