Baker Roundel Project - CAD Help needed

karstva

Sr Member
Hey guys,

Welcome to my thread. I am currently in the planning stages of my roundel project. The ideal for me would be to get a master made of a roundel based on all the information/measurements gathered in the roundel thread over on the TARDIS Builders forum. I am thinking of getting one 3D printed, or CNC'd from MDF (both depending on cost) using that as a master and creating a mold to create fiberglass copies. If those options are too expensive I will build it out of modeling clay with a forming tool, and then cast that. I would prefer the first two methods as it will give me a permanent master that I could create future casts from when the mold reaches its end of life.

My question is this. Is there anyone here with CAD talents who might be able to work with me on creating the CAD file I need to either 3D print, or CNC the Initial roundel?

I think its time we have a good solid roundel build thread what do you think?

Yes I have seen Crispin's roundel's and while nice they lack allot of detail due to the vacforming which is why I want to go the fiberglass route, that and its what the originals were made from.

Will you be using the profile that Crispin used? I could knock that out in Sketchup in 20 minutes.

Indeed that is the one. The site is blocked for me at work. Does he have all the measurements listed? If not let me know I can get them from over on the TARDIS builders site. If you do I appreciate the help.

Karst

I based the roundel cross section on the graphic that Teletran posted over at the TARDIS builders site.

Then I traced the graphic using lines and arcs to get a solid cross section in Google Sketchup. Then I extruded the cross section into a circle, and here is the result.

roundel.jpg

Well, it's a start anyway. I'm pretty proud of myself since I just started learning Google Sketchup tonight.

Here is a link to the sketchup file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9wuQYOPzaXceHFDM1FTMXhwdGc/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully there is a way to convert this to AutoCAD, etc. This doesn't solve the entire problem though, because for CNC machining you'd still have to define a tool path.

Well, they are very close to Purple's drawing but not 100% exact. Here are the measurements. I can tweak the drawing for you if you like. Just let me know what you want changed. I also hollowed out the thicker parts of the drawing to maybe reduce the cost of 3D-printing. I'll post the final sketchup file and STL file for 3D-printing once we finalize the dimensions, etc.

roundel_dimensions.jpg

I tweaked the drawing a bit to make it more accurate to Purple's measurements. The result is a slightly deeper roundel than previously posted.

Updated dimensional drawing:

roundel_dimensions2.jpg

Here is the finished product, as close I can get it to the known measurements.

roundel3D_printing2.jpg

Here is a link to the final Google Sketchup file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9wuQYOPzaXceEEwZHZNWWNyRHc/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a link to the final STL file for 3D printing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9wuQYOPzaXcWWUySmdya29IOHM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I think what you have is pretty damn close kev and I really appreciate the help. I'll take the sketch up file and see what its going to take to print it out for the master. I appreciate the help on pulling this together. I'll upload that file this week to a couple of the main 3d Printing companies and see what I get back for a quote.

Whooooaaaa nelly. at 1300 bucks I don't think 3D printing is going to be the way to go on this. At least initial indicators show this. I have not given up hope yet and am still looking. I am also going to check on the CNC option in MDF. Just an update for everyone. If Push comes to shove I guess I'll be doing some formers instead. We shall see
Karst

Update

I have two resources that I contacted yesterday, one of them responded and I got an extremely reasonable deal from a company in California on having the Roundel CNC'd. They can CNC it out of high density polyurethane tooling foam, its a week turn around. I think that is extremely reasonable considering its size. I also pinged my cousin who is a set designer and builder out in Hollywood, he may have some resources that I can tap as well. Regardless this means a nice seamless roundel for moulding and casting. I am pretty stoked.

Kevin, you can hold design work on the 1/4 and 1/2 roundel they are no longer needed. It seems though that we are still finalizing a few measurements, once we do the company out in CA said that along with the STL file they also need an STP or STEP file. I am assuming this is for the CNC machine to know where to start from. Kevin..or anyone..do you know how to generate that STP file?

Karst

Just an update for everyone. I have the updated version of the CAD file in hand, looks good so things are moving forward nicely. rendering looks really good, is it going to be 100% accurate..hellz no. Is it going to look the part..definitely. This is going to be as close as you can possibly get without actually owning a roundel from the BBC as these measurements are from a roundel from the BBC. Also with my new resources its not going to cost me anywhere near 1300, which is always nice.

Update, Things have been moving forward just behind the scenes. A friend of mine created a nice clean former out of brass and wood and created a georgeous roundel blank. He has been kind enough to give me a hand as well with my project and will be throwing one for me as well to work from. So that saves me money. Its still too cold here in VA to pour rubber or fiberglass but things are moving forward. Warmer weather is around the corner and that is when things will gear up in earnest. I'll see if I can get him to post pictures of the results.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back