DIY Back to the Future 2 Jacket

MitasTouch

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my BTTF 2 jacket that I made from a few simple materials. But even though the materials were simple does not mean it was simple to piece together. Far from that. Anyway, here is the entire project.

First came the red mats. This was the hardest and most aggravating part.
P033112_1054.jpg

P040212_0636.jpg

Then the pockets. I couldn't find any dark grey foam, so I had to go with black.
P040612_1012.jpg

P040612_1013.jpg

When you wear the jacket it goes to the right shape. It looks weird when you set it down. Also the color is lighter and matches the color from the movie almost perfectly.
DSC00103.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

Then came the electronics. I just used cheap recordable greeting card sound chips. I don't have any pictures of the full assembly of the sound chips with the piece of the belt attached to it, but I do have a video.
Back to the Future Jacket - YouTube
I installed the speakers on the inside of the jacket and I had to cut a hole through the jacket for the button and wire to run through.
DSC00120.jpg

I also had to cut a slit on the bottom for the second button to fit through so it can be raised up enough.
DSC00121.jpg

And this is me wearing the jacket along with the hat.
P040612_1420.jpg

If someone finds some dark grey foam that matches the jacket color on the internet could you link me to it? I'm going to start making jackets for sale and I need the right color because I ended up using black because I just could not find the right color.

I didn't get in on the run so, I also went ahead and bought one of these jackets off walmart.com. I think this is an awesome creative alternative. I'll be keeping an eye on this for more ideas on some DIY for a great 2015 jacket.

I didn't get in on the run so, I also went ahead and bought one of these jackets off walmart.com. I think this is an awesome creative alternative. I'll be keeping an eye on this for more ideas on some DIY for a great 2015 jacket.

The other alternative is that really expensive jacket on ebay. I think mine is more accurate even without actual accordion arms. Good luck on you jacket and feel free to ask me any questions. I'd be happy to answer them.

That's awesome! Might have to give it a go myself. I've always wanted this jacket but never could justify the price.

For a budget build this is a really good job.

That's awesome! Might have to give it a go myself. I've always wanted this jacket but never could justify the price.

For a budget build this is a really good job.

I do have a run of these coming up. If a person decides not to go ahead and buy one I can give you a heads up if you want. Stop by on my interest thread to get more info.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back