Worbla Paint?

Jetallston12

Im not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I was wondering if anyone knew the painting process when working with worbla. thank you! Thank you for all who respond!

I don't think she's a member here, but I follow a cosplayer on Facebook that uses that stuff constantly. Her name is Svetlana Quindt and goes by Kamui cosplay. She seems very eager to help people and the armor she makes is amazing.

I'm working on my first worbla build, and I've been following Kamui Cosplay/Svetlana's advice: Smoothing the surface with a few layers (4 - 5) of wood glue. According to reports, the wood glue takes fewer layers and offers similar results to gesso. I've been fairly happy with my results so far, though I have sanded a few places, where gravity has not been my friend. I should be applying the first layer of paint this week.

You *can* apply acrylics (or Krylon for plastics) directly to the worbla without smoothing (I did on my samples), but it really depends on what you want your finished result to look like.

I used this video as an example. They're smooth-coating kobracast, but the effect is similar:

Ge[Bastelt] - Wood Glue Finish

The actual work starts around the 5 minute mark. (Make sure you turn on captioning, where they have put the English subtitles!)

They also did a quick show of working with worbla, wherein they sanded it directly, then smoothed the "fuzz" (caused by the plastic) by reheating the piece slightly after sanding:

Ge[Bastelt] - Worbla's Finest Art

Kamui/Svetlana posted a comparison between gesso and wood glue back in June, which you can find here.

Hope this helps!

I don't think she's a member here, but I follow a cosplayer on Facebook that uses that stuff constantly. Her name is Svetlana Quindt and goes by Kamui cosplay. She seems very eager to help people and the armor she makes is amazing.

Thanks for the information! I'll check out her page!

- - - Updated - - -

..first layer(s): gesso or wood glue to make a smooth surface. after drying you can use acrylic paint.

I'm working on my first worbla build, and I've been following Kamui Cosplay/Svetlana's advice: Smoothing the surface with a few layers (4 - 5) of wood glue. According to reports, the wood glue takes fewer layers and offers similar results to gesso. I've been fairly happy with my results so far, though I have sanded a few places, where gravity has not been my friend. I should be applying the first layer of paint this week.

You *can* apply acrylics (or Krylon for plastics) directly to the worbla without smoothing (I did on my samples), but it really depends on what you want your finished result to look like.

I used this video as an example. They're smooth-coating kobracast, but the effect is similar:

Ge[Bastelt] - Wood Glue Finish

The actual work starts around the 5 minute mark. (Make sure you turn on captioning, where they have put the English subtitles!)

They also did a quick show of working with worbla, wherein they sanded it directly, then smoothed the "fuzz" (caused by the plastic) by reheating the piece slightly after sanding:

Ge[Bastelt] - Worbla's Finest Art

Kamui/Svetlana posted a comparison between gesso and wood glue back in June, which you can find here.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for all of the information guys! Hopefully all works out well!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back