Zvezda Star Destroyer-a WIP

Instead of tulip, couldn't you have just used Testors putty and some fingernail polish remover?

I would recommend Perfect Plastic Putty. It goes on much as the Tulip paint does. That said, Robiwon seems to have it sorted quite well, as is.

Thanks guys. I have a lot of different putties, thinners, sanders, etc. I try to pick the best tool for the job and for this tiny, and I mean TINY seam, Tulip worked great. I didn't want to use a putty where sanding would have been required as I didn't want to loose any surronding detail.

Oh, and my fiber just came in todays mail. I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight!

Where did you hear that? Revell of Germany will re-box in April for sale in Europe. Zvezda has stated on their site that they do not have a license for the US.

That's a great idea for filling in the seam!
I had e-mailed Revell USA asking if the Revell of Germany issue of the Zvezda Star Destroyer will be sold in the US since Revell USA has the Star Wars license.
It seems that Revell USA will also be issuing the Zvezda kit in May in the US.
Here is the response I got from Revell USA:

Yes our plan is to have this kit available in May. Our kit number will be 85-6459.
Hope that is what you needed. The retail price has not been fixed yet. Should be soon however.

Regards,
Ed Sexton
Revell, Inc.

Screenshot_2017-01-11-11-59-27.pngHere's the conversation I had with Zvezda. You should be able to make the image bigger by clicking on it.

Also, a few words on fiber optics. I used to work in visual effects in Hollywood. A thing to remember is that the studio models were made for filming multiple passes which were composited later. The fiber points on the studio model were bright enough for the lighting pass, the beauty pass being separate. The model being made for eyes-on display needs to have enough brightness to be seen while the rest of the model is lit for display. This can mean that your fiber light source should be brighter than normal to be seen in daylight. Some experimentation may be necessary to suit your display method and area. A variable brightness source may be a very good bet.

It seems that Revell USA will also be issuing the Zvezda kit in May in the US.
Here is the response I got from Revell USA:

Yes our plan is to have this kit available in May. Our kit number will be 85-6459.

Good news! Hopefully it will be priced reasonably. Just speculation, but I wonder if Revell's decision to offer the Z to the U.S. market has anything to do with the hint that Bandai has a "big" release planned for the summer. It seems an interesting move for them considering they already have an in-house SD on the market.

Maybe Bandai was waiting to see what the Zvezda offering was going to be like before releasing their own.

Here's the bottom line for me: Within the next 6 to 9 months I'm going to own a 2-foot, reasonably accurate replica of the ESB Star Destroyer suitable for lighting and super-detailing. It's only a matter of which company wants to take my money.

I responded to the e-mail and said I was asking if the Revell of Germany issue of the Zvezda Star Destroyer will be sold in the US but since they(Revell USA) will also be issuing it that's even better.

Ed responded again and said," Yes we have to do it that way because of licensing rules."

He sent me the item number in his first response. This is going to happen. It is the 40th anniversary and Revell does sell the Fine Molds kits so this all makes sense to me. They can appeal to the serious model builders by offering the Zevzda kit without having done the R&D themselves and still have the snap kit as a cheaper and more affordable alternative.

Ed just responded again and said it should be around April. April/May, what's the difference. lol It'll be so much easier for those of us in the US to get these.

With the exception of Bandai's palm sized star destroyer I haven't bought any ship models before. This one looks pretty darn brilliant.
Does anyone here at the RPF tend to offer a build/paint/lighting service??? :confused seeing as how my skills(lack of?) leaves much to be desired :(

View attachment 697401Here's the conversation I had with Zvezda. You should be able to make the image bigger by clicking on it.

Also, a few words on fiber optics. I used to work in visual effects in Hollywood. A thing to remember is that the studio models were made for filming multiple passes which were composited later. The fiber points on the studio model were bright enough for the lighting pass, the beauty pass being separate. The model being made for eyes-on display needs to have enough brightness to be seen while the rest of the model is lit for display. This can mean that your fiber light source should be brighter than normal to be seen in daylight. Some experimentation may be necessary to suit your display method and area. A variable brightness source may be a very good bet.

Yes, or a type of dimmer. Very annoying when photographing a nice model with blown out lights.

The problem with Revell for me is the Revell (Fine molds) 1/48 Tie fighter in my hobby shop is $140 AUS and so is the X-Wing .................so what the hell are they going to charge for the SD I know you can get them cheaper online but I am just talking about hobby shops

Last edited:
I agree Gans, the Revell kits are either rare or non existant in local hobby shops, part of the problem lies with the Aust Revell distributors, for some reason they charge a premium to retailers to order the star wars kits, so the retailers have to charge the high prices to break even, which results in them not ordering any more!

Given the Fine Molds falcon goes for $500 Aus, i could only assume the big Z will command a similar price!

Given the Fine Molds falcon goes for $500 Aus, i could only assume the big Z will command a similar price!

Not neccessary. For example here in Germany the Revell kits go for:

Ex-FM Tiefighter 80€
Ex-FM MF between 220 and 250€
Ex-Zvezda Pirate ship 90€

The Zvezda SD is announced for 90€

Maybe you can compare those with the requested prices for these kits in your area.

Edit: The Tie and Pirate prices are Revell MSRP, the MF is a price from the net. On Amazon they are cheaper, 50 for Tie and 60 for pirate.

Last edited:
The problem with Revell for me is the Revell (Fine molds) 1/48 Tie fighter in my hobby shop is $140 AUS and so is the X-Wing .................so what the hell are they going to charge for the SD I know you can get them cheaper online but I am just talking about hobby shops

I got mine for $180 AUD posted from evilbay as I just know any release sold here will have a price that unashamedly rapes your bank account or wallet. :lol

So, first time running fiber and have some questions. Is there a guide online that anyone would recommend or is it just trial and error? Is there anything unique with this kit that I should look out for when installing fiber? Thanks in advance - really looking forward to lighting this kit! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back