A Plea to Real Parts Obi Questers

I'm sure I'll get some Mauser hate for chopping, brazing, and making a solo blaster that shoots bullets. But to me it's way more awesome this way. Heck I love shooting it and that alone probably causes more grief and depreciation. I enjoy it more though

As a current parts hunter, I understand it must be annoying that us crazy fans are ruining historical items for seemingly childish props. However, there are some things of note.

Not all props require the destruction of the original piece. The obi doesnt require cutting the grenade or booster and they can be returned to their original historic form if necessary (although the grenade is colored).
I do see the dissatisfaction of damaging a rare item like a mauser to make a prop but i do think a buyer has a right to do what he wants with an item (unless it is to violate the law and harm the security of another person).
The good thing with online forums are they are a place for people to get exposed to the world of forums. Sure, you go in with the intention of buying a grenade but through searching, you learn more about the item in question and appreciate its historical significance. I certainly learned more about rifle grenades through my search for one and appreciate the knowledge I gained from it. I still want one and will still frame it along with a graflex clamp and other items but it is still a beautiful grenade I can put back together if I want.

I think Marv has made a really nice point here. This prop interest has lead me to interests in other field I'd never even have known I'd enjoy if it weren't for props as a first step including large format photography (albeit short lived it was fun), militaria, shooting and model building. I too am giving serious consideration to building a Hawker Tomtit. I have a feeling that a 52" Bi plane model would be pretty magnificent.

I have also collected several found parts that I'll most likely never alter but still quite like to have and display such as old torches, scopes, calculators, record player parts etc. Collecting the old parts is almost as much fun as the prop building; it's the hunt that is rewarding to me quite often. Bizarre.

I think Marv has made a really nice point here. This prop interest has lead me to interests in other field I'd never even have known I'd enjoy if it weren't for props as a first step including large format photography (albeit short lived it was fun), militaria, shooting and model building. I too am giving serious consideration to building a Hawker Tomtit. I have a feeling that a 52" Bi plane model would be pretty magnificent.

I have also collected several found parts that I'll most likely never alter but still quite like to have and display such as old torches, scopes, calculators, record player parts etc. Collecting the old parts is almost as much fun as the prop building; it's the hunt that is rewarding to me quite often. Bizarre.
Amen! I totally agree to that last point :)

I dont know about you all, even though I may not be building an Obiwan saber; I tend to buy two of harder to find or eventually historically significant items for my projects. Especially if they are an authentic non repro item.

Not just for the project, but to preserve one and the "cool factor" of some of the origin parts of the projects I am working on.

Funny but this hobby has had the opposite effect with me in some cases. Take the Hero Macrobinoculars for instance, I've got the parts to build one of these but after seeing how nice a camera this is in its style and looks I sought out and got a working one with lenses which has deprived a prop builder I'm sure. I've no intention of selling it or letting any one chop it up, in fact ZombieKiller just recently sold me a box and instructions so I can keep it all nice and tidy.
I'm even considering actually building one of my Tomtit kits with my son as I think that would be a really nice father son thing to do. I would never have thought of these things before becoming a member here. So in a funny way this community has helped preserve one or two item too.

I would having personal problems too in getting those cameras destroyed. My goal would be a collection of those cameras, sitting next to a replica binoculars.:thumbsup

Amen to that!!!

The seller I got my booster from upped the asking price from $499 (kit of parts) to $649, and stated someone from GERMANY told him it was for a Star Wars laser sword. Seller stated buyer offered to pay full asking price and let seller keep all other parts... :facepalm Don't know what happened to that buyer, but deal didn't go through since I got the kit w/booster. :)

BUT YEAH... I was PISSED that anyone would open their mouth about what the part was used for. Same thing happened with the Graflex. :angry

I've still all e-mails and I've never stated that I wanted it for a LS. I was the middle man for another guy who wanted it for his saber.
And he was in contact with him, too.
I also wanted to keep him the rest of the parts because customs wouldn't have to let them through as a set of machine-gun stuff.
I'm sorry that he took up the price but that's happen when two or more partys are involved..
I'm still bothering in what I've paid for mine but I also thought that it was worth it to get the last part or another one for helping a friend out.

Well, I haven't been a member of this forum for very long but I've learned from the threads/discussions that, in general, mentioning that the item is intended for a Star Wars prop is not a good idea because of the historical aspect of the items or the fact that it will only drive the price up so the tactics you've described seem to be self defeating.

I hope the message gets through to those who think otherwise as they search for parts.

ugh everytime one of these threads gets going on Obi sabers I just get bummed. Holy have the prices gone mad.

I think in reality I will just have to wait until I become independently wealthy and then just pay the crazy prices people are wanting. I'll just Announce "Yeah this is for a lightsaber! You want more now?!?!" and then hurl piles of money at them.

Then I'll go home, put it on my shelf, and weep into my hands. For while I will then have the saber, I know I will have just bought true love rather than finding it.

I would having personal problems too in getting those cameras destroyed. My goal would be a collection of those cameras, sitting next to a replica binoculars.:thumbsup
Well you know there is one sat here waiting for you :)

Though I understand the history of any vintage parts ... if nobody is going to shoot any 8mm with that Eumig or fire another round of bullits out of that ANM2 booster ... let's just go ahead and recycle those nowadays unused parts and give them a second life as a STAR WARS REAL PARTS PROP ... please

:)

Chaim

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back