My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!)

So, are you milling down all the plating somehow?

I'm surprised 'someone' hasn't started with just the frame and plated it up from there :wacko

I'm surprised 'someone' hasn't started with just the frame and plated it up from there :wacko

Thats probably the easier option. Cant believe you are going to all the trouble.

Hats off to you for the effort....

Yeah I am going to sand off the original plating and trim the hull edges/pit sides back so that the new hull plating hangs over all the edges correctly! Plus I can fill all the seams as well so you don't see those big gaps in-between the plating that you get now from putting them all together.

BTMF_066_01-parts-1.jpg
(ill cut the hull back to that lip that is there all the way around to get that shelf you see on the SS model and allow the new plating to hang over correctly)

If I had this to do over I would have just used the armature and all the hull shapes sanded flat and built it all up from those raw forms, I clearly didn't plan this all out very well haha but to be fair I only decided to do all these mods half way through the build ; / I already have painted the lower hull haha going to have to scrap that and do it all over after I get all the kit parts on it and new plating... This model is such an undertaking and time/money investment I just decided to take it as far as I could so I would be happy with the final SS scale replica and not look at it and say I wish I would have done "x" might as well take the extra time to make it exactly how I want it.
Its the problem with long term art projects, techniques and skills evolve so you keep redoing stuff haha

WOW Ktaylor, this is quite the endeavor! I suddenly feel so inadequate, lol.

Silly question, how will you be sanding down the plating without distorting them? Are you gonna sand them down while they are attached to the metal frame? I had thought about doing this to just the outer edge pieces but was afraid I would warp or break them in the process.

WOW Ktaylor, this is quite the endeavor! I suddenly feel so inadequate, lol.

Silly question, how will you be sanding down the plating without distorting them? Are you gonna sand them down while they are attached to the metal frame? I had thought about doing this to just the outer edge pieces but was afraid I would warp or break them in the process.

I'm going to take the panels off the armature and sand them down individually using a glass sheet that is true with some sandpaper on it, the hard glass really helps the sanding process and lets the paper really cut well. The plastic is pretty flexible so it should work well, this is basically how I sanded down the sides of the corridors on the hull to add the plating back on page one of this thread and that worked out really well. Once I get the plating off I will re attach the pieces to the armature and do a quick final leveling pass on them and seam filling, then glue on the new hull plates.

Yeah this has snowballed on me as I went though building haha, I certainly didn't plan this out from the beginning as I should have but oh well here I am haha

OK, thanks for the explanation. Personally, I wished had not read Rahn420's post about just just plating up the metal frame, lol. That had NEVER occurred to me before now and now I have all sorts of ideas about doing just that! lol I have yet to add the top panels and the bottom panels would come off just as fast as they were screwed on, lol.

One nice side affect of just plating up the metal frames would be losing the front landing gear boxes if I wanted to better replicate the 5 footer. OH the madness!!! lol

OK, thanks for the explanation. Personally, I wished had not read Rahn420's post about just just plating up the metal frame, lol. That had NEVER occurred to me before now and now I have all sorts of ideas about doing just that! lol I have yet to add the top panels and the bottom panels would come off just as fast as they were screwed on, lol.

One nice side affect of just plating up the metal frames would be losing the front landing gear boxes if I wanted to better replicate the 5 footer. OH the madness!!! lol

See, you took the Red pill, ALWAYS TAKE THE BLUE PILL!!! hahah

I would LOVE to do a 5' falcon, I just don't think the size is practical for me ha, I have considered doing some warping of the hull plating that hangs over to get some of the crumpled look that the 5' has since I'm replacing them it would be really easy, not sure yet as I'm trying to be pure to the 32" but its just so cool looking and sells the look so good that I might go off script and do it!

Did my first pressure mold/castings, turned out great! Really impressed with how clean and bubble free they came out, guess this pressure stuff is that way to go!
i got the cheapie HF pot and replaced most of the brass, using a little 100psi pancake compressor with no probs! Used smooth on silicon MoldStar 20-T and some 1:1 allumite(sp) slow set resin ( 7/30 pot/cure time)
Used 30psi for both the mold and the resin and it worked great!
should more than pay for itself with all the kits I don't have to buy multiples of! Excited!

IMG_3165.JPGIMG_3166.JPGIMG_3168.JPGIMG_3169.JPGIMG_3132.JPGIMG_3155.JPG

Have a question about selling castings of kit parts. I saw this line in the FAQ
"Selling for or promoting services, products or sites of banned members or known re-casters is not permitted."

I wasn't sure how to interpret this, is it okay to offer kit part castings for sale here in the project runs section?

Thanks for any help!

Have a question about selling castings of kit parts. I saw this line in the FAQ
"Selling for or promoting services, products or sites of banned members or known re-casters is not permitted."

I wasn't sure how to interpret this, is it okay to offer kit part castings for sale here in the project runs section?

Thanks for any help!

They way I understand that quote is that it is a 'no-no' to try and sell anything that is, or was, being promoted by someone who is considered to have been 're-casting' someone elses work...But I know for sure that others have molded and cast specific parts from model kits to be used in studio scale modeling, and that sets of those cast kit parts have been sold.

So IMO it should be fine to offer a set of cast kit parts...BUT...that is just how I see and understand it, you should try and see what others say about this too, I would also like a definitive answer on this.

The line in the FAQ is not relevant to what you are wanting to do.

Its basically saying that "guy" is banned dont help him sell his stuff here.

There are castings of kit parts in the junkyard all the time, ive done it myself with vibro ax parts.

Thanks Bwize, it's coming I'm still working on the laser cut pattern, lots of little notches and panels to check so it's kinda slow going, hopefully over the next couple weeks I'll have them all planned out and ready to cut for the top of the hull!

Finished up the molding and casting for my new Engine vents, love they way they turned out and couldn't be happier! They are a 2 part set with the ring as one casting and the vents as a separate casting that fits in the back of the rings, makes working with them and painting much easier. The vents are cast in Black resin and Ill prolly just weather right on top of that without painting them.

Got to finish out a lot more of the detailing on the deck as well now that they are installed! Close!!!!

IMG_3628.JPGIMG_3634.JPGIMG_3633.JPGIMG_3632.JPGIMG_3635.JPGIMG_3629.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back