Star Wars Bowcaster. NEED HELP

domo403311

So im new here on the forums and after finishing my DL-44 ive decided that I would like to tackle building a Bowcaster except I cannot find any crossbows that fit the base for the Prop. I have come across the Crosman Jr crossbow (see picture) but I dont know if these are large enough to suit as a base for the bowcaster. I have also found some crossbows that seem to have the right shape but have solid stocks Does anyone know where I can find a crossbow or maybe even a resin cast stock? Or should I attempt to scratch build one

crossbow.jpg

Search for the Horton Safari, the closest you can find to the original X-Bow.

Requires a LOT of TLC to make it work, but you can get pretty good results.
Do a search for bowcaster, by using the RPF´s search function ;) ...

Markus

Beat me to it! ;)

Search for the Horton Safari, the closest you can find to the original X-Bow.

Requires a LOT of TLC to make it work, but you can get pretty good results.
Do a search for bowcaster, by using the RPF´s search function ;) ...

Markus

Don't let these guys give you a hard time. :thumbsup :thumbsup :) :)

There is a lot here on the Bowcaster but a lot of it is wrong or more accurately out of date.

What you need to do is search and research like crazy and then ask specific questions. There is a lot we can help you with once you get the basics down.

The Bowcaster is a nightmare because there are only a few bad pics of it. There was only one prop used, slightly changed for each film, and then it disappeared. Rumor is it's in a private collection but it's never been seen or photographed. There is a bad one in one of the Planet Hollywoods that is way wrong.

You need one of these Horton Safaris first:

images5.jpg

The real one was not modified but came as it looks as far as the stock goes I believe. I think maybe the end was modified. The actual crossbow is super rare so much so that only one soul I know has one. All others are modified from the above. Older ones were made out of various bows before the more accurate one above started being used but based on the mods made to it ( like mine that was modded by Kurtyboy) I hear it's a real tough job to do it.

I will be happy to help as will others, jut go through some old threads first..

- - - Updated - - -

Also it may sound strange but sometimes I can find stuff quicker on RPF by using a Google search, hit images, and many times you can find what you need there. Even though it brings you back here it's often quicker than searching here.

"There is another..."

Odiwan72!

Don't let these guys give you a hard time. :thumbsup :thumbsup :) :)

There is a lot here on the Bowcaster but a lot of it is wrong or more accurately out of date.

What you need to do is search and research like crazy and then ask specific questions. There is a lot we can help you with once you get the basics down.

The Bowcaster is a nightmare because there are only a few bad pics of it. There was only one prop used, slightly changed for each film, and then it disappeared. Rumor is it's in a private collection but it's never been seen or photographed. There is a bad one in one of the Planet Hollywoods that is way wrong.

You need one of these Horton Safaris first:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h136/jameth1971/jameth1971008/images5.jpg

The real one was not modified but came as it looks as far as the stock goes I believe. I think maybe the end was modified. The actual crossbow is super rare so much so that only one soul I know has one. All others are modified from the above. Older ones were made out of various bows before the more accurate one above started being used but based on the mods made to it ( like mine that was modded by Kurtyboy) I hear it's a real tough job to do it.

I will be happy to help as will others, jut go through some old threads first..

- - - Updated - - -

Also it may sound strange but sometimes I can find stuff quicker on RPF by using a Google search, hit images, and many times you can find what you need there. Even though it brings you back here it's often quicker than searching here.

Always two there are, one master...one apprentice ;)
Thanks to Marcus I am also the proud owner of a real vintage Horton!

Tom: You´re too kind :) I was planning to write a more extensive reply, but was too lazy :lol

Markus

Always two there are, one master...one apprentice ;)
Thanks to Marcus I am also the proud owner of a real vintage Horton!

Tom: You´re too kind :) I was planning to write a more extensive reply, but was too lazy :lol

Markus

Well ain't that just special.:( :cry :angry :angry :angry :angry :cry :(

Here I thought I had the second most accurate Bowcaster replica ever made. Now I'm #3.

