Gene Wilder Willy Wonka Research Thread

The bow tie would actuly be easy to make! It looks like it is made out of tan silk. You might get good results using chiffon (think prom dress matrial).
I might have a tut on makeing bow ties some where...I'll check if you like.

According to the 2012 auction catalog, the tie was actually satin, although the exact color was not specified.

I thought I would interject that His vest is made from a metallic floral Brocade, when I did this costume a while back I used a tiny floral broadcloth that I pinstriped with metallic gold thread that achieved the look almost perfectly. As far as the Hat goes, I wouldn't go with a wool top hat personally, just because all the ones on the market are those obnoxious coachmen hats that haven't got the correct brim. I suggest e-mailing the proprieter at www.tophatlady.com, as she provided mine and it was screen accurate to a T.

Sorry if this got posted twice. I know it has been over 2 years now, but how exactly does one pinstripe with thread? I have googled pinstriping, and all that comes up are using paints or car detailing. Can you point me to a tutorial on using thread to pinstripe an existing fabric? Thanks!

I clicked that link of yours Chadrificus, and it came up with a website suggestion page, rather than an actual website.

As for the vest, I'm googling "metallic floral brocade" as I type this.

According to the 2012 auction catalog, the vest was a "purple and violet lamé with floral pattern" rather than a brocade. . An online store, Spoonflower, carries a printed Kona cotton similar to the vest but without the sparklies. Here is the link: Willy Wonka Vest - pseudolus - Spoonflower

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back