Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

I call BS with the bit of the trailer where it shows one of the turtles taking out a hummer by crashing into shell first by sliding down a snowy mountain side. Seriously, who came up with that idea?

A lot of whining on here. ***** H, I'll go get some cheese and crackers and ya'll can have a little pity party.

I think I've read/watched every single incarnation of TMNT. Movies, cartoons, comics...I probably have it. Absolutely LOVE the ninja turtles. They were my favorite as a kid and I still love them to this day. The first movie is STILL a great movie to this day and actually holds up really well over time. That being said...overall, this trailer fit in with a lot of the thematic beats from many of the different incarnations of TMNT. Yes, they are a little bigger and have nostrils but I'm not sure how that is "raping your childhood". Leo's profile in the one shot is great. He looks like a leader and his silhouette/shape is great. I also really like the way his shell comes up behind his head. The limited dialogue that we get from the turtles themselves seemed pretty spot on. The jokes landed well and the action seemed to be maybe the best live action that we've seen in a turtles film. All good stuff.

My biggest concern is the dynamic between Shredder and Splinter. Overall the story seems okay but the trailer alludes that it is The Shredder and April ONeil's father (Kirby) who created the turtles. Now...if they are responsible for creating the ooze and then an accident causes them to lose a thing of ooze and a mishap in the sewer creates the turtles...okay, cool. However, if The Shredder is DIRECTLY responsible for creating the turtles themselves then I think that is weird. If that is true then it kind of sets up The Shredder as the turtles father. In essence, at least in my mind, the TMNT is an immigrant story. It's the story of a single father who was forced to flee Japan due to his rival. He comes to America where, due to a series of events, receives 4 boys that he takes in as his family. He raises these boys the best he can using old/traditional values while knowing that they are actually American teenagers...and will act as such. I hope they didn't full lose that part of the story.

Overall this was a minute and a half teaser trailer. Let's not all jump to conclusions.

The movie looks like it has the potential to be a fun popcorn flick. But I can. NOT. Get. Past. How. UGLY those turtles are! Pure nightmare fuel. I mean, if Raiders of the Lost Ark had starred Marty Feldman, I'd be more likely to give it a pass than a TMNT flick with those talking goblin boogers.

Megan Fox? Still hot. I'd pay a hundred bucks to let her spit on me.

The movie looks like it has the potential to be a fun popcorn flick. But I can. NOT. Get. Past. How. UGLY those turtles are! Pure nightmare fuel. I mean, if Raiders of the Lost Ark had starred Marty Feldman, I'd be more likely to give it a pass than a TMNT flick with those talking goblin boogers.

You'd probably pay a few more million in medical bills afterward.

A lot of whining on here. ***** H, I'll go get some cheese and crackers and ya'll can have a little pity party.

I think I've read/watched every single incarnation of TMNT. Movies, cartoons, comics...I probably have it. Absolutely LOVE the ninja turtles. They were my favorite as a kid and I still love them to this day. The first movie is STILL a great movie to this day and actually holds up really well over time. That being said...overall, this trailer fit in with a lot of the thematic beats from many of the different incarnations of TMNT. Yes, they are a little bigger and have nostrils but I'm not sure how that is "raping your childhood". Leo's profile in the one shot is great. He looks like a leader and his silhouette/shape is great. I also really like the way his shell comes up behind his head. The limited dialogue that we get from the turtles themselves seemed pretty spot on. The jokes landed well and the action seemed to be maybe the best live action that we've seen in a turtles film. All good stuff.

My biggest concern is the dynamic between Shredder and Splinter. Overall the story seems okay but the trailer alludes that it is The Shredder and April ONeil's father (Kirby) who created the turtles. Now...if they are responsible for creating the ooze and then an accident causes them to lose a thing of ooze and a mishap in the sewer creates the turtles...okay, cool. However, if The Shredder is DIRECTLY responsible for creating the turtles themselves then I think that is weird. If that is true then it kind of sets up The Shredder as the turtles father. In essence, at least in my mind, the TMNT is an immigrant story. It's the story of a single father who was forced to flee Japan due to his rival. He comes to America where, due to a series of events, receives 4 boys that he takes in as his family. He raises these boys the best he can using old/traditional values while knowing that they are actually American teenagers...and will act as such. I hope they didn't full lose that part of the story.

Overall this was a minute and a half teaser trailer. Let's not all jump to conclusions.

I don't at all consider it a raping of childhood thing. I just simply think it's a shoddy incarnation of the franchise. I've been pretty happy overall with each new generational attempt to reintroduce the franchise through it's 80's cartoon days, to 2000's, the CG film, and even the Nickelodeon toons are pretty great! TMNT 3 was probably the least favorite out of all of them.

