GK (Greedo Killer) Dl-44 Grill: We need a new one! Who can tackle this?

scottjua

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Dan and I noticed something when obsessing over our Greedo Killer builds... the current Corellian Exports Grills we have now have an inaccurate number of fins on the grill.

The CE one has 12 fins vs. the correct 11

Reference
ANH_GK_real_left.jpg

Original_LARGE_contrast.jpg

The Current/New CE Grill
001.JPG

So... being completely crazy... I am really wanting a correct piece...

I can't make this with manual tools... or let's say I have zero desire to even try. So anyone with CNC skills and ability to make this... let me know.

Yeah. I tried to get an explanation for this by CE but all I got was a rude answer followed by radio silence. Not exactly what you'd call customer service.

I'd be in the market for an accurate grill as well

Might I ask what the original 'found' part was, which was used by the propmakers? ... Sorry if blasters are not really my cup of tea ... still I'm rather curious though ;)

Chaim

I just checked the grills on my two GK´s and both have 11...obtained by CE back the days!?

Did not know he changed the design/ number of fins over the years (to be honest, I did not even counted these until now and just implied them being accurate)

Markus

I'm would like to work with Vince on an Active Project for this blaster. It's not in the near future but it is it is on my radar

Shoot, I've been acquiring parts for a GK the past month or so and was happy to have found a good deal on a CE Aluminum one ... it also has 12 fins! Such an intricate and awesome piece tough, will probably just keep it. For now ...

Might I ask what the original 'found' part was, which was used by the propmakers? ... Sorry if blasters are not really my cup of tea ... still I'm rather curious though ;)

Chaim

I'm guessing no one has identified the original part or else even the casual observer like myself would have heard something.

Has as there been any theories or leads in the past?

i was wondering about engine parts from a large scale aircraft engine/motor. Something like this....

http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/images/rc-magneto.jpg

I would guess it's a heat sink for electronics, possibly off scrap aircraft.

Right, but isn't the point of the grill when designed into the cylinder serve the same purpose of a heat sink (cools a device by dissipating heat into the surrounding medium)?

The interesting thing about a the engine cylinder, is the inside is has to be round to incorporate the cylinder. Therefore a if you cut it in half (or it was made in two separate pieces) you would have a section that would fit nicely in the front of a 96c Mauser.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/images/hd_cyc_head.jpg

I know they are different from the the rings that are screen used. However I am wondering if the ones in the Chronicles are two different rings. The front one looks like a 1" rise and a larger fastener.

I know they are different from the the rings that are screen used. However I am wondering if the ones in the Chronicles are two different rings. The front one looks like a 1" rise and a larger fastener.

Same ring, differently sized fastener...good eye Frank!
Will replace the front ring on mine now ;)

... done!

Original_LARGE_contrast.jpg

Thanks again for pointing it out!
Now all that´s missing is to replace the 3 discs with more accurate -thicker/ larger- ones...soon on my ToDo list ;)

Markus

Last edited:
Wow, that looks fantastic Markus... I'd love to do a Greedo killer on my spare MGC, but finding parts for it has been a pain in my a**... Oh man, and that scope... One thing that I do notice about yours that seems off is the dimensions of the crossbar. The original seems thicker, taller, and has some taper on the very edge of the crossbar, which yours doesn't seem to have. And yes, the discs also look a little small too. Still looks nice and sweet though! :thumbsup

the thickness of the crossbar is correct (just a matter of the angle the pic was taken), but you are right about the length and the missing slight taper torwards the front...didn't think about it since these features are present on my second GK variation, which feature a newer version of CE's mount.

added a new crossbar to the todo-list for this blaster...and it seems that the flashhider has to be repositioned a tad more forward ;)

Markus

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back