eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!!

I got a reply on item 7. They are granting deposit refunds. It voids the Vader helmet offer, but it's cool. This is all on principal for me and when I receive my check I will be happy.

Good to hear, Numb. When I cancelled my Anovos ST helmet order, I was refunded within 30 minutes. There's no reason any other SW high volume prop vendor shouldn't be as expedient with a refund if the item hasn't even been approved for final production...

10.For our international customers, we will pay for the shipping of the Vader helmet, but you will be responsible for any duties or taxes levied by your country.

I know, but what value will be on it. They should mark it as a gift and value it at what it costs them to make. That would not only be better for us, but the most accurate way to fill out the customs form anyway in my opinion.

Keith.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, but what value will be on it. They should mark it as a gift and value it at what it costs them to make. That would not only be better for us, but the most accurate way to fill out the customs form anyway in my opinion.

Keith.

Even if they mark it as a gift it would be over the £35 max for customs anyway. There's no way they're going to put on there how much it actually costs them. I hate to say it but it sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that this is as good as it sounds and you're not going to get stung for £60 in extra taxes

I'm not trying to convince myself anything. I'm saying what, in my opinion, they should put on the forms, as its not a purchase and its not cost anyone $300.

Keith.

I agree with you Keith. Why would you pay tax on something that was given to you. The idea behind import taxes is the fact that your money is leaving the country. If no money is leaving the country then why pay.

Ben

We could debate the reasoning behind taxing a gift until the cows came home. However this is the case, and in this instance it's not how much you paid for it or how much it cost them, it's the value attached to it, which is $300. If you immediately sell this 'gift' as soon as you get it, customs could argue that vat should have been paid on it as it's a brand new item. I'm not saying it's right or fair, just saying that that is the kind of framework that large companies have to work within. If efx marked it as a zero value item, conceivably hmrc could come back to them on that.

What they could do I don't know given how utterly impotent they've been against huge companies like Google paying almost no tax, but it's a possibility that needs to be considered by them.

I agree with you Keith. Why would you pay tax on something that was given to you. The idea behind import taxes is the fact that your money is leaving the country. If no money is leaving the country then why pay.

Ben

Exactly!
I'm not saying value it at $0, but as its a gift, then what the item cost is what it cost EFX to make.

I could sell it and get whatever i get for it, but does that mean if you sell an MR Falcon for a lot more than what was on the original customs forms, that you have to pay the VAT on the profit you made?

Also, I'm not saying i can't understand it if they mark it at $300 or it would be wrong if they did, i'm saying there is no legal reason to do so and it would help if they didn't.

Keith.

If the value of the gifts is greater than £40 (€45, or equivalent in local currency), then:

• VAT is payable in all cases.
  • Duty will be payable unless:
    • the value of the gifts (not including shipping and insurance costs) is less than £135 (€150, or equivalent in local currency) or
    • the duty amount payable is less than £9 (€10, or equivalent in local currency).
  • A flat duty rate of 2.5% applies if:
    • the value of the gift is less than £630 (€700, or equivalent in local currency) and
    • it is to your benefit.
    • Otherwise the normal duty rate applies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vader Helmet looks really cool. I'm no expert. What's the deal? How does this compare to the Legend they did 5 years ago?

Exactly!
I'm not saying value it at $0, but as its a gift, then what the item cost is what it cost EFX to make.

I could sell it and get whatever i get for it, but does that mean if you sell an MR Falcon for a lot more than what was on the original customs forms, that you have to pay the VAT on the profit you made?

Also, I'm not saying i can't understand it if they mark it at $300 or it would be wrong if they did, i'm saying there is no legal reason to do so and it would help if they didn't.

Keith.

Actually if you sell anything that is collectible in nature for more than you paid for it, you may be liable for capital gains tax. I think the gain has to be several thousand over the original purchase price, but essentially the answer to your question is yes. You could owe tax on it.

I understand what you're saying but in fact it's quite possible, even probable that there is[/i] a legal reason for them marking it at full value despite the fact that it's a freebie.

Actually if you sell anything that is collectible in nature for more than you paid for it, you may be liable for capital gains tax. I think the gain has to be several thousand over the original purchase price, but essentially the answer to your question is yes. You could owe tax on it.

I understand what you're saying but in fact it's quite possible, even probable that there is[/i] a legal reason for them marking it at full value despite the fact that it's a freebie.

So if you sell something for a lot less than what you paid you should be able to claim some sort of depreciation tax. Lol. Funny how the powers that be don't allow it both ways. ;)

I get what you mean though. :)

Ben

image.jpeg

So if you sell something for a lot less than what you paid you should be able to claim some sort of depreciation tax. Lol. Funny how the powers that be don't allow it both ways. ;)

I get what you mean though. :)

Ben

Hah! Yes, that would be nice.

Anyway, I'm not advocating any holier than thou attitude, merely explaining why there is pretty much no chance of efx marking the helmet as anything other than $300, and hoping otherwise or suggesting there's no reason for them to do it like that is purely wishful thinking, unfortunately.

Did everyone get this "apology offer" in an email? I preordered with eFX and haven't gotten this message yet. I have also emailed their customer service address as well as Bryan's several times asking about a refund with no response (shocking I know!)

Has anyone heard if this is real or not, I have tried to reach out to Gino and that email address but have had no luck getting a reply.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back