Pee Wee's Playhouse Scooter and Helmet

Actually looking at it and the original again this morning.. Its nothing like it. Back to the drawing board I guess! Though I did start gluing the pieces onto the helmet. Just need to sculpt the pig and the ducks.

Upon further inspection, I think the Indian might be the kind that sits on top of a horse. The way the legs bow out, but it could be the particular angle of the pictures we have of the Indian.

Much in the way that the cowboy's rope (and possibly the angle of his hat) was altered, it's possible that our mystery indian may have been altered slightly.
Perhaps the bow in his hand used to be something else, like this:
Picture_elastolin107.JPG

I was looking something up and came across these type in "300 Toy Indian Lot" and "3 Matching Indians, Two Blue MPC Indians - 5 Indian Toy Solider Lot" on ebay.

I've got some new info.
It's nothing too exciting. I'm not even sure if this will help. I was just watching Pee Wee's Playhouse and on top of the sphinx during the intro, is what appears to be one of the rings from the front of Pee Wee's Scooter. I haven't done my own hi res screen capture yet, but you can see it in the image below. Just click to enlarge, of course. :)
playhouse.jpg

Yes, the gyroscope looking thing. In fact, I think I've determined that the rings are NOT part of the original gyroscope part since it seems that one of the big rings was also used on the head of the sphynx. See the following image for details:

The Tedco Gyroscope can be purchased here:
http://www.hickorees.com/brand/tedco-toys/product/gyroscope-1950s-retro-packaging

I had this gyroscope as a child, but it was in a clear, hard plastic box (not the box pictured above).
I'm not sure if it came in the clear plastic box or not, because it originally belonged to my step dad.
My point is, it may or may not have always been sold in the same packaging as that which is shown above.

Attachments

• rings_zps5b90725f.jpg
    rings_zps5b90725f.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Hey KILLER: The Playhouse exterior was constructed around two functioning lava lights. That could help you determine the scale of that ring. I have a feeling both rings (on the Playhouse and Scooter) are larger than than the actual gyroscope toy. I have the Pee-wee Child-sized scooter and the rings on it are about 5" so I'm thinking the full size scooter rings would be at least twice that. -- BB

BestBike, I think you've misunderstood what I was saying. I meant that the large rings are separate from the gyroscope toy. The gyroscope is sitting in the middle of the rings if you look closely, but I don't know how they've mounted it. So basically, there are two large rings (one vertical and one horizontal) and the gyroscope is in the middle of those rings. I've circled the gyroscope in one of the pics above. And yeah, the rings are a lot bigger than the gyroscope. 3 or 4 times bigger. But I'm 99% sure that the object in the middle of those large rings is a gyroscope. The same gyroscope I owned as a child.

Thanks, Killer. I see what you're saying and that makes sense. The gyroscope inside the hoops on the scooter does look like the toy and the scale on that seems about right. Found this older version of the gyro toy online. It has a red center piece that looks similar to the one in the photo from Muppet Magazine.

Using the measurement from a lava lamp though, I think the ring around the sign on the Playhouse exterior is bigger than the rings on the scooter around the gyroscope. I contemplated building the Playhouse exterior at one time ... but when I started applying math to it and realized how huge it would be, I realized I had no place to put it.

Keep it up. I enjoy checking in on this thread from time to time and seeing what progress you all are making. -- BB

Attachments

• il_570xN.283250937.jpg
    il_570xN.283250937.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 189
  • il_570xN.283250997.jpg
    il_570xN.283250997.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 152
  • il_570xN.283251039.jpg
    il_570xN.283251039.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 161
Bestbike, I think you're right about the ring around the sign on the playhouse exterior being bigger than the one on the scooter. But the balls on it look to be the same as that which was used on the scooter hoop. So I think it's a good clue that these hoops may have been customized with the balls. Or all of the hoops were taken from the same object or the same objects of varying size.

As for the older version of the gyroscope, excellent find!!!
I'll bet that's it. Now we just need to double check against a full size image and see if we can confirm which version of the gyroscope was used.
But yeah, I don't thing it's coincidence that the gyroscope they used is the same color scheme as the one you've found. Good work!

We're getting closer, slowly but surely. The search is 75% of the fun, so i don't mind if it takes a while. We'll get there. :)

And of all things, that early gyro was on sale on Etsy for $6 -- but sadly it had already sold. I agree on the search being most of the fun. I'm not even trying to build a scooter or helmet and I still love this thread. (I'm working on the bike from Big Adventure.)

As for the older version of the gyroscope, excellent find!!! The search is 75% of the fun, so i don't mind if it takes a while. We'll get there. :)

(I'm working on the bike from Big Adventure.)

Remember the first time I saw your bike? You were riding past my house, and I came running out to tell you how much I liked it even way back then?

I've always wanted to make the bike too. Maybe one of these days.

Now I'm really trying to figure out what those hoops are from and if the balls are part of the original piece or if they were added somehow. I suppose they would be pretty simple to make from scratch if necessary.

Last edited:
"I love that story." Ha!

The bike is a much easier project to tackle cause there's better documentation on exactly what it looks like. Then again, the opposite is true of this thread. I love to keep track of your search and discovery of all the parts and pieces.

Agree. Those hoops would be easy enough to make ... but I'll bet they are from a found object as well.

Remember the first time I saw your bike? You were riding past my house, and I came running out to tell you how much I liked it even way back then?

I've always wanted to make the bike too. Maybe one of these days.

Now I'm really trying to figure out what those hoops are from and if the balls are part of the original piece or if they were added somehow. I suppose they would be pretty simple to make from scratch if necessary.

Amen, Nick. I know they had a set photographer in both NY and LA so there has to be great images somewhere that haven't surfaced yet. It was John Duke Kisch for season one and Ken Sax for the rest of the seasons. And still, you basically just see the same images over and over again. Keep hoping I'll run across a new great scooter image to add to the collection that will help this group out. -- BB

It's hard to believe that a show that was in production for 5 seasons that so few photos exist!

ADDED: This photo is available on eBay - 400508993889 . I'd pick it up and post a HR version but it's 28.88 + 3.00 postage and it's not in very good shape. Image is from season one. LR image downloads attached.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic, BestBike!!! You know, looking at this picture alone, I'm starting to think that the "bike radio" we've been looking for isn't a bike radio at all. Is it just me, or does it look like an RC Car Transmitter (the controller to a remote controlled toy car)? This could explain the toggle switch looking thingies that are sticking out on top of it. You know, like an early 1980s version of something like this:

839 Mini RC Wireless Radio Controlled 3C Transmitter Helicopter-4-500x500.jpg

View attachment 217729

View attachment 217730

Ether that or it might be some sort of switch board with two toggle switches on it, similar to these:

MITS_Altair8800a_toggle-switch-nuts.jpg

mH9YaW63GKTe9w_evf0cVvA.jpg

Toggle switches also come in black:
sealed-3-way-black-box-toggle-switch-cream.jpg
Anyhow, I haven't checked this against any other pics yet, but these are other theories we can look into.

I'm leaning heavily toward RC CAR TRANSMITTER.

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure the switch panels are aftermarket toggle switches with metal panels. they would have a 90-degree bend at the top with 2 small holes to mount it under the dash. they were pretty common for fog lights or other accessory power. i have one around here somewhere, here's a pic from a current ebay auction.

*this one has a light, the original ones might be just the black switch, or a translucent switch that would light up in the 'on' position.

Attachments

• switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 169

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back