When I see what i've seen in this film so far I am just not getting a good vibe from it at all. It looks like an explosive action flick with ninja turtles thrown in the middle of it. The foot clan are supposed to be pretty stealthy and they just appear to be a group of terrorist thugs. Shredder is not even portrayed even close to what his story is. Sure it's taken some creative liberties over time on his background, but they haven't deviated too far away as they have this time around. I mean this just doesn't make any sense.

Everyone here has VERY valid points. This isn't just our ninja turtles the way we know them in a messed up film situation. This is the ninja turtles the way we've never known them to be, with a bad guy the way he's never been, with a mass team of bad guys who have never been pulled from a 300 movie with assault rifles.... I mean it's like they had no idea what anything was about and just made up their own thing. The turtles don't even look like characters I could attach to. They look like phony wannabes and I just don't know what anyone was really thinking when they went about making this film. The history and characters were never broken. There was no need to try and fix it (I have another select alternative word that begins with the letter f, but will just say FIX for the sake of rules).

I seriously in all my years as a turtles fan since its arrival in comics through all the 80's and beyond have I ever been so disappointed in what I am seeing here. I have maintained a very open mind and accepted and embraced each generation of the turtles brought to the small and big screen, but this movie does not at all say TMNT to me. I will REALLY hope to be wrong as the film draws closer with more trailers to change my mind, but aesthetically and initial feel/tone of things, I am just NOT seeing it.

I love the honesty...and I would too

niennumb1

It was a 1 minute and 30 second teaser trailer. At this point in time we really have no idea what the plot or story of the movie is. If you don't like the way they look, fine. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of the nostrils and they seem pretty big. However, we don't know anything about the story of the movie. We don't know Shredder's motivation or how he came to be or where he is from, how the turtles are introduced to the ooze, if there's a backstory between Shredder/Splinter, where the ooze comes from, how Karai (who's in the cast) fits into the story, the dynamic between the brothers, etc. There are like 1000 different variables that could make this really cool and neat and interesting and new and all that was going on in this board was, "they don't look the same, explosions!, Michael Bay raped my childhood" etc etc.

On boards such as the RPF I look for DISCUSSION with people of similar interests. Not blanket statements of opinion. If you don't like the way the turtles look then go build your own and show people how much better your vision is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude, I have no qualms about remakes. I can decide for myself which ones deserve my attention, and which don't.

For example, Phantasm V is being released soon, the trailer looked a bit cheesy but, overall, it appeared to have all the correct elements to help reignite my nostalgia.

These turtles just have these really creepy features. Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe I won't. But the damn Shredder plot-line, how will this be that immigrant story you spoke of?? The guy is in no way from Japan. He and Splinter can't have that feud.

The shooting style just reminds me of a few Bay actioners, so pardon me if I that is you cup of tea for the last decade and a half, cuz' that would be how long you'd be shoveling down this crap if you were a fan of Bay's.

We're fans. As a fan, it's our nature to judge, instantly and harshly, about what we like and what we don't like. in this world where people get so upset over people's opinions, we've turned into a bunch of yes men. It's nice to have a message board where we can trash something we don't like if we see fit and have a valid reason for doing so ;o).

As a fan, I've liked what has come before. It took me a LONG time to get used to the Mirage comic, but over time, I got to enjoy the different tone.
Turtles 87 I liked instantly.
The Movies I liked instantly (although I could have done without vinilla ice. the movie stops for me at that point ;o) ).
Next Mutation has good intentions in turtle design, but the cheap budget and terrible saban nature ruined it.
Turtles 2K3 re-invigorated my love for the property. same with the 07 movie.
The new cartoon is enjoyable....but it's a tad too goofy at times for my sake. For instance, Michelangelo seems mentally deranged at times and comes off as worse than stupid.
But on the whole, I enjoy it.

Based on everything we've heard, and the track record of the people involved, and the material shown so far, I think we have enough at hand to judge whether or not this will be a great piece of turtle history, or a Turd that'll wind up flushed down the sewers and forgotten about.

Things I don't like based on hand. Meghan Fox. Giant Roided Turtles. Clothed Turtles. Shrek Faced Turtles. Foot that seem more interested in guns than swords and bo staff. Shredders swiss army knife costume (how does he even put it on without getting cut? overkill). Michael Bay, nuff said. A writer who's interview made me feel like he never watched a second of turtle material in his life and is just quoting known facts about the property.

Based on that alone, my initial conclusion is, this is going to suck. your mileage may vary, of course......;o).