I feel like David Letterman.

Seriously congrats. That is super cool. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :cheers :cheers :cheers

Actually I tried to build a kind of set reference thread at COW so someone could go to a specific thread and everything would be there. Rather than go through hours and hours of reading many threads that are out of date with wrong info, send hundreds of PMs to the members that were willing to help, etc.

I asked around and know one had a problem with it (except a few who really like to keep info to themselves which kind of defeats the purpose of a discussion board) but know one seemed interested either.

I posted everything I had on the Grail Diary and some others contributed but it never caught on.

Tried it here with National Treasure as well and same result.

I think I will start a new member etiquette thread. Learning the ins and outs so you get along, fit in, don't tick people off would help a lot of new people.

Here is a sample:

Never start off with, "I am interested in building a whatever. Tell me everything about it." It's one of those things that seems logical and harmless to ask if your new, but once you have been here for a while you realize is bad.

Always start a request off with "I have searched and searched but can't find......" Make sure you have though. Members will know if you are not taking the time to search and stop helping ASAP. As long as members know you really need the help there will be an abundance of help.

Don't worry our new friend. You will get lot's of help.

Back to the Bowcaster.

One of the cool things you will need is a Singlepoint scope.

This will all make sense once you look at these scopes.

They are early red dot scopes that actually work very well and require no batteries. Just light.

Here is the deal. Save you some time.

The only difference is the clear front part

Chewie's is a cone tipped clear version. They are ubber expensive.

Cone tipped frosted versions are also expensive and not accurate anyway. Wait, his might be frosted. I went with clear because I liked how it looked but now I can't remember. I think his is clear.

If cost is an issue as it is for most the round tip is much more reasonable and easy to modify.

You will need the clear cap off a Whiteboard cleaner bottle. Look before you buy. Some don't have it. Other spray bottle stuff will have something similar but the Whiteboard cleaner cap has no writing.

You can leave the inner end on the round nose that kind of looks like the end of a highlighter pen or get the modified piece from one of our members that replaces it. Then bam, you have the exact scope and did not drop a small fortune. It still works with the mods as well.

Or you can get a nice resin cast of one. Add a glass lens to the eyepiece and modify the end as you see fit.

If your wondering the Master Replicas Rebel Blaster has a nice one to get an idea.

More later.

Wait a tic, if I was the apprentice to Marcus, and now Markus is the apprentice to Marcus, then I am the rejected Sith apprentice wannabe who ends up on some trash planet with stupid spider legs.

This sucks.

Wait a tic, if I was the apprentice to Marcus, and now Markus is the apprentice to Marcus, then I am the rejected Sith apprentice wannabe who ends up on some trash planet with stupid spider legs.

This sucks.

:lol:lol:lol

did you keep you BC or did you have to sell it as well?

Markus

:lol:lol:lol

did you keep you BC or did you have to sell it as well?

Markus

I do still have it thanks to the generosity of one of our members. It was sold and all payed for. I was finishing up the last few details and I just could not do it so I asked if it would be alright if I refunded his money. I told him I will still sell it to him but if I could keep it that would be great. He graciously agreed and was totally cool about it. I thanked him by giving him a very good deal on a finished helmet that I am still trying to get done for him.. Two more times it looked like I was going to have to let it go but so far I have been able to hold onto it.

If I get this job I will keep it for sure and start re-building and if not and I have to sell the rest it will be the last, or one of the last to go.

Man this economy sucks.

Whoah. Thank you guys for all of the information and tips. That sounds like a super easy single point scope idea and I will probably use that! I plan on building a lot of blasters and I put this one back behind the others due to the rarity of the parts :). I just so happened to find a resin sterling machine gun :) so my next project is an e-11 :)

Hi can anyone help me get a Horton Safari crossbow, been trying to restart a bowcaster for an age. Kutrtyboy has been a star highlighting eBay sales but no one has been willing to ship to the Uk even though it is legal any ideas as this is the place ! Thanks Jason

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back