Reznor9's Gotham Knight Grapple Gun [FINISHED]

Reznor9

Sr Member
I thought some of you might appreciate my latest project. It's a bit of a retro style grapple gun. I saw an image of this sideshow 1:6 scale figure holding this grapple gun and thought it would make an awesome life size prop. Made approximate measurements and was 3D modeled in solidworks

After showing this to a friend that he explained to me why he liked it so much... He said he didn't like that all of the movies as of late were portraying the grapple gun in the shape and form of a handgun. He strongly felt that since batman hates guns, his gear should not resemble or embody a gun like shape. And for that reason he loved this design as it was a throwback to the comics and Tim Burtons batman. Ive never thought of it that way but it brings new perspective to this piece. The model is done and ready to print. I'll be printing this up as soon as my current 60 hour print completes. In the meantime I'll leave you with this pic and hope you like it.

Last edited:
Re: Reznor9's Gotham Knight Grapple Gun

Very nice. If you were so inclined, a metal cylinder used to connect the two main parts would be a nice touch.

Very nice. If you were so inclined, a metal cylinder used to connect the two main parts would be a nice touch.
Yes sir, I agree. I already have the model setup for exactly that. After I print the pain parts I'll head over to Home Depot or Lowes and see if I can find a metal cylinder for that.
Also have two different types of grapple darts rendered for me. I'm thinking of making them attach via small magnets. Will be fun once I get it all printed.

I really like this. I love the comic style.

Im a fan of the comic style as well. Im excited to see this in printed out. 5 hours down, 34 to go... ugh. The half inch of all the parts that has printed so far is teasing me! ^^

After 40+ hours of printing it's good to see this thing on its entirety. Still needs quite a bit of sanding before it's ready but doesn't look too shabby right off the print bed. I just need to print the darts next. :D

Will this eventually be in your shop? I had a thought about all the cool new gadgets you're making, why not make special belt holder for each of them aswell so you have something you know will keep it secure to the belt and you can ensure it looks batmanesque. Just a thought. Love this it's so steampunk and classic bats

Sent From The Batcave

That is an amazing build! What kind of printer are you using?

Will this eventually be in your shop? I had a thought about all the cool new gadgets you're making, why not make special belt holder for each of them aswell so you have something you know will keep it secure to the belt and you can ensure it looks batmanesque. Just a thought. Love this it's so steampunk and classic bats

Sent From The Batcave

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see this till today. Yes this item will eventually be in my shop. As far as a belt holder it's a cool idea but I would need to brainstorm something that can be universal to multiple belts or clip into pants. At the moment however I don't have a plan for that.

That is an amazing build! What kind of printer are you using?

thanks! I'm using an XYZ Da Vinci Pro 1.0. It's not a top tier printer but it's okay for the price and if you get your settings right you can produce some decent prints. My main gripe with it right now is that it's not compatible yet with Simplify3D. If I could get that to work my print quality should increase quite a bit.

could you hold it in your hands to get a sense of scale?

Its still not assembled so thats why Im holding it like that. But its a fairly large item. I finally printed up some darts which Ill show later tonight maybe in a short youtube video, but they look really cool.. makes me wish it would really shoot them out. lol

Right now Im breainstorming the best way to mold this... Im thinking three different 1 part molds as opposed to using two part molds.
Reason being is that if I can one part mold the large cylinder, I can at least stop a 3rd of the way through and fill the middle with some foam or something so that it uses less resin and saves on weight. Otherwise as a 2 part mold its going to be a solid piece of resin and as you would expect will be a bit on the heavy side.

If you mold it vertically, you can maybe still make a two part mold, I'd say about 90/10 for the ratio instead of 50/50, roto cast resin in the whole thing except the top of the mold, pour your foam in the shell you just made and make sure it fills up to just short of your resin shell, then finish by pouring resin through a hole in the top of the mold to completely encase the foam. That would be one way or doing it. Or a two part mold, a roto cast of the piece and you just drill a hole somewhere not visible, like where the handle connects, and you pour your foam through it. Or you can stop at the roto cast, if it's thick enough it should be strong enough while still saving a ton of resin !

with the size of the top part would a metal or woodden dowel maybe be a good idea to help it being so top heavy? looks great btw

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7626/26997001061_5202a9a993_c.jpg

Its still not assembled so thats why Im holding it like that. But its a fairly large item. I finally printed up some darts which Ill show later tonight maybe in a short youtube video, but they look really cool.. makes me wish it would really shoot them out. lol

27670169036_682daecfe5_c.jpg
Begun the processing and it's smoothing out well. Hopefully be mold ready by tomorrow or the next day.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back