Part Identification Help

Blue Leader

Sr Member
Hello! I've been working on a B-wing pilot costume for a while and have been trying to identify some of the parts that are on the helmet and chestbox (and just scratch-building what I can't identify to as closely as I can see) and now that another picture has surfaced showing some better details on some of the greeblies I was hoping that someone might be able to help me identify what they are, because so far I don't have a clue.

Firstly, I'm trying to identify these four parts...
B-WingpilotTenNumbArrow02.jpg

I've tried to crop and enlarge them, and I've brightened up the pictures a little, too.

Orange arrow...
bwingGreeblie01.jpg

Green arrow...
bwingGreeblie06.jpg

Blue arrow...
bwingGreeblie07.jpg

Purple arrow...
bwingGreeblie04.jpg

For some time I've also been trying to figure out what kind of computer plug is on the flak vest in this picture...
B-WingpilotTenNumbArrow01.jpg

Red arrow...
bwingGreeblie05.jpg

Does anyone happen to have any clue what those parts are?

I've found a socket connector that looks similar to the blue arrow, and is the right size, but it isn't the right color and the one in the picture above seems to be a little thinner with an extra ridge around the outside. This is the closest thing I've found so far.

Last edited:
The purple arrow seems to be an industrial female DIN connector like this one below:

con-8002_head_1.jpg

The Green is a Reversed CTS Pot used on guitars with some 2core/earth signal cable attached

Mojotone-CTS-250K-Potentiometer-Solid-Shaft-image.jpg

the Blue is an 50 way M Series Connector Block:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0da0/0900766b80da09ff.pdf

(picture on site is of the type not the actual connector see above data sheet:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/6808976/

the Red arrow is just the reverse mounted version of the Blue arrow (the terminating pins)

sorry i cant help with the orrange the image is just too low resolution !! maybe a spray pained thermocouple connector ??? real shot in the dark there !!

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermocouples/4094908/

hope it helps !!

Attachments

• $T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW8mZBQK1f2w8h!~~60_35.JPG
    $T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW8mZBQK1f2w8h!~~60_35.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 71
THAT was impressive!

The purple arrow seems to be an industrial female DIN connector like this one below:

View attachment 474929

The Green is a Reversed CTS Pot used on guitars with some 2core/earth signal cable attached

View attachment 474930

the Red arrow is just the reverse mounted version of the Blue arrow (the terminating pins)

sorry i cant help with the orrange the image is just too low resolution !! maybe a spray pained thermocouple connector ??? real shot in the dark there !!

hope it helps !!

Curses Sni9er! lol the one time I figured out what one of the pieces was.....you beat me to it! The M 50 connector.

Great job identifying those parts!!

- - - Updated - - -

Is the blue arrow some type of tray for holding tools (brushes, pens, I don't know)? Just spitballing here...

Read Sni9er's reply. He correctly ID'd the (blue arrow) part.

View attachment 474929

View attachment 474930

hope it helps !!

Wow, that was impressive! Thanks. I'll have to look into those.

The only question I have is the blue arrow, the connector thing. The one you looked looks like the piece I linked, this one, or at least it does in the diagram, and I have that piece... But it's missing the ridge around the outside edge. There's a picture of the piece I have below, and it looks really, really close, but it doesn't have the ridge around the outside. \
bwingPilotV4_Greeblies_SerialBus_Februray9-2015-01.jpg

And yeah, the resolution isn't very good in the picture. It's the biggest picture I could find. The orange arrow piece seems to have some sort of big silver block and then a black rectangular piece coming out from the bottom, or it could possibly be two parts (it looks like there might be a separation in the middle of the black piece). Not sure what it is. In another picture it looks like the silver piece might have some sort of writing on the front, possibly... Or at least it has some black markings on it. Assuming that it's the same piece, some of the greeblies are different on this chestbox, but it looks similar...
B-WingpilotTenNumb3.jpg

Though, granted, if the black marks are writing that could have been added later by the customers.

The May Star Wars Insider had a clearer picture of the white suit B-wing pilot in my first post so I scanned it in and thought maybe it would help to identify a couple of the parts better. The big silver rectangular greeblie in the black trench, I think I might have figured out what it is. I noticed that, if you look closely, on the side of the piece is says "OMRON", and I looked it up and found OMRON relays. OMRON is a Japanese electronics company established in 1933 and, from what I can understand, it sounds like the relays are used in vehicles. Comparing a modern OMRON relay to the picture they look to be fairly similar. I suspect that the one on the costume might be a clear plastic relay (there are also gray and black plastic relays) which would explain why the greeblie is so shiny (though it could be silver, it's hard to say), and the lines that are seen on the greeblie in other pre-production shots might be the components inside the relay.

So, now that I know what it is (I think) I was hoping that someone who knew more about electronic components than I do might be able to help identify the correct model of the relay, which I assume the model would be from somewhere around the late 1970s to around 1982. Here's a picture of one of the various types of modern OMRON relays, and this is the closest match I could find to the chestbox one, but as you can see the logo isn't right and it just doesn't have some of the other details, like the two protrusions on the left side...
51cYqKDdr9L._SX342_.jpg

preProBwing_Greeblie02.jpg

I'm also still trying to find the correct model for this greeblie...
|
preProBwing_Greeblie01.jpg

I also tried to crop another picture of the long black greeblie under the OMRON greeblie, but the picture didn't come out very clearly...
preProBwing_Greeblie03.jpg

And, while I know that this is a long shot, I've also been trying to figure out one other greeblie. It's the greeblie the arrow is pointing to in the picture below. I realize it's unlikely that anyone will have a clue as to what it is because it's pretty tiny in the picture and when enlarged it just becomes a big blur, but the shape is kind of different with what looks like two claw-like parts coming out of the bottom, so I figured that I might as well give it a shot...
preProBwing_ST01.jpg

preProBwing_ST-Greeb01.jpg

I also have a question about the CTS pot... Does that part have some kind of base that it fits into on guitars? I've just been trying to think of ways to attach it to the chestbox. (I've also been researching the correct model. Haven't come up with much so far. Might just have to go with a "close enough" one.)
preProBwing_Greeblie04.jpg

Last edited:
the 50 pin M series connector looks so familiar. I have a gray (rubberish) socket like that, but much smaller, I recognize the material. let me look through my junk pile..