I would LOVE to see a group of fans raise enough funds to do things the right way. Japanese actors playing shredder and splinter. Past voice actors of the turtles coming back to reprise roles. Good Foam costumes that could rival jim hensons'. That would require alot of people with talent and time that most just don't have these days. It's been accomplished in the star trek world, however, so it is possible.

Still think the whole franchise is a bit stupid.....the trailer looks,meh funny with the music how it sound's like a Die Hard flick :lol

And the turtles themselves? pigs? no,Shrek? nope....so what do I think they look like? to be honest they look like green burn victims,no seriously go look at people who have survived third degree burns of the face and get back to me.

They look less mutated and more melted.

MOST classic turtle fans, THAT I KNOW, have been against it since we heard the words michael bay uttered.

Not I. I mean Bay still made The Rock which I really liked. So All these years I have been waiting and waiting for another "good one". Then they announced Megan Fox as April and I got this vivid flashback of how they kicked her off Transformers 3.... and I was like, "why would Bay work with her now all of the sudden???" :wacko everything went downhil from there and now it's in freefall just waiting for the film to be released and the ground to come oblivirate our childhood memories :p

:facepalm

I'm a long-time fan. From the black and white comics, to the cartoons, to the movies (the first two, but mostly, just the first one, now). Never really got into any of the cartoons after all of that, but did enjoy Turtles Forever. I'm not crazy about the nostrils, but all along, I didn't have any major issue with the new look. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I kinda dug it, but I read a comment from a poster in one of the online articles that kinda summed it up for me. Basically, I like them because they're ugly. I like that they look like they shouldn't work, with their hunched posture and huge shells that should weigh them down. They're mutated turtles. They're not supposed to look nice and neat and sculpted. It just makes more sense to me that they'd look awkward. I hate to explain it this way, and I hope that my meaning comes through, but haven't you ever seen someone who was so ugl...um, unattractive, that it almost looked like it would be painful to be that way? That's how this re-design strikes me. They're not supposed to be comfortable standing on their two hind legs, using the front two as arms. But they've trained that much harder, and forced their bodies to make it work. Sure the faces are a bit too human, but overall, I still think they look more like, well, mutants. And I dig that.

These turtles just have these really creepy features. Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe I won't. But the damn Shredder plot-line, how will this be that immigrant story you spoke of?? The guy is in no way from Japan. He and Splinter can't have that feud.
Eh? Why not?
There was this big thing a few years ago called World War 2. A lot of American GI's were running around Japan shortly after that war. There have been American military bases there ever since. There ARE white people in Japan, you know. For about 70 years or so.
Who's to say he's not half Japanese? Who's to say he wasn't the son of an American who was adopted by a Japanese family? Who's to say he hasn't spent the last 25 years in Japan as a businessman or something and hasn't adopted their culture? Or acquired the Foot clan in some sort of coup?
Furthermore, a lot of you "true fans" are overlooking the current IDW comic series, co-written by Kevin Eastman. This story clearly shows the turtles, Splinter and Shredder are reincarnations of their Feudal Japanese selves and have assumed their ancient identities. Their current ethnic origin doesn't matter.
And in that same comic series, Kirby O'Neil worked on the ooze project at TCRI. The turtles and splinter were test subjects at TCRI, who were trying to make *gasp* SUPER SOLDIERS. DAMN YOU MICHAEL BA-- er I mean KEVIN EASTMAN! You hack fraud! I bet you've never read a single Ninja Doowhacky comic strip in your life!

People, the origin for the turtles has changed a few times over the past 3 decades. Personally, I think a rat who mimicked karate moves, moved to New York, just happened to find baby turtles covered in extra-dimensional mutagen then raised them to be crime fighters is... well, it can survive a few changes here and there. It's fun and it's classic, but it's not exactly the single greatest work of fiction that's been put to paper.

As for my opinions on what we've seen so far in this trailer: No, it doesn't look especially original. Neither were the first TMNT comics, which were ripoffs or spoofs (depending on what interview you read from which creator) of Daredevil. It has a definite Michael Bay style, with the lighting and the camera angles. I'm not a fan of that. The Turtle faces look kind of ugly. They're enormous, which is new. And I'm not a huge fan of the clothing, but they ARE teenagers and it IS weird they'd be running around naked all the time. So whatever.

This will be dumb. It will make me groan a few times (Whoopi Goldberg, anyone?). I will like the comics better. But it will be fun and entertaining, and that's all I can ask for and all I've ever asked for. I'm not delusional enough to think the source material is some high art masterpiece.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back