Armorsmith - New Costume Design/Building Tool

No problem. It might have some features you can replicate or improve upon. 3D clothing meshes can also be laid out 2D, I surmise this could also be transferred to a 2D cloth pattern.

Thanks for letting me know Isildur. If you have a few minutes do you mind posting or PMing me the last 5 lines in logfile.txt. You can find it in the same folder as the executable.

The build should be working on Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 now. I also added a link to a nightly build that I'll try to upload with a stable build each night.

Excited to try it, downloaded it, tried to run it and get this error.

Untitled.jpg

edit: if anyone else has this error, upgrade your directx to fix it. I had another error afterwards, which was solved by updating microsoft visual C++. Works great now though.

Last edited:
Excited to try it, downloaded it, tried to run it and get this error.

View attachment 483697

edit: if anyone else has this error, upgrade your directx to fix it. I had another error afterwards, which was solved by updating microsoft visual C++. Works great now though.

Thanks! That's right it needs the visual studio 2010 redist and the latest directx. I need to work on getting an installer set up that will automate that. Sometimes that stuff will already be installed from games.

Thanks! That's right it needs the visual studio 2010 redist and the latest directx. I need to work on getting an installer set up that will automate that. Sometimes that stuff will already be installed from games.

It probably would have been on my machine already but I just installed a new hard drive so havent gotten everything setup yet. It worked out in this case though! Thanks for the great software, I look forward to seeing what the future brings.

Im not sure if this is intended, but I did open up a file that was done for foam, it automatically added tabs to it like a paper file would have when I opened it in armorsmith, those tabs arent on the file in pep designer/viewer.

It probably would have been on my machine already but I just installed a new hard drive so havent gotten everything setup yet. It worked out in this case though! Thanks for the great software, I look forward to seeing what the future brings.

Im not sure if this is intended, but I did open up a file that was done for foam, it automatically added tabs to it like a paper file would have when I opened it in armorsmith, those tabs arent on the file in pep designer/viewer.

Thanks! As for the foam file, it's because some foam files have the tabs set up as zero length, and some foam files have a flag in the settings that hides the tabs. I handle the ones with zero length but I haven't hooked up the hide tabs flag yet. It's on my list though. Thanks for the feedback!

As someone who has very little freehand drawing skills but an interest in pattern drafting, I think this has so much potential. I'll be watching this closely.

What we realy need is a simple trim outer edge tool which makes a smooth curve interpolated through the mesh points. Wont show on the mesh, but it will work fine on the 2d pattern.

I got the first implementation for textured PDO's working last night. The textures are set on a per pattern basis right now so it has some bugs if there's multiple textures on a pattern. I also replaced the UI in the lower right corner of the screen with a property grid to make it easier to add new settings per workspace. You can check out the changes in the nightly build.

I'm now working on a super first pass at the mannequin/dummy settings. I'm also working on getting some initial 3d editing tools in, hoping to get in at least translation of verts/edges/faces for this months alpha build.

Here's a couple screenshots of the Hulkbuster armor inside the tool, thought it was a good model to showcase the texturing.

11289393_427974617382196_7438112642349990001_o.jpg10623576_427974614048863_3225609577305425078_o.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion on the edge smoothing for the patterns Simonkage, that'd be a great feature that could layer on top of the patterns.

A couple of new screenshots from my Armorsmith build. I'm aiming to have the next alpha release on the 26th.

Capture14.jpg

In the first screenshot, showing off the first pass at mesh editing. I've got vertex, edge, and face selection with a translate tool using a 3 axis gizmo. Right now the gizmo is just 3 boxes for each of the axis. I also need to keep the sizing of the gizmo in screenspace.

capture15.jpg

In the second screenshot, I've got a few pieces of the Master chief, a notoriously difficult costume to get scaled right. You can really see the difference in the size of the parts at their default scales. I have a first pass at just the dummy height scaling working, no limb scaling yet. I'm hoping to get part mounting on the dummy for next week's Alpha build though.

I released another updated alpha build over the weekend.

The big addition to the tool is the dummy that you can attach costume parts to. Now you can select a bone or joint on the dummy and attach a costume part to it. This way you can see exactly what your assembled costume will look like and how the parts need to be scaled. Currently only the dummy's height can be adjusted but I will be adding more controls in the future.

I also fleshed out my pdo loading code a bit more thanks to some additional specs I received from user Imkold on here.

Check out the latest build here:
https://dl.orangedox.com/BGppuZp31xwJLeqiaT/Armorsmith_Alpha_0_2_4.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like it could definitely be a valuable tool very soon!

This is an incredible contribution to the community, so thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I released another alpha build of Armorsmith last Friday.

For anyone who hasn't seen this tool before it's essentially a replacement for pepakura geared more towards building costumes. There were some big changes in this new release. I moved a lot of the tools to a circular menu that's accessed via right click when anythings selected. It tailors the menu to the tools available for the current selection. Another big change was the addition of an installer. There were a few hiccups getting this working over the weekend but I think all the bumps have been ironed out.

Here's a list of some of the changes from the new release:
*Huge UI overhaul
*Deleting of attachments
*Saveing of attached parts.
*FIx a bug with zoom all not working properly.
*Get rid of a lot of the auto zooming, found it annoying in practice.
*Add a title bar to the property grid.
*Save margin settings.
*Allow importing of multiple files.
*FInished up the installer.
*Add undo/redo for translation and rotation of attached parts.
*Added context menu on right click
*Removed right click camera controls

I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have about the latest release.

11703072_447513635428294_3857207997656113359_n.jpg

https://dl.orangedox.com/yBMUf1HK2eyrNAwmUY/armorsmith_0_4_0_setup.exe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back