Tamiya Tape over aluminum plate metalizer problem

youngwm

Hi,

Having some issues with aluminum plate metalizer model master paint pulling when trying to mask with Tamiya tape. The paint has had about 48 hours of dry time and is sticking. If I hit the painted area with a little pledge/future and let dry for 48 hours will that help?

Any response would be helpful I feel that using liquid mask would be a real pain for this area and not sure if the Sol (brand) liquid mask will do the same.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I've spent years looking for a solution to this very problem, without success. Testors Metalizer seems to be very sensitive to humidity. Even when I can successfully mask over the Metalizer with no tape lift, I've never been happy with the paint results. It just doesn't like to be taped or over-sprayed, in my experience. I never use it on multicolored parts anymore.

If that doesn't help - I don't know how large that part is, you can try using the modellers aluminium shiny foil they use to mimick auto parts like bumpers and chromed applications. Maybe you'll get better results with it than a paint.

I have a lot of experience with metalizers and can tell you that most tapes will pull the paint off . Solutions include masking areas to be "metallic", painting non-metallic areas first then masking painted area and spraying metalizer and buffing before removing masking. To tell the truth, MM Metalizer is by far the hardest to use of all the 'metal' paints out there and I would recommend the Alclad system or any other system for that matter. The only 'masking' materials I've had success with has been dampened tissue and ultra low tack post it notes; Fine Scale Modeler Magazine has done a lot of articles on scale metal finishes and the available options, so give that a look.

OK try this: look for a product called Parafilm-m. It's actually a sealant for medicine bottles, but if you stretch it and burnish it down, it acts like masking tape. Best of all there is no adhesive involved. You can find it on Amazon, but a well stocked hobby shop should have it as a Testor's paint product. It take a bit of getting used to, but when you do it works great.

I'd definitely recommend Alclad, it's possible to mask over that with Tamiya tape with no lifting. You need good ventilation to spray it though!

Will

Thanks for all the suggestions and advise on this. I will check out the film for future projects that involve this type of paint I have several bottles of MM metalizer. My LHS seems to cater to MM or Tamiya and Tamiya does not seem to have a real variety of this type of paint in bottles. While at work today I thought of the post-it note idea and before I started work again on this project I sat down and checked the forum and eze38 pretty much gave me the reassurance to give the post it note a shot. Nothing like talking about something with no pics so here is how it turned out.

chariottop3_zps6f46e007.jpg

Small blemish, but after fighting with this I am happy with the results. Another pic with the entire part I have been working with. Quite embarrassing but I made a mistake with my first attempt at painting this part and Moebius was kind enough to ship me another basically at the cost of shipping. What I did on the first glass dome while painting was prime the inside while the orange color is suppose to shine through so it was a big goof on my part the inside was orange but when you looked though the top you saw the primer... oh well then this one came after a lot of masking inside and out.. lots of tedious cutting and taping I had the MM metal plate paint start to peel I used aluminum paint from MM the first time around and did not have the problem at all. Anyways thanks!

chariottop4_zpscfdabf6e.jpg

And a pic of my first one with my mistake of priming the inside then painting the orange.

SAM_1883_zpsd8959fb6.jpg

Changing the subject a bit but any suggestions on how to future something this size. I usually dip clear plastic and then drip over a paper towel but this is pretty big I was thinking of brushing future/pledge on the clear area's. Any thoughts? I read in a fine scale article where a guy brushed an entire car with future with great results.

Thanks Will have heard so many good things about Alclad will have to find a dealer for future builds.

Thanks again for the great tips.

Mike

Last edited:
propninja:
Parafilm is great, never thought of that use. You normally use it to seal beakers, measuring cups and microbiological sample petri dishes in the lab. But for the modelling hobby it's too expensive. There are Revell Masking Sheets with similar properties.
youngwm:
Mike, after looking at your van, I would have taken the suggested modellers aluminium foil for car applications and cut some stripes for the larger sides and then smaller thinner ones with an exacto for the rims. I'd further use Q-Tip to carefully add it to the conture to stick it and then use the exacto to cut the excess away (the foils is very thin, so you won't use much force leaving the clear parts intact).

OK try this: look for a product called Parafilm-m. It's actually a sealant for medicine bottles, but if you stretch it and burnish it down, it acts like masking tape. Best of all there is no adhesive involved. You can find it on Amazon, but a well stocked hobby shop should have it as a Testor's paint product. It take a bit of getting used to, but when you do it works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, after looking at your van, I would have taken the suggested modellers aluminium foil for car applications and cut some stripes for the larger sides and then smaller thinner ones with an exacto for the rims. I'd further use Q-Tip to carefully add it to the conture to stick it and then use the exacto to cut the excess away (the foils is very thin, so you won't use much force leaving the clear parts intact).

Thanks YenChih Lin, but this is the Moebius Chariet model from the 60's show, "lost in space" The top panels were painted with MM aluminum plate and the rest of the panels will remain clear the top is pretty much finished as far as the painting goes. I am going to hand paint a little for the center part which is grey. Once all other parts are installed I will spray with Future and hope for the turn plastic into a more realistic glass.
I will check into the Parafilm though for upcoming builds.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back