Diamond Select toy Star Trek III phaser coming

The early prototype they showed looked much more accurate. Here's the toy on top and a screenused prop below.

toyvsprop.jpg

Yeah.... Some odd contours on the grip, and too squared off at the back under the top. And the P1 is entirely missing the side channel.....

Anyone received theirs ordering from any place besides direct from Diamond? I'm thinking of placing an order with Entertainment Earth. I didn't know if other places online had any stock yet.

It would be awesome to see what your approach to this is.

Mine will probably be a lot like yours, only with a bit more swearing!

(That is looking quite good- Did you go black or very dark grey on the P1?)

Mine will take a while, as I'm adding a retractable belt clip. I may design fancy parts and have them 3D printed, and that will add about 3 weeks to the process...

Chris, Did you do anything to the P1 and 2 to make it easier to put the P1 in place? Mine is pretty difficult to get back on.
Very, very tight. If I paint it the paint will just scrape right off the when I try to put the P1 in place.

Anyone received theirs ordering from any place besides direct from Diamond? I'm thinking of placing an order with Entertainment Earth. I didn't know if other places online had any stock yet.

I ordered from EE on June 29th, and it shipped on July 6. Though I'm not sure why their website still says "Coming soon" rather than in stock.

Chris, Did you do anything to the P1 and 2 to make it easier to put the P1 in place? Mine is pretty difficult to get back on.
Very, very tight. If I paint it the paint will just scrape right off the when I try to put the P1 in place.

Basically a lot of sanding. I sanded down the inside of the cradle, especially where the emitter fits in, and applied only a very thin coat of paint and clear coat to that area. Also, since the battery cover panel on mine didn't sit flush with the rest of the P1 body and I did fill the screw holes, I sanded down the bottom of the P1 quite a bit. Lastly, I cut the rear locking tab shorter.

It fit much easier prior to painting but I'm letting the paint cure a bit longer before actually trying to connect the two again. So now I'm pretty much just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't scrape the paint right off!

Mine will probably be a lot like yours, only with a bit more swearing!

(That is looking quite good- Did you go black or very dark grey on the P1?)

Mine will take a while, as I'm adding a retractable belt clip. I may design fancy parts and have them 3D printed, and that will add about 3 weeks to the process...

Thank you! I went with a flat black on mine.
It would be cool to see the prototype version with 3D printed charging ports (or whatever they are supposed to be) added to the sides!

So I'm gathering that there is no magnetic connection that holds the phaser 1 to the pistol?

This is a very disappointing piece. Even considering that DST makes toys and not prop replicas, this is no doubt a product for the adult collector market. However it shows none of the investment and polish that draws that type of customer.

I can appreciate it as a kit of sorts, but that's faint praise for something intended to be a finished product.

This is a very disappointing piece. Even considering that DST makes toys and not prop replicas, this is no doubt a product for the adult collector market. However it shows none of the investment and polish that draws that type of customer.

I hear what you are saying, and you are not wrong; however, as an old guy, I remember when this was the best we could get:

27686641_1_m.jpg

I have one of these, and even as a 10 year old kid, I was very disappointed!

This is a much better effort. It is probably good enough for most costumers, and for us prop-tinker types, it is a lot of fun!

This is a much better effort. It is probably good enough for most costumers, and for us prop-tinker types, it is a lot of fun!

I'm not without some sympathy for a smaller company building a toy from a 30 year old niche film at a weird price point somewhere along the spectrum between child's toy and high-end replica. That can't be easy. I'm sure marketing products is difficult the further away they get from iconic pieces like the first Art Asylum phaser. This is possibly my favorite Star Trek prop, so it's rough to finally see the compromises so clearly. No doubt though, I'll have fun treating it as a kit of sorts. And I still hold some hope that the prototype version may appear as an exclusive sometime soon.

I ordered one from EE and one from New Force. I don't post much here, but I've been waiting for this one since 1986, when I got Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, so it'll always be the Sestra Phaser IIB to me,

Yes, it's not prop quality, and cries for some more effort to have been put in. I bought 2 specifically so I'd have one to improve later (the TMPs go for too much on eBay). I'll more likely contract one of you experts to apply your craft, assuming I'm not breaking any forum rules. I'm eager to see the fixes you post!

Mine is stuck in "try me " mode. Pulled the tab and even took the batteries out. Just fires even in the off position. screw covers won't budge.
Any ideas?

Mine is stuck in "try me " mode. Pulled the tab and even took the batteries out. Just fires even in the off position. screw covers won't budge.
Any ideas?

Mine did this too. I had to put the plastic tab back in and wiggle it around several times. Eventually it went into normal mode.

Thanks much Mr. WIlliams! I have waited for this phaser since 1984 but my god it needs work and a little weight put in it. I'm happy with it (or will be?).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back