The Red-Arrow part looks allot like a Guitar pickup, which interestingly looks to have a wire running to it from the Green-Arrowed potentiometer which was also commonly used on guitars, as Sni9er pointed out.

Allot of guitar potentiometers usually have a threaded section around the knob-post with a nut that tightens it to a pick-guard, kinda like guitar tuners have, so you should be able to mount it to the chestbox fairly easily that way.

-Carson

Last edited:
for the pot mounting basically it's the butt end your looking at to mount you only need to drilll a 6/7mm hole and screw the provided nut over the shaft for comfort you may want to cut of the end of the shaft though:

pt0001-1000.gif

you don't need a CTS pot exactly but one with the correct style base will be ok the problem is the bottom is rarely pictured in shots for sale as most now a days are just flat bottomed

also to add more that red arrow is defo the male version of the above plug

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0daf/0900766b80daf797.pdf
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/6808967/

to make your blue arrow match I think you just need the "Pin Hood" part to make it a match see page 24 of the above PDF this will make the connector match your reference (remember you will be looking at the connector from the back side (from the "Panel" in the below diagram):

aB4YVkg.png

to make your blue arrow match I think you just need the "Pin Hood" part to make it a match see page 24 of the above PDF this will make the connector match your reference (remember you will be looking at the connector from the back side (from the "Panel" in the below diagram):
Ooh, I see. So you think that extra ridge around it might be the "pin hood" thing? Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that!

As for the guitar pot thing, yeah, I noticed most of the pictures only show the side with the screw. I've seen a few that didn't have a flat face and looked somewhat more like the chestbox one... I might just get one that looks close enough and I could always slap a little paint onto it for the dark gray circle.

The Red-Arrow part looks allot like a Guitar pickup, which interestingly looks to have a wire running to it from the Green-Arrowed potentiometer which was also commonly used on guitars, as Sni9er pointed out.

-Carson
Hm, that's an interesting idea. By "guitar pickup" are you referring to something like this? could be, but it looks like some kind of computer connector to me, like something might plug into it (if it were still attached to the cord and was working).

Ooh, I see. So you think that extra ridge around it might be the "pin hood" thing? Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that!

As for the guitar pot thing, yeah, I noticed most of the pictures only show the side with the screw. I've seen a few that didn't have a flat face and looked somewhat more like the chestbox one... I might just get one that looks close enough and I could always slap a little paint onto it for the dark gray circle.

Hm, that's an interesting idea. By "guitar pickup" are you referring to something like this? could be, but it looks like some kind of computer connector to me, like something might plug into it (if it were still attached to the cord and was working).

the red arrow is the male version of the M50 connector FYI :p

page one of that PDF i linked :

Cj2uaJz.png

- - - Updated - - -

Also here is a CTS pot with the same colour FR4 PCB materiel and base moulding i don't think there is a dark grey circle more just the lighting of two offset flat reflective surfaces giving the illusion of a different shade anyway here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-450G-50...455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf68268ff

$_57.JPG

the red arrow is the male version of the M50 connector FYI :p

page one of that PDF i linked :

http://i.imgur.com/Cj2uaJz.png?1

- - - Updated - - -

Also here is a CTS pot with the same colour FR4 PCB materiel and base moulding i don't think there is a dark grey circle more just the lighting of two offset flat reflective surfaces giving the illusion of a different shade anyway here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-450G-50...455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf68268ff

View attachment 479036

Oh, thanks for the link! And I think you might be right about the red arrow.

Huh, it's going to take some figuring out how to attach that male piece to the vest. Hmm...Maybe they whacked off half of the black piece? Or maybe they took out the prongs, put them in backwards and glued the black piece so the face was facing the material? I'm going to have to think on that one for a while. XD

So I got extremely lucky on Ebay earlier this week... I was going to buy an OMRON relay that looked "close enough" because I had no idea what the accurate model was and couldn't find anything that matched (and I've been looking for quite a while). And then as I was looking around I spotted a relay that looked rather familiar... It's the accurate OMRON relay from the B-wing pilot chestbox! Looks to be the exact model and everything. I have no idea how I managed to find it, it was by pure luck alone, and I bought it the instant I saw it. :p

Here's a quick shot of it with the flash on my camera on so it reflects like it does in the pictures...
bwingPilotV4_OMRON-Realy_6-12-2015_01.jpg

I have the part identified by the blue arrow.
It is a 50 pin male winchester connector, part number for the grey one is MRAC50P.
I have one in black and one in grey. The square holes in the back of the grey one are easily drilled out if necessary. I think these connectors may even come in green.
These are pics of the back and face of both connectors.
View attachment 489688View attachment 489690

I have the part identified by the blue arrow.
It is a 50 pin male winchester connector, part number for the grey one is MRAC50P.
I have one in black and one in grey. The square holes in the back of the grey one are easily drilled out if necessary. I think these connectors may even come in green.
These are pics of the back and face of both connectors.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back