New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I started thinking about when the Doctor starts telling people to shut up when no one is talking. Maybe he is telling a part on himself to shut up. A part of him that is opposed to him figuring out whatever it is he's trying to figure out. Maybe it has something to do with the Valeyard. or maybe I'm thinking to much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched Time Heist. I don't think it was a bad episode. I was really hoping the Doctor would touch the shape shifter. I liked the setup with the phone number (we'll just ignore the paradox).

I was really hoping the Doctor would touch the shape shifter.

There was a line at the end when they were saying goodbye that gave the impression that he had. I don't recall the exact line but he said something about how he would miss not looking at himself. At first I thought it was just a throw away line, but perhaps it relates to a deleted scene?

The last two episodes were okay. Time Heist was pretty fun and had some great lines, The Caretaker felt like a throwaway episode really, but it wasn't bad. It was certainly a "budget" episode for them. I like Pink, but they really need to get past this focus on Clara's love life and move on to some real stories.

I kinda felt cheated after the start of The Caretaker. We got a montage of Doc&Clara on lots of off-world adventures, most of which sounded more interesting than the one we got to see. Plus, why did the Doctor think it was a good idea to show the gobby-little-brat-kid the Tardis?
Also... Mr Pink saves the day with a (very) convenient invisibility watch (the Doc conveniently let him hold on to when ordering him out of the Tardis) and unrealistic gymnastic skills? Sorry, but the parallels of Grumpy-Doc and two Coal Hill teachers is making me want to go and watch some Hartnel adventures.Although maybe that will just remind me how many old ideas Moffat and his writers are re-using.

Spot on with that. Worst episode of the series I thought. The Doctors character keeps getting better, but the rest!!!!! My only hope is that Clara + Pink = leaving the series soon. And the Doctor should have mind wiped that kid the moment she showed up. Disruptive influence and threw up in the Tardis. One robot can destroy a world??? So why is it hiding in a derelict house? Why drag it to A SCHOOL!!!! Why bother with the episode at all. Just a useless bit of filler trying to introduce Mr Pink and other to the Doctor by the most tediously poor bit of writing I've seen in ages. I guess they were going for light hearted but instead it all came across as a bit of a space dud (or should that be Dad). One giant leap backwards for Timelord kind. Or is that next weeks promised episode. But at least it looks like they've spent some of the budget on that.

I actually liked it. The monster wasn't really the focus of this episode. It was more the characters' relationships with each other, and I appreciated that.

Clara also seems less and less like a plot device, and more and more like a real person. And what I especially appreciated with this latest episode was how Danny is kind of integrating into her life and she's having to face conflicts between continuing to have grand adventures with her Space-Dad-who-used-to-be-her-Space-Boyfriend and actually having a real life with Danny. I also like that Danny's starting to assert himself more, rather than just being an awkward goof with a secret past.

See, here's the thing. I think what we're seeing is the beginning of the end for Clara as a companion. I think she's going to actually CHOOSE to walk away from the TARDIS, in a way that, say, Amy and Rory didn't. With them, it was almost like the Doctor sort of chose for them. In this case, though, I think Clara will ultimately find the conflict between Danny and the Doctor to be irreconcilable, and she'll have to make a decision: stay with the Doctor, or build a life with Danny. And ultimately, she'll choose Danny. What we saw in this episode is some of the foundation for why she'll choose Danny, ultimately. First, he's demonstrated that he's a man of action who will put Clara first...which sounds familiar... Second, he's demonstrated that he's not a pushover with respect to the Doctor or her, unlike, say, Mickey and Rory.

Sidebar: one of my big complaints about the male companions in recent years has been that they're basically all buffoons who once in a while get moments of actually showing why these dynamic women might choose to be with them, but then go right back to being a doofus. With Danny, I think we're (hopefully) seeing a character who while certainly not on the level of a Time Lord, is capable of holding his own and giving as good as he gets (at least in terms of attitude).

Anyway, so, we've already seen that the Doctor and Danny don't agree, and each has preconceived notions of the other, based on past experiences. The Doctor doesn't like soldiers, finding them to be more likely to blow something up than to solve the problem. This is generally accurate with his backstory on the show, by the way, since there have been very few soldiers with whom he's gotten along (mostly The Brig, and a couple of his subordinates). Other soldiers always cock it up or are completely outclassed and shoot when they should've run. With Danny, though, he's seen the Doctor's type before -- a man used to being in command, who can drive soldiers to do incredible things, but often at the cost of their lives or at least their psyches.

My guess is that Clara and the Doctor may go on one too many harrowing adventures, or her travels will begin to take a toll on her in a way that Danny -- PTSD sufferer -- will recognize, and she'll make the choice to leave and build a healthy, happy, CALM life with him, rather than jaunt about with the Doctor.

And what'll be even more interesting about that is how the Doctor will respond afterwards. I look forward to seeing it all.

I really like Capaldi's characterization,,. much more adult yet playful, subtle and layered. Nice to see the sonic returned to a device, not a magic wand.

However, I do feel we have not had a really well-written, fully plotted episode for him so far. Every nuwho season usually has (at least) one episode that really works well -- I just don't feel we've had it so far.

In previous seasons, they were able to get some great character development WITHIN an adventure. But this season they've turned the adventures into remedial background stories so they can concentrate on character

Am I crazy for wondering what Capaldi could be like if RTD came back?

To be fair, RTD had his own weaknesses, they were just different and differently annoying from Moffat's. And a lot of that also, I think, depends on the actor playing the Doctor. With Nine, it seems like the show was more...hmm...contained? But with the Tenth Doctor, you started seeing a number of the excesses that still plague the series. Let's not forget that it was during the RTD era that River Song was introduced.

I will say that I think RTD's season-long plot arcs played out better, mostly, but even he got a little "too big" at times, like with The Master, and the Tennant specials at the end.

In previous seasons, they were able to get some great character development WITHIN an adventure. But this season they've turned the adventures into remedial background stories so they can concentrate on character

I'm ok with a mix of adventure-mostly, character-mostly, and 50/50 in the episodes, myself. I don't think it's realistic to expect them to consistently maintain the exact same tone throughout. Even that'd get boring after a while. I think we're noticing the "adventure-mostly" vs "character-mostly" episodes because it's a new Doctor and we're still getting to know him. So an adventure episode (like Time Heist) seems like it's fun, but ultimately doesn't tell you much about the Doctor, whereas The Caretaker is like this massive revelation of character details for all the characters, but the monster seems kind of pointless. "Oh, you know. Some horrible cyber-beastie that can self destruct and blow up the whole planet. The usual."

To be fair, RTD had his own weaknesses, they were just different and differently annoying from Moffat's. And a lot of that also, I think, depends on the actor playing the Doctor. With Nine, it seems like the show was more...hmm...contained? But with the Tenth Doctor, you started seeing a number of the excesses that still plague the series. Let's not forget that it was during the RTD era that River Song was introduced.

I will say that I think RTD's season-long plot arcs played out better, mostly, but even he got a little "too big" at times, like with The Master, and the Tennant specials at the end.

I don't think Moffat is bad, but he needs someone to pull him back from time to time. Much like George Lucas needed a series of checks & balances. When an artist is free to basically do whatever the hell they want the work can often be too out there. Moffat is definitely a serious repeat offender of the "too big" crap though and his story arcs, if I'm being completely honest, are crap and over complicated.

I long for a simpler Doctor Who. Still holding out hope that it'll come.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back