Monkey Paw tutorial

The Schlitzie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys! I have a pretty simple tutorial to make a monkey paw. Being Halloween time I found some nice things on sale for %50 off right after Halloween. One was a hanging witch that I immediately saw had great hands for $5. (apparently witches have very monkey-like hands)

First off I sawed the thumbs off and moved them much further down. Then I used hot glue to kind of sculpt in the gap around the thumb and fill it weird holes. I also sanded off the mold lines and the nails.

The next order of business was making some more realistic nails. I used fake nails and just trimmed them into small sticks and then rounded each end with a nail file and then glued them on. (and then I finished my beer)

If your hot glue sculpting skills aren't that great (like mine) you can go ahead with a coat of latex. Just brush it on and it will fill in the gaps. After it has dried you can also peel off sections to make your paw look old and nasty. I live in a small town so I got my latex at a carpet store.

Last edited:
Next, dab on a layer of Burnt Umber acrylic paint. Then dab on a layer of black acrylic.

Then you can seal in the paint work with a flat clear coat. Next is gluing on the fur. I used some wig material that I cut to length (this part gets kinda messy) and I use modge podge or rubber cement to attach the fur. Then paint the nails your desired color and put a coat of nail polish over it. All that's left is grind up some dark brown chalk or pastel and brush it over the palm.

NEXT UP -------- building a simple display!

You think he'll like it? There's usually some pretty high quality stuff up there. I'm building some wooden bases for them that I stained and I'm going to have a calligrapher make some labels for them (only costs a couple dollars and my handwriting sucks).

Share that with Propnomicon!

i call dibs on the left hand....just cuz i'm left handed LOL:devil

these came out freaking sweet!!!!! good job schlitzie....just don't make a wish...we all know what happens when you make a wish!!!

You think he'll like it? There's usually some pretty high quality stuff up there. I'm building some wooden bases for them that I stained and I'm going to have a calligrapher make some labels for them (only costs a couple dollars and my handwriting sucks).

Well, you'll never know if you don't​ submit it :)

Haha, I did make 2 for a reason, but I am keeping one.

i call dibs on the left hand....just cuz i'm left handed LOL:devil

these came out freaking sweet!!!!! good job schlitzie....just don't make a wish...we all know what happens when you make a wish!!!
Mike J. - true true

Last edited by a moderator:
does that mean i can have the other one or is it all ready taken?!?!? i'm confused:behave

any ways....i was just now thinking.....its too bad you didn't mold one of em after you glued down the thumb and fingernails.....could of put out a run real easy then.

Haha, I did make 2 for a reason, but I am keeping one.

I don't want to get in trouble with mods but, one will for sure be going up for sale in the Junkyard after I finish the base and get a label.

Making a mold of it would be fun but, It would kinda defeat the purpose of the thread. I'm posting the tutorial so that ones that are interested can make their own from scratch.

does that mean i can have the other one or is it all ready taken?!?!? i'm confused:behave

any ways....i was just now thinking.....its too bad you didn't mold one of em after you glued down the thumb and fingernails.....could of put out a run real easy then.

Thanks!

Yep! Nice work man. Great idea and it turned out really well.

i don't think making a mold would defeat the purpose of the thread if it was used as a kit project.....but that's just me nit picking lol...i love the thread anyway and i'm glad you're sharing the info....good job schlitzie:ninja

Making a mold of it would be fun but, It would kinda defeat the purpose of the thread. I'm posting the tutorial so that ones that are interested can make their own from scratch.

Hehe, that and I've never made a 2 part mold before, lol.

i don't think making a mold would defeat the purpose of the thread if it was used as a kit project.....but that's just me nit picking lol...i love the thread anyway and i'm glad you're sharing the info....good job schlitzie:ninja

well dang i'm gonna have to show you....its not that hard to do....i could always mold things for you to...if i get some things together to mold. its better to do a couple molds at the same time.

Hehe, that and I've never made a 2 part mold before, lol.

Hey, that sounds like a good plan! :cheers I'll bring the beer, lol.

well dang i'm gonna have to show you....its not that hard to do....i could always mold things for you to...if i get some things together to mold. its better to do a couple molds at the same time.

hay schlitzie could you post a pic of the witch you took the hands off of....i'm curious to see which one it was

Hey they look great mate. Seriously was not sure where it was going at first if you intended them for a full monkey or what but i love curios and they look superb.

I honestly had to tear it apart to get parts out of it. I might get a couple more to make some more monkey paws if there's interest in them...

hay schlitzie could you post a pic of the witch you took the hands off of....i'm curious to see which one it was

Yep, they're a prop from the W. W. Jacobs short story "The Monkey Paw".

Hey they look great mate. Seriously was not sure where it was going at first if you intended them for a full monkey or what but i love curios and they look superb.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back