Rogue One Vader costume

I wouldn't even bother looking at the Hasbro figure for saber accuracy or identification.

The Hot Toys figure looks great and if this is what we see in RO I won't be upset.

Last edited:
Although figures aren't usually the best reference, does that look like replica OT armor or is it slightly smaller looking to anyone else? That's definitely an ANH replica helmet painted glossy and clean.
image.jpeg

It not definitely an ANH replica helmet planted glossy and clean. They certainly tweaked that helmet - the cheeks, cheek tips, mouth sidewall/edges, others will get into dome flare...

But without a true straight on view, it's tough to tell how much the sculpt has been tweaked.

If this is remotely accurate to what we'll see on screen - I like it infinitely better than the ROTS Vader Helmet.

Judging on hot toys previous interpretations of Vader, I wouldn't count these images as a perfect representation of the screen used prop. Just keep that in mind. However this hot toys actually looks way better in terms of overall look than anything we've seen so far. At least that's what I feel b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It not definitely an ANH replica helmet planted glossy and clean. They certainly tweaked that helmet - the cheeks, cheek tips, mouth sidewall/edges, others will get into dome flare...

But without a true straight on view, it's tough to tell how much the sculpt has been tweaked.

If this is remotely accurate to what we'll see on screen - I like it infinitely better than the ROTS Vader Helmet.

oh it's 100 times better than ROTS, for sure.

well, without looking at the helmet straight on, I can't say for sure.... But I will say that it looks very similar to Hot Toys previous ANH Vader helmet. Except, now that you say it, the dome flair definitely looks slightly better, and more similar to an ROTS.

Problem is the "artist" who sculpted the original Stormtrooper understood the contours of the body, the flow from one part to another making a seamless encapsulated body suit. They understood those forms intimately and carried it over to each part of the armor to the next.This new suit features oversized and disproportionate limbs and gaps that the titanic could sail through. The Artist in question for the original body armor is Brian Muir and damn that guy is a sensational artist.The person who has made the new Stormtrooper basically copied that artwork but in translation lost the body contours and the seamless harmony between each piece. 98% of the population don't understand the above and won't care,but don't knock those who do.The helmet is ok but the body armor is just an insult to the original sculpt pure and simple. And the excuses for it are just sad. Sure the original suits were put together rough and quick but don't confuse that with the beauty of the original sculpt.

Ben
I agree that the shape of the OT stormtrooper suits look better.

I disagree with people who feel that every detail of the stormtrooper and Vader needs to be exactly like it was in 1976. They can make them up to 2016 standards and keep a similar feel. Whether they have been successful doing that is another question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The original costumes were made on a tight schedule with a low budget. They view this as an opportunity to make the costumes the way they should have been originally.

See I called it, "My favorite will be "they had to fresh in it up for today's modern audience". You know because the original costume was crappy and dated looking.:facepalm"
:lol

See I called it, "My favorite will be "they had to fresh in it up for today's modern audience". You know because the original costume was crappy and dated looking.:facepalm"
:lol

From the looks of it.... it honestly looks like it's about on standard with the original. If the Hot Toys is anything to go off of, I will be VERY happy.

Regarding the R1 Vader. It's very clear that they were trying to recreate the ANH costume, it's just that the people involved although I'm sure talented enough, just weren't as familiar with the original costume as they needed to be in order to create a faithful representation. The result is a version that looks like a mid level 501st fan made ANH costume. The shoulders look like giant football shoulder pads. The codpiece is HUGE and puffy, the chest armor is painted incorrectly, the capes were incorrectly patterned and poor fabric choices were used. The inner robe is under the chest armor. And there is weird amateurish looking dremel damage on the chestbox that doesn't belong. Had they only asked (or cared enough) I could have provided them with a near perfect replication of the original ANH costume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the R1 Vader. It's very clear that they were trying to recreate the ANH costume, it's just that the people involved although I'm sure talented enough, just weren't as familiar with the original costume as they needed to be in order to create a faithful representation. The result is a version that looks like a mid level 501st fan made ANH costume. The shoulders look like giant football shoulder pads. The codpiece is HUGE and puffy, the chest armor is painted incorrectly, the capes were incorrectly patterned and poor fabric choices were used. The inner robe is under the chest armor. And there is weird amateurish looking dremel damage on the chestbox that doesn't belong. Had they only asked (or cared enough) I could have provided them with a near perfect replication of the original ANH costume.
Can we just get over it? Darth Vader is returning to the big screen for the first time in 11 years and we complain about how big his shoulders are? Be lucky it isn't a Rubies Supreme.

Can we just get over it? Darth Vader is returning to the big screen for the first time in 11 years and we comp[lain about how big his shoulders are? Be lucky it isn't a Rubies Supreme.

You do realize this is the "Replica Prop Forum", where we discuss and examine props in the smallest detail. If that bothers you, may I suggest the Rogue One thread in the entertainment section. I am sure you can post there how cool it is to see Vader again.

This certainly sounds like some odd decisions. Couldn't they find someone the right size so padding isn't needed? It's not like the guy needs to do much acting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Disney has unlimited resources when it comes to Star Wars and the knowledge people have in this community. To skip out on Vader, arguably the most villainous character on screen, is lazy. Lazy on Disney and Lucasfilm.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back