Han Solo Compac Scope Super 4x31 - a question

I don't remember how long it's been since the info was discovered, but I bought mine over 3 years ago.
The correct variation is super rare. I think there are only a couple on the board. No idea what price they'd bring.
Adamata might have been the first to find a 2 1/2 and he sells resin copies. The windage knob base on his is slightly inaccurate though.

Quite a price jump on the 4x31 from $75 to $482.77.

Maybe it's time to list my spare 4x31 on eBay. ;)

Wrong! ;) I was the one, who found the 2 1/2 on ebay but due to a sellers mistake (it was a BIN auction), it was sold/ shipped to Tony, even if I sent payment first. It´s not Tony, who´s to blame but this stupid ebay-seller.....ah well, a bitter memory every time these pictures pop up :(

Found another 2 1/2 a few years later.

WOW...$482+???
Guess I got lucky to buy my last one for $100 inc. s&h a few days ago

Markus :)

DANG! you got another one the other day!? Ok... any variations? How is it... years go by and nothing and then all of a sudden a virtual flood of them?

The high price on that last one might encourage more to sell.
Exactra 21 calculators used to be super rare until they started selling high on eBay. Now you see them pop up all the time.

That's too bad about your first Compac 2 1/2 Markus.
I got super lucky with mine and grabbed it for $17 Buy It Now! I beat Chris Reiff to it by minutes. He emailed me about it while I was completing checkout on Paypal. :)

I think all the variations are in the knob base. The close one has a slotted screw centered on the top. The correct one had an allen head screw towards the front edge. I think there's another with a completely incorrect knob base.

I didn't know one had allen head screws.... that's weird.

Here's the one I had with wrong knob base:

photo%201.JPG

Only the top screw is an allen head and it's only on the 2 1/2 from what I've seen.
The allen head screw is towards the front like your bottom scope.
Your bottom one looks like the 4x31 I have. It's the next best thing to the 2 1/2.

Yeah from what I can see on reference pics I knew the middle screw was on the top, but just always figured it was a flat head like the rest.

I have two of the 4x31 like the one bottom pictured (the top one I sold a while back) now, and the latest one is missing that middle screw... and sits with the windage base lifted like the post production shots of the prop. It also has another of the screws broken in place. So... I wonder it the one with the single allen head was a replacement screw? They seem to be fairly cheap...

Yeah from what I can see on reference pics I knew the middle screw was on the top, but just always figured it was a flat head like the rest.

I have two of the 4x31 like the one bottom pictured (the top one I sold a while back) now, and the latest one is missing that middle screw... and sits with the windage base lifted like the post production shots of the prop. It also has another of the screws broken in place. So... I wonder it the one with the single allen head was a replacement screw? They seem to be fairly cheap...

The allen head is a countersunk cap screw which fits in there perfectly.
Isn't the slotted screw on the 4x31 an oval head? I can't unscrew it from my 4x31 to check.

The high price on that last one might encourage more to sell.
Exactra 21 calculators used to be super rare until they started selling high on eBay. Now you see them pop up all the time.

That's too bad about your first Compac 2 1/2 Markus.
I got super lucky with mine and grabbed it for $17 Buy It Now! I beat Chris Reiff to it by minutes. He emailed me about it while I was completing checkout on Paypal. :)

I think all the variations are in the knob base. The close one has a slotted screw centered on the top. The correct one had an allen head screw towards the front edge. I think there's another with a completely incorrect knob base.

There are variations in the rear scope bell as well. Lichtbringer posted a picture of a 4x31 with a -to me- completely unknown bell.
Otherwise it´s just a matter of windage knob bases, yes. I know of the two posted by Scott, plus one currently on ebay with a non-removeable knob base as far as I can tell?!

Bought my 4x31 last week, so it´ll take a while before I receive it.
Maybe I´ll be in need of your service Scott, to lathe down the front bells of my two 4x31 ;)

Markus

I remember Lichtbringer's too. Very weird. Yeah I saw the "Nitrogen filled" one on ebay. Not even close to correct in any way, but neat.

Markus, Sure I can help with those, no problem.

Chris, the original brass screws on mine are all like this. Small brass painted short filister style heads. The base of the screw recesses on the knob base is flat... so an oval head won't sit flush.

compacscsrew.JPG

Actually, IIRC what happened with that scope was that the auction had ended with no bidders when I found it and I contacted the seller to buy it outright. They said that it was broken (it had fallen off a shelf, yeah right) and I said I didn't care because it was going to be a collectible item, not used for hunting, etc and that I still wanted it very badly.

They finally said OK and I sent payment for it.

After I got it I had found out that Markus also contacted them and they took his money too. I had no idea about any of that.

I asked the sellers about a BIN option and they agreed, I sent money and waited for my item to be shipped. Tony, aware of the -now on my behalf ended- auction, contacted them parallely. seller (actually TWO different people corresponding with two different parties.. US, Tony and me :lol) screwed it up and also sold & shipped it to Tony. Waited a few weeks before I found out and got refunded in the end.

Wasn't Tony's fault at all, but I was still pissed at that time :lol

Thank god I found a real one later on, otherwise I would still be angry about that stupid seller ;)

Scott: thanks for being willing to help. I senr you an email, once I received the 4x31 and removed the front bell(s). Is there any tell to determine if a front bell is useable to machine it down or not?!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back