Exhausted Mom shamelessly seeks approval *OR* How I made a Star Lord costume in 1 DAY

Cabaline16

Apologies for length.... I'm venting! :popcorn

I joined this little community several months ago, with thoughts of a well-planned, well executed group of costumes for my family to wear for Halloween/Wizard-con Ohio. Plenty of time, everyone was in agreement (we would be the Avengers from "Earth's Mightiest Heroes"), it was going to be epicly good! :thumbsup

.....Fast forward 2 months, through endless mind-changes (the 6 year old and the Husband), a brand new Doctor Who obsession (the 8 year old, who now MUST be the 11th Doctor) and lots of waiting on my part. :facepalm Exactly 4 days before Halloween, my 6 year old finally landed on his own choice: He wants to be Star Lord. After lots of scrambling, I managed to pull this together (from scratch, mind you) in exactly one day.

I'm soooo not satisfied with it, but I am tired. My fingers are pin-sore. My back hurts from hunching over my craft table. I have ZERO effs left to give........ and I might be a little high off of contact cement fumes :wacko ....... so, with no other way to make the little buttons and doo-hickies on the bottom of the jacket, craft foam and acrylic paint it is!

So, without further ado...... our last-minute, thrown together, subpar (by this forum's amazing standards) Star Lord.

20141029_163902.jpeg20141029_164021.jpeg

He has a little store-bought mask and gun, and he's obviously not going to wear the DC kicks with the costume...... this was just the test fitting. ;)

20141029_164034.jpeg20141029_113025.jpeg20141029_113006.jpeg

Yep, I'm being lame and desperate. I'm shamelessly seeking pats on the back from you talented folks! But I had him try it on, after all of my blood, sweat and tears, and he said "Cool. Thanks Mom." and went right back to playing the X-box. God love these kids..... So I'm hoping to hear a "nice job" or two here, since I think you all understand the hardships of costuming better! :D

Re: Exhausted Mom shamelessly seeks approval *OR* How I made a Star Lord costume in 1

very well done! resourceful, creative, and really looks good!

If you do go with boots......I picked up some cheap binoculars at the dollar store and spray painted them silver. Attached them to the side of boots and VOILA! jet packs! easy and quick! good luck to you and great job!

Rocket and Starlord.jpg

Re: Exhausted Mom shamelessly seeks approval *OR* How I made a Star Lord costume in 1

I know how you feel! My kids do that same thing...So, I tip my hat too you. Nice job, (fist bump)

Excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT Work!!! Just suuuuuuuuuuu-perb!!!

Well done, very creative and what you've done looks amazing for the short amount of time you had...!!

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you think, as I have found out time and time again. If it brings smiles to the faces of everyone else, it's good work. We're our own worst critics. Great job!

For one day, I think you did a great job. And welcome to the forums!

Thanks, guys!! You guys know how to make a girl feel good ....and a bit silly for the navel-gazing! :lol

Will post full costume pictures after Trick or Treat tonight! :thumbsup

OK, here's the final project:

20141030_180518.jpeg 20141030_180537.jpeg20141030_180525.jpeg

Thanks again, for looking! Kiddo was much more enthusiastic when he put on the costume tonight! ;)

Awesome Mom Power Up +100

I was thinking about my own costumes as a kid today at work. My mom ended up making most of my brother and my costumes over the years. I honestly couldn't remember ever having a store bought one. I appreciate now all the hard work and sacrifice my single mom put into everything she did for me and my brother... for Halloween and every other day.

I think what you did is simply AMAZING! Well done, mom! I'm sure the kids will absolutely love it!

Give yourself a gold star -very nicely put together.

What a great Mom you are. Fantastic job! Taking lots of pictures will help remind you and your kids how much went into all of this, years after all that work is forgotten. That's one of the best things about Halloween...it pulls the family together for so much incredible, spooky fun and great memories! What you have done is the REAL MAGICAL ELEMENT of Halloween!

I think it looks fantastic!

Your boy looks great and thats a great job for such a time crunch :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back