[WIP] My Indiana Jones Story Grail Diary Deluxe Project

Pascal Kurosawa

Hi Folks,
some of you already know me from other forums. But now I want also to show you my progresses here at the RPF. Please be kind to me. :)

I know, the are a lot of Grail Diaries out there and many of them are really masterpices with features, which are hard to reach.

My target now is the creation of a "Story Diary" with most possible accurate replication of the original pages with most possible matching invented aditional pages.

This are my aimed "Special Features":
- woldwide first time using the original font as used in the original prop in a Story Diary
- woldwide first time observance of the official film novel
- woldwide first time observance of the official Action Game (observance of the Adventure Game is "standard")
- woldwide first time komplete revision of the text from Marc Kitter, 2003 (error corrections, removal of contradictories, optimization of the story line)

As far as I know, nobody has tryed this combination before.

So of cause it is a long time project. I have started in March 2011 and want to finish the project prior 2026.

Last edited:
I'd personally suggest refraining from use of the Marc Kitter and video game storylines and go for something completely original. Almost everyone who has made a story diary has incorporated those into their diaries; why not do something different?

Also note that the original diaries don't use an "original font" as the master spreads were all originally handwritten then photocopied.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
Good luck man. Will following this.
The story based one is the one who requires more work as a hero version.
I've done one for myself with the complete text of the book text of "quest for the eternal". You can also use it for filling yours.

Hi Serenity,
yes, the adventure game (not the action game so far) and the aditional text from Marc is the basis for all the story diaries up to now. But of cause this is not the only possibility to create a grail diary. Most famous are the "hero diaries", which are replicas form the actual movie props, which have no ongoing story and have repeated the pages much times to fill the complete book.

why not do something different?

This is a good possibility. And there are some guys out there (such as Andymac84) how have done this. And they have produced very interesting works. But for me the diary from the Adventure Game was allways a part of the "original" since I have played it the first time in the year 1991. I love this story of the game attachment and love to have the feeling to have a real handwritten journal of Henry Jones Senior in my hands, which is also looking exactly like this on the movie screenshots.

Also note that the original diaries don't use an "original font" as the master spreads were all originally handwritten then photocopied.

Yes, the prop maker (Keir Lusby) has done it this way. I'm not an english native speaker. But I thought, that the word "font" is meaning both: handwritten words and also machine written ones. And Keir was not only writing per hand: He was using different kinds of pen nibs. One of my targets is, that you can not see any difference in the writing between the original prop and my replicas of this original pages - not in the alignment and not in the thickness of the strokes. This are big words from me, I know. But this is my target and I hope, I will reach it. I will show you in the next years pictures of my attemps and I hope to get some suggestions from you.

"quest for the eternal". You can also use it for filling yours.

Hi Andymac84,
good to see you here at the RPF, too. As you allready know, I'm using the original source books since years meanwhile. ;)

Last edited:
OK, now it's time for some first pictures...

This are the books, I have bought for this project over the last years. This are the same, the original prop maker has used - but not necessarily in the same edition.

"Palimpsets - Backs of Monumental Brasses"
9377450532_8421be39f6_c.jpg

"The Flowering of the Middle Ages":
7385009696_94fce04032_c.jpg

"Books of Hours" & "A History Of Architecture"
11907101744_6f18cb499c_c.jpg

"the grail - Quest for the eternal"
14418093652_4c53ccb0b9_c.jpg

"Picturesque Palestine, Sinai and Egypt"
14232081209_266a869647_c.jpg

Update (16.03.2015): and here another book in my shelf...
"The Reliquary & Illustrated Archaeologist Vol. 5 "
16832351871_7efe16005c_c.jpg

Last edited:
But for me the diary from the Adventure Game was allways a part of the "original" since I have played it the first time in the year 1991. I love this story of the game attachment and love to have the feeling to have a real handwritten journal of Henry Jones Senior in my hands, which is also looking exactly like this on the movie screenshots.

That's completely understandable! As long as it feels personal to you, that's what matters.

Best of luck with everything and have fun with it. As someone who has also made a diary, if you ever need any help or advice, feel free to ask...

if you ever need any help or advice, feel free to ask...

Thank you very much. :) Sooner or later I will have questions for sure.

Never heard of those
smile.png

OK... here you are....

The original book of the crucification picture "Libro de Horas de Yolanda de Lalaing" (1450-1460) is now in the Bodleian Library in England.
But the "books of hours" is a publication from the year 1977 and COULD be the source for the original film props.

"A History of Architecture on the Comparative Method" (1961) is the source for most of the architectual drawings in the diary.

11906923353_683aa8905f_c.jpg

11907749506_f9dcae8cf1_c.jpg

Source: photo from film, not from my work!

11907841456_572eb6a0c2_c.jpg

Source: photo from original prop, not from my work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
here you see what I'm meaning with "original font". I hope you like it:

on the left side you see a photo from an original screen used prop. On the right side of the first picture you see my (old) first sketch.

Oh, the pictures of my own writings are no photographs, but digital ones, taken from my computer screen. So please don't pay attention to colors, deformation, sharpness and contrast. :D

first sketch:
8201529106_bbd492db19_c.jpg

"serious"(new) effort::
8201532186_c3d9c13659_c.jpg

To see better some details, here a zoom, first the original, second my own writing:
8553212016_eb966a53e5_z.jpg

Thank you for constructive criticism (Holt from the forum COW), I had in a last step (for now) optimised the line width here and there:
8664946273_8c3c2b85fb_b.jpg

Last edited:
Here you see the methode, how I'm drawing the text and most of the pictures...

First I have to scan photos of the original props.
Now I'm painting (pixel per pixel) the light parts in white and the dark ones in black.
6807590008_67f4f0252e_z.jpg

All steps together...
6953702151_904e3c5117_z.jpg

I am composing with this words the new text for the invented new "story pages" .

This here was my first try:

6807590302_90b573a2a7_z.jpg

Here you see my current version of this page: Do you like it?
16680213952_5a67d6fc81_z.jpg

Last edited:
It all looks awesome and I will be following this thread. Very excited to see your progress.

I have been wanting to pick up copies of the Grail Diary sources for some time.

Could you tell me what's in "Palimpsets - Backs of Monumental Brasses" in regard to the grail?? The rest are not bad price wise but this one is over $90

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,
this book is used for the page "Tibetan skull", alias "Stoneface". :)

Yes, it is an old rare book which is not easy to find in these days for a good price.

9374796311_f33e17a7f6_o.jpg

Source: photo from original prop, not from my work!

9374796147_8a845daf53_c.jpg

9374796805_e70f890703_c.jpg

Thank you very much, guys (Kram, Indy, Lordu & all tthe nice guys who pushed the like-button). Your encouragement means a lot to me. :)

Last edited:
Got another source book delivered today (see update in my old posting).

...and here some small details of my version of the page “Columns and floorplan”
8294529968_61b23db3c4_c.jpg

8297766377_244dca2eda_z.jpg

for comparsion here once more the original prop: Do you find my details on the left page?
Takt-i-TaqdisSainteChapelle.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back