Myst/Riven replicas - do they exist?

Patattack

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A while ago, I found in my old computer room a Myst and Riven boxed set, from the late-ish 90s. Inside, among other things, I found an ad from Museum Replicas, saying they were reproducing a number of items from Riven:
http://homepage.mac.com/dansound/.Pictures/MRED/artifacts.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dansound/.Pictures/MRED/artifactsflip.jpg

I've done a bit of looking around, and I can find barely anything on these. There's no mention of anything on the Museum Replicas website. On one Myst-themed message board, there were three people who had actually purchased some of this stuff - each one had a different item. My guess is that they were all made in fairly limited quantities. Does anyone here own any of these, or know somebody who does?

Also, I would love to have a replica of the Myst linking book:
book_myst.JPG

A while ago, I found in my old computer room a Myst and Riven boxed set, from the late-ish 90s. Inside, among other things, I found an ad from Museum Replicas, saying they were reproducing a number of items from Riven:
http://homepage.mac.com/dansound/.Pictures/MRED/artifacts.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dansound/.Pictures/MRED/artifactsflip.jpg

I've done a bit of looking around, and I can find barely anything on these. There's no mention of anything on the Museum Replicas website. On one Myst-themed message board, there were three people who had actually purchased some of this stuff - each one had a different item. My guess is that they were all made in fairly limited quantities. Does anyone here own any of these, or know somebody who does?

Also, I would love to have a replica of the Myst linking book:
book_myst.JPG

They were limited. I loved Riven for the fully realized world they made (down to an educational system) and have looked for stuff too.

I know that some of the Museum Replicas stuff was on TV too. Specifically the weird sickle/hand-scythe thing was one of the wall-mounted but never-used weapons in the Buffy training arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3otn17bsUyo

You can see it right in the beginning of this fan vid.^^^

Last edited:
They were limited. I loved Riven for the fully realized world they made (down to an educational system) and have looked for stuff too.

I know that some of the Museum Replicas stuff was on TV too. Specifically the weird sickle/hand-scythe thing was one of the wall-mounted but never-used weapons in the Buffy training arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3otn17bsUyo

You can see it right in the beginning of this fan vid.^^^

That's pretty neat! To be honest, what interests me the most from an ownership perspective is the simple Moiety knife. All the rest of the stuff was pretty expensive when it came out - which means now, with its rarity, it would probably be mind-boggling. The knives, though...they were just $20, really simply made but pretty cool-looking nonetheless. Also probably the most easily re-created at this point. :)

I liked the dagger and sickle best, with the sickle taking the lead.

The one item I never thought about purchasing (I don't have the game anymore, but I remember the ad being included in the box) were the bolos. I can braid my own leather straps, thank you very much.:lol

Wow I'm excited to hear that other people are interested in Riven and Myst! I love the style of the artifacts in the Riven game, and have actually made some replicas of Gehn's leather and brass linking books. Only one of them really came out well, I can try to dig up the pics I took of it a while ago if anyone is interested in seeing it. I don't know if I have the pics on my laptop here in Italy or on my old computer back home in PA. I will check. As far as the Myst style linking book goes, that just looks like a very worn old leather bound/marbled paper book--it wouldn't be too difficult to make.

Wow I'm excited to hear that other people are interested in Riven and Myst!

I'm excited that you're all talking about Myst and Riven and not the other drivel that followed! :D

I never purchased any of the replicas. But I do have a pewter squee from the collector's edition of Exile, all 3 books, and Pyst which a friend finally got for me (I refused to spend the money!)

I found the books tedious (too much minute detail for my taste) but I liked the stories and the background information they provided. I may even have a couple of them in paperback I can part with if anyone's interested. I'd have to check.

-None of this helps you with your diary of course. I'm just happy to see a thread on this :)

Bump for this thread. Today I mark the one year anniversary of me losing 3 Riven moiety daggers, the Sickle and Gehn's dagger in one auction on ebay. I actually won it but thru a series of bad circumstances the seller offered them to the next highest bidder. It took me 12 years to find a set like that together, guess I'll have to wait another 12 years . . . unless someone on this forum makes replicas or offers theirs up in the Junkyard. Anyone here more CRAZY than me who wants to give them up?:confused

The MYST linking book is on my to-do list and after a bit of hunting on youtube, it seems there are at least a couple people who've tackled this with spectacular results - moving linking panel and all. Don't have the links handy tho...sorry. Definitely worth a look if you can track them down!

