Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

Well I have the original game file--the problem is that it's too low-detail to be used for much other than reference. All the detail is in the texture, and what's there is also very low-res.

If you upload the .smd (or convert it to a .obj for me) I can up-poly it for you. I've had quite a bit of experience with the process (see: Gravity Gun, Tau Cannon, etc.). The view model is probably a better source since they are higher poly, we'll probably have to remodel it but it would be a good starting point.

If you upload the .smd (or convert it to a .obj for me) I can up-poly it for you. I've had quite a bit of experience with the process (see: Gravity Gun, Tau Cannon, etc.). The view model is probably a better source since they are higher poly, we'll probably have to remodel it but it would be a good starting point.

The viewmodel is very differently proportioned than the world model, which is more iconic I think. I was basing it off of that. In fact, there are a lot of differences. I think I have both of them in Maya at home, so I'll upload them when I get there.

Diegator, thanks for the help! I'm also going to ask my brother, who is a really good modeler.

The viewmodel is very differently proportioned than the world model, which is more iconic I think. I was basing it off of that. In fact, there are a lot of differences. I think I have both of them in Maya at home, so I'll upload them when I get there.

That actually doesn't surprise me - the stun baton wasn't introduced into the game until the Deathmatch update like 6 months after the game's release. It was probably totally different people who modeled the world model and the view model.

That's correct. I guess they made the other one shorter so that it would fit in the player's view when they're holding it.

Yeah that's what I'm guessing. Otherwise it's the same dimensions really, I stretched out the body and everything more or less lined up. The portalgun in Portal is like that too, the view model is really stretched out length wise compared to the world model, so you can see it's bits better I guess. Idk, 3D models.

If it were me I would stretch out the view model to match the world model's length and go from there.

Glad you're still working on your suit Rubber Slug. I've been chipping away at mine but I opted to directly buy a few things directly. In the end I don't think I'll look 100% in-game accurate as I am going for a 'realistic' looking Metrocop. But there's a few things I have crafted, including the Armband which actually looks wicked and my own stunstick, which needs some minor tweaking. Perhaps I'll throw some pictures down the road.

In the meantime, I had searched long and hard for some boots that would match the Civil Protection look. The problem is how high the boots are and that style (at least for me) was surprisingly scarce to find despite how someone would figure a "combat boot" would be pretty common. With that in mind, I decided to cheat and find a nice pair of boots that'll do the job. Perhaps you'd like to use them as well, in the event you cannot find better looking boots. So be sure to check on amazon or ebay for example for the keywords:

Demonia Rocky 20 and Demonia Rocky 30 boots.

The 20's are shorter than the 30's so it comes down to a matter of taste, but they look practically identical. Be mindful, as some of them may have "Demonia" stamped on the side of the leather boot. I figured you're one whom is attentive to detail and it may cause a pet peeve to kick in very much like my own. Also if you do get them, be sure to get them one size larger for room and it'll let you lace them up easier at the top. Hopefully your foot wasn't a size 13 like mine when I got my 30's.
rolleyes.png

With that said, keep up the work! Because before you know it, Half Life 3 may be around the corner and I am sure both of us would like to have our suits done -before- the release date is ever announced.
lol.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edit:
Also, you might want to look into the "Airsoft HK USP Two Tone" pistols which are essentially the exact pistol that Civil Protection uses. Shockingly enough, what used to be an abundant airsoft pistol is now becoming scarce. These are often referred to as the "Tomb Raider Two Tone Pistol". The link I'm giving you also has a very cheap but otherwise functional pistol. I believe it has a removable magazine, and what appears as if it may also have a functioning slide and safety mechanism which certainly sweetens the deal.

Even though it may be a spring-fired-cheap-o-airsoft-pistol, the point being is that it has functionality, looks like the exact pistol -and- will work as the perfect prop. I have one of my own, and I am really happy to have it as it really adds to the costume. What else more could you ask?

HFC Tomb Raider Dual Tone Spring Airsoft
Also...
Well Airsoft R4 MP7 AEG

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Re: Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - Mask mold finished! (Page 5)

And if anyone has an idea for how to make this lettering, I'd like to hear it! Should it be embroidered?

Depends how you're going to make it. You could spray paint it on with some kind of enamel paint and stencil it on the back. You can also try and find some pre-made embroidered letters, even if they're white, you can probably buy some dye online and do it like that too. Maybe even go real cheap and use a red sharpie to color the white embroidered letters if you can't find them in red... which just gave me an idea aswell. So thank you for the thought in turn!

Sometimes you have to get creative, even if the means are... truly bootleg. :lol

Afterall, Murphy's Law states: "If it's stupid, and it works, it's not stupid."

EDIT:
By the way, if anyone is looking to start their own costume, I found some perfect green pants at Forever 21 (men's section). I don't know if they're still selling them everywhere but it's worth a look. They're a good price, I think I got mine for around 20 dollars.

Here they are! They look greener in real life, less blue.

Also my recommendation is to look up the following keywords up on Amazon or Ebay:

Spruce Green Stripe, Spruce Green Stripe Pants, Spruce Green Stripe Trousers, Spruce Green Trousers, Spruce Green Pants, Spruce Green Security, Spruce Green Uniform, Spruce Green Industrial, Spruce Green Sentry, Vertical Stripe Pants, Referee Pants, etc.

