SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

I keep wondering if the average viewer thinks this is typical reality show BS or if they think everyone who does costumes does it in a couple weeks.

I've actually had friends ask me about this very thing, as well as some of the other BS stuff that is portrayed in the show. It usually results in an hour-long discussion correcting all their misconceptions about the communities, both costuming as well as cosplay and propmaking.

My biggest problem with this season besides what was already mentioned is how they made Chloe the main focus. I have nothing against her personally, but imo she is really over hamming it. It's almost as if she is trying way to hard at everything. I'm not sure if its because Chris Hardwick is her boyfriend and maybe he had some pull or what but way to over dramatic.

On a positive note, Jesse was awesome as the mandarin.

Jesse is just plain awesome period. I dunno why but I really enjoy watching him, be it the earnest 'omg I am going to learn to do something NEW AND EXCITING!' or him flipping out and losing it when he thinks he's in over his head, or him being humbleproud when it turns out good. I just enjoy watching him.

While watching the show I was thinking that every time I go to Comic Con there are these people hold up in their hotel rooms working on their costumes at the last minute, not having a chance to enjoy the rest of the convention.
Good point. How common IS it for folks like this to show up with their stuff half way done and spending every minute right before judging time up in the room still working on it? I wouldn't go to a con unless I could pack the complete getup in a suitcase or box and just put it on when I'm ready at the event...

My biggest problem with this season besides what was already mentioned is how they made Chloe the main focus. I have nothing against her personally, but imo she is really over hamming it. It's almost as if she is trying way to hard at everything. I'm not sure if its because Chris Hardwick is her boyfriend and maybe he had some pull or what but way to over dramatic.

I think even Chris Hardwick would stop you there. I doubt he has much clout at all. :lol

They need a Noobs of Cosplay which can follow me around getting frustrated at my foam pep files being to big then to small then just right and they can edit it all together so I come across as an awesome costume fabricator and be popular on the internets...all jokes aside tho that show hurts my head I have only watched a few Episodes and can't seem to enjoy it but my missus who dosen't cosplay seems to love it...I Love everyone on The RPF your all so nice haha even with my ****ty Red Hood Build everyone was nice our community here is amazing :)

Jesse is just plain awesome period. I dunno why but I really enjoy watching him, be it the earnest 'omg I am going to learn to do something NEW AND EXCITING!' or him flipping out and losing it when he thinks he's in over his head, or him being humbleproud when it turns out good. I just enjoy watching him.

I thought the Oakenshield was his best.

Ya I would be completely fine if the show was just Jesse. He doesn't complain, bring drama, talk behind peoples backs, doesn't has an annoying voice, doesn't pick the lamest costumes, etc...

Note to producers: viewers really don't need to see the contestants checking into their hotels every week, and please coach the on-camera talent to be more descriptive than classifying everything as "awesome."

The concept of this show is good, but the execution is bad. It's needs to be more like Mythbusters where the stars show you what they're doing and how they're doing it. I think it would be far more interesting to show these talented people creating their costumes from concept through finished piece like an accelerated tutorial that others could follow instead of highlighting Yaya stuffing her goodies into another incredibly elaborate outfit that seems to have taken her no longer than 15 minutes to make. Each episode of this show seems identical to the one before it, there's no variety in approach and that gets old very fast.

The cast all seems to be very talented people who could provide real knowledge and insight that would both be interesting and helpful to viewers who already cosplay or want to start, but they're presented as yahoos who only care about winning the contests. This thing needs a reboot.

Yeah. I think the contest part is what they were banking on to be the real selling point, like it's a goal to cap each show, but it's almost ridiculous in that almost NONE of the cosplayers I know actually compete in any contests. Or if they really want to show that aspect, pick one or two people for an episode, follow them through their entire build process and end with them competing.

Yes, it'd be an expensive production to have a camera crew with them the entire time, so instead pick people who have some sort of videography experience who can do some documentation on their own and submit it to be edited together by the real crew. There are a LOT of cosplayers who do fabrication and sewing and all around costuming/props who also have experience in filmmaking. Or at least around here there are a lot. Maybe it's just the crowds I run with, but I can offhand submit at least three people who could easily do professional level footage.

I think we are all forgetting what channel this show is on. It's SyFy. It's a "reality" show. It's all about the drama. Actual build documentation is beyond secondary to them, it is practically non-existent. If this was on Discovery or The Science channel then we (might) actually get some good documentation of a build. This show is never going to be Mythbuster-esque in scientific expainations of builds. It's just not going to happen.

That being said, I have decided that from now on, when I watch this show, I am just going to let myself be completely and totally swept away in the psuedo-drama.
--"My box didn't arrive!" OH NO, WHATEVER WILL SHE DO?!!:confused
--"My batteries died!" OH MY GOD!! HOW WILL HE COMPETE?!:eek
--"If only I had more time!" DEAR LORD, I SIMPLY CANNOT WAIT FOR THE COMMERCIAL TO BE OVER TO FIND OUT HOW THIS PLAYS OUT!! PLEASE HURRY!!!:popcorn
--"I really need a win!" OH YES YOU DO SWEETIE, (sniff) YOU HAVE STRUGGLED SO!! YOUR TRIALS ARE EPIC!!:cry

IT"S A MADHOUSE I TELL YOU-- A MADHOUSE!!!!!!:lol

I'm afraid if I tell you that I just busted out laughing while reading YOUR TRIALS ARE EPIC!! that it will encourage you-- wait, I want to encourage you. #FirstWorldProblems #CosplayProblems #WTFSyFyRealityIsntReal

Ya I would be completely fine if the show was just Jesse. He doesn't complain, bring drama, talk behind peoples backs, doesn't has an annoying voice, doesn't pick the lamest costumes, etc...
That is half the reason they do not show him as much as the others.

Good point. How common IS it for folks like this to show up with their stuff half way done and spending every minute right before judging time up in the room still working on it? I wouldn't go to a con unless I could pack the complete getup in a suitcase or box and just put it on when I'm ready at the event...

It is VERY VERY common.

That being said, I have decided that from now on, when I watch this show, I am just going to let myself be completely and totally swept away in the psuedo-drama.
--"My box didn't arrive!" OH NO, WHATEVER WILL SHE DO?!!:confused
--"My batteries died!" OH MY GOD!! HOW WILL HE COMPETE?!:eek
--"If only I had more time!" DEAR LORD, I SIMPLY CANNOT WAIT FOR THE COMMERCIAL TO BE OVER TO FIND OUT HOW THIS PLAYS OUT!! PLEASE HURRY!!!:popcorn
--"I really need a win!" OH YES YOU DO SWEETIE, (sniff) YOU HAVE STRUGGLED SO!! YOUR TRIALS ARE EPIC!!:cry

IT"S A MADHOUSE I TELL YOU-- A MADHOUSE!!!!!!:lol

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

The batteries thing... just kill me!

Although it does happen I'm sure, and it seems you know first hand Art but that is horrible time management.

Welcome to life!

Seriously, there are even some memes about this floating around. We know when the cons roll around EVERY SINGLE YEAR, but what happens? You wait until 2 weeks before and then it is a frantic rush...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back