TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

What I would LOVE to see would be a set of grips to the exact dimensions, curved bottom & with the cutouts. A guy can dream, right? :lol

I have to agree! It indeed seems to be completely curved on the bottom. A logical shape of course.

So I was right after all. :D

Ohhhhhhhh I guess all of us are on the same boat. I dod not know what you were talking about, Foe Hammer.

- - - Updated - - -

What I would LOVE to see would be a set of grips to the exact dimensions, curved bottom & with the cutouts. A guy can dream, right? :lol

Parks ESB grips with rivets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Marv/ssunky stuff. Fins are too high, base is too thin.

20160817_175148.jpg

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. :)

Too me, they actually look shorter and a little wider, but the thickness on the base, after the curvature is about equal to Roy's, which is about 2 mm. I know there's a debate for channeled or not, and these are most likely inaccurate. But, for those who want that curvature, this file is not that off, i think. I did, however widened it a little if I remember correctly to 13.5 mm. I don't remember if I messed around with the height, but it measures 7 mm. I think thats the height of Roy's as well. Maybe it is because I re-sized it. I've had this file for a while on my computer.

I printed 1 at home, to test the look, because I messed up my Roy grips. :facepalm
I will be reordering new ones soon from Roy's as well, and I also had a 1 grip of these ordered on Shapeways, to see what they look like on their material. I've never tried shapeways, so I thought this would be a good test. I don't know if they'll paint well, so that's why I'd probably go with Roy's. I'm just afraid of messing up again. :lol

View attachment 655774

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. :)

Too me, they actually look shorter and a little wider, but the thickness on the base, after the curvature is about equal to Roy's, which is about 2 mm. I know there's a debate for channeled or not, and these are most likely inaccurate. But, for those who want that curvature, this file is not that off, i think. I did, however widened it a little if I remember correctly to 13.5 mm. I don't remember if I messed around with the height, but it measures 7 mm. I think thats the height of Roy's as well. Maybe it is because I re-sized it. I've had this file for a while on my computer.

I printed 1 at home, to test the look, because I messed up my Roy grips. :facepalm
I will be reordering new ones soon from Roy's as well, and I also had a 1 grip of these ordered on Shapeways, to see what they look like on their material. I've never tried shapeways, so I thought this would be a good test. I don't know if they'll paint well, so that's why I'd probably go with Roy's. I'm just afraid of messing up again. :lol

If you want accuracy, you can do TCSS, Blastech, or maybe, beg on the WTB forum and get some 2.0 grips. Add rivets, and all of these are great options. :)

It's nickle platted brass. However, since this part comes into contact with the bulb, the nickle wears down quite easily and exposes brass beneath. Thant's why most vintage graflex's look brass. The plating is worn down

The grips were hard plastic or printed plastic - not sure. They were not extruded plastic thats for sure - none of the crispness you'd associate with that. The upright of the T track was parallel (no taper to the top) and met the base of the T track with a tight right angle - no radius like Roy's grips etc. The base of the T track flared in places as if it had, had pressure on it while it was still malleable. Also the length of the T track base was not always straight, some had a misshaped curve.

The lighting in the room is very low, with spots lighting the exhibits so it is very difficult to see things clearly in there. The grips looked like they may have been painted/ powder coated as they seemed to show signs of chipping in places.

Sorry I didn't get to photograph anything else in detail as I had my 5 and 2 year old with me so I couldn't afford for to take my eyes of them for long ;)

Just tried modifying Roy's great T track to give it an underneath radius.
Stuck some 120 grit paper to 3 cell bottom and rubbed the track on it for 10 minuted - ta da!

It's a shame that Roy's profile doesn't match the TFA profile, as this would be the ultimate quick fix :)

View attachment 655900View attachment 655901View attachment 655902View attachment 655903View attachment 655904

Yes but it's not just the bottom curvature that's needed. Recall that you mentioned the TFA grips also had completely vertical fins at right angles to the base, unlike the tapered fins Roy uses that match ANH and ESB. So new T-track of this variety would still be ideal.

If you want accuracy, you can do TCSS, Blastech, or maybe, beg on the WTB forum and get some 2.0 grips. Add rivets, and all of these are great options. :)

Yes but the tcss and blastech grips are rubber, while the 2.0 grips are plastic, so whichever material you feel is most accurate would also come into play.

Last edited:
Yes but it's not just the bottom curvature that's needed. Recall that you mentioned the TFA grips also had completely vertical fins at right angles to the base, unlike the tapered fins Roy uses that match ANH and ESB. So new T-track of this variety would still be ideal.

Yes but the tcss and blastech grips are rubber, while the 2.0 grips are plastic, so whichever material you feel is most accurate would also come into play.
DINVADER posted back here an article from Cinefex about the TFA props, and they stated that the tfa grips were rubber. The PropShop ones all have 3D printing in play, not comfort of actors. So I still believe that the Blastech-TCSS grips are a good option.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back