Essentially what you'll see is security/uniform/industrial pantss. But what drives me up the wall, is that they'll sell the green pants you need, but the stripe will be either black or grey. If you want it in white... perhaps you'll have to contact the manufacturer, like:

Blauer, Elbeco, Horace, Dickies

Hopefully this helps you bud. I know I spent hours toiling the internet in my search. But I feel at least I'm closer to accomplishing my goal.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Update:
This is the closest thing I've found so far: Horace Small Sentry Plus Florida Sheriff Trousers (Men's Grey Stripe)

It's very hard to find off-the-shelf uniform style pants, but this is by far the closest one I have found (just short of looking up black and white Referee pants which are close but they don't do it.) and the 'grey' color almost looks white. Might be able to go along with that, or you may want to contact the seller or manufacturer if they sell them with a white stripe. If not... I suppose at least you have the pants ready, you just need to find a way to bleach/whiten the stripe at most? Simply food for thought, I'll add these as an option to my own list.

If this isn't for you, then I'd recommend to keep looking around. I'll be doing the same. Good luck.

Last edited:
You're right, the pants are strangely hard to find. I've resigned myself to either using tape or some kind of paint to create the stripe myself. And if anyone is wondering, I found perfect gloves for the costume. These are missing the white stripe, but are otherwise exactly perfect.

Having the pants altered with a strip should be very simple, you could use something like bias tape easily enough. The Super Soldiers have a similar thing on their pants and that is how I'm doing it.

Thanks for the tip! I actually like the pants themselves, so I'm not sure if I want to make a permanent white stripe on them. But I'm not quite to that point yet, so it's not urgent.

I gave up on CAD programs and just modeled the head of the stun baton in Maya. I just ordered it from Shapeways!

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2662126/stun-baton-head.html

It'll probably need a little work, but it should fit perfectly onto a PVC pipe I'll be using for the handle. My plan is to paint the ridges on the side with a copper metallic paint to give them the proper look. It'll definitely need some polishing, but I'm excited!

Here's a really terrible photo of the newspaper mockup of the pattern I made for the vest/tunic:

z7rKk8p.jpg

So, Rubber Slug... I've got some news for you that you may like to hear.

I decided to do some additional research on the Metrocop / Civil Protection suit. Turns out that while surfing the web, I stumbled across this fella named "Matson23" who is seemingly doing a mask by hand very much like yourself. You can easily find some of his work by doing a google search specifically using his name. However I felt like showing this to you for incentive and motivation. Shockingly enough, according to the timestamps from the Ink361 website, the fella seems to have been doing this work recently from 6-3 weeks ago from today. I must say... it's quite impressive indeed.

Matson23 seems to have an account at at Deviantart , Ink361 and also Instructables where he seems to give "How To" instructions and directions on how he made his helmets. I think the information he's offering will help greatly.

If you don't have the time to browse all of his awesome pictures of his (apparently own handmade) helmets, here's some direct links for you to view.

Metrocop 1 / Metrocop 2 / Metrocop 3 / Metrocop 4 / Metrocop 5 / Metrocop 6

I hope this helps you feel revitalized in completing your helmet as well. The finished results of his work is... absolutely amazing. But I encourage anyone to take a look at his other work, they are absolutely awesome.

Last edited:
He's beating you to it!
Actually, that looks really awesome! That guys is very talented

Also, I think now would be a good time to post your reference pictures of the metrocop model, to see what you're looking at when you ask for feedback on pants and other construction details.

So, Rubber Slug... I've got some news for you that you may like to hear.

I decided to do some additional research on the Metrocop / Civil Protection suit. Turns out that while surfing the web, I stumbled across this fella named "Matson23" who is seemingly doing a mask by hand very much like yourself. You can easily find some of his work by doing a google search specifically using his name. However I felt like showing this to you for incentive and motivation. Shockingly enough, according to the timestamps from the Ink361 website, the fella seems to have been doing this work recently from 6-3 weeks ago from today. I must say... it's quite impressive indeed.

Matson23 seems to have an account at at Deviantart , Ink361 and also Instructables where he seems to give "How To" instructions and directions on how he made his helmets. I think the information he's offering will help greatly.

If you don't have the time to browse all of his awesome pictures of his (apparently own handmade) helmets, here's some direct links for you to view.

Metrocop 1 / Metrocop 2 / Metrocop 3 / Metrocop 4 / Metrocop 5 / Metrocop 6

I hope this helps you feel revitalized in completing your helmet as well. The finished results of his work is... absolutely amazing. But I encourage anyone to take a look at his other work, they are absolutely awesome.

Wow that's great! The best I've seen, I'd say. He painted the back exactly the way I want to, and he definitely put in a lot of details that others have missed.

Diegator, I actually have posted my reference images (well, most of them) to the gallery under Video Games > Half Life. The gallery is an underrated and underused feature of TheRPF I think!

Last edited:
Hello!
I'm following this post for long because I'm trying to make a Combine Metro Cop cosplay too.
i made with Pepakura the helmet, but it was really smal, so i added paper mache. I thought about to make a mold that i can produce several masks for friend who wants to cosplay with me.
Any ideas?
that's how the shape for the mold looks like till now ^^10708428_10203074938140109_1550929644_n.jpg
regards

In other news, I made the basic vest in muslin! This is a big deal to me because I did it with a sewing machine, making it my first custom "garment." I also established that I can sew through the vinyl I bought for some other parts of the uniform!

6pdLmfJ.jpg

Next up I need to make the other parts of the tunic--or whatever you want to call it--that goes under the vest.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back