Anyway, I thought it'd be cool to create two MYST books - one with the moving panel, and another with a static glowing panel and the sketches and narrative of the old hint book reproduced inside. :love

One of these days.

I still play Riven on my old playstation. The artwork, sound, graphics are
incredible. Even better, not that I have a LCD flatscreen TV!

And it would be a goldmine for cool prop gizmos, like the cable cars, or
the railroad submarine, of the 3D map console thing on the wrecked island.

I agree; those games created an amazing world and atmosphere, and evoke some vivid memories from my childhood. Still remember charging down the cliff staircase to see if i could get down to the big sea creatures before they swam away. Didn't quite get how the coding worked there. =)

I hadn't been familiar with the retailed props, but the game would indeed be wonderful subject matter for prop making. A linking book iphone accessory could be brilliant.

I'm also imagining some of the gruesome accoutrements from Achenar's bedroom come to mind-- the torso lamp or the little hologram lamp that changes a rose to a skull.

Hi all! Just got two of these! One for my fiancee and one for me! These are replicas of replicas made by, erm Museum Replicas! A great guy by the handle MystRiven got this run together with Cyan's permission on a different forum. I framed this one and it attaches with a magnet. One down, four to go!

i-c5drrT5-M.jpg

Hi all! Just got two of these! One for my fiancee and one for me! These are replicas of replicas made by, erm Museum Replicas! A great guy by the handle MystRiven got this run together with Cyan's permission on a different forum. I framed this one and it attaches with a magnet. One down, four to go!

i-c5drrT5-M.jpg

Oh snap! Looks great. :) Do you have any contact information for this MystRiven character? Does he have plans/permission to replicate any of the other long-gone Museum Replicas items?

I'm also a huge Myst/Riven fan (Riven being my favorite of the entire series), but never gave much thought to props. I knew about the catalog that came with the game, but that was when I was a kid and had no money to spend on them. I'd love to make some of them, especially the Moiety dagger. Anybody else have any links or references for Myst props?

(why didn't I have an account on here, I thought I registered years ago...? o_O )

Hi there! That would be my Myst book. The information on those pages is a little sparse because most people don't care about that stuff, but because this forum is one of the few places that will care about its construction details... ;)

The book is a copy of the same one Cyan Worlds used as a texture reference when making the game, except mine's in almost-perfect condition whereas Cyan's copy is heavily worn. It was sourced from eBay after around 5 years of searching (I've counted at least 14 different bindings of the same book). Finding a specific issue is difficult, but at any point in time there's a dozen or more copies of the earlier/later issues on eBay that look very similar if anyone else wants to try building a Myst book replica.

Inside is an Intel Atom-based mini-ITX board with an Intel integrated GPU, which has enough grunt to play Half-Life 2 at 30fps+. Data is loaded from a 32GB CompactFlash card. The battery is a LiPo battery designed for RC planes. The power supply is from a CarPC (the battery's 11.1V is just like a car's 12V under load). Power consumption was minimised wherever possible & I swapped a couple of the components on the boards with higher-efficiency versions, and the waste heat just passively conducts through the book. The LCD was an industrial unit I sourced as the raw panel & controller board, and the touch screen was custom-ordered from China to perfectly match the LCD's dimensions.

I wasn't intending to make this album public, but just for you folks, you can see some build photos at https://plus.google.com/photos/110879136591482275531/albums/5758296266854352801 :)

Last edited:
Brilliant! Thank you for sharing the link. This is most excellent!

(why didn't I have an account on here, I thought I registered years ago...? o_O )

Hi there! That would be my Myst book. The information on those pages is a little sparse because most people don't care about that stuff, but because this forum is one of the few places that will care about its construction details... ;)

The book is a copy of the same one Cyan Worlds used as a prop when making the game, except it's in almost-perfect condition whereas Cyan's copy is heavily worn. It was sourced from eBay after around 5 years of searching (there's many different bindings of the exact same book). Finding a specific issue is difficult, but at any point in time there's a dozen or more copies of the earlier/later issues on eBay that look very similar if anyone else wants to try building one.

Inside is an Intel Atom-based mini-ITX board with an Intel integrated GPU, which has enough power to play Half-Life 2 at 30fps+. Data is loaded from a 32GB CompactFlash card. The battery is a LiPo battery designed for RC planes. The power supply is from a CarPC (the battery's 11.1V is just like a car's 12V under load). Power consumption was minimised wherever possible & I swapped a couple of the components on the boards with higher-efficiency versions, and the waste heat just passively conducts through the book. The LCD was an industrial unit I sourced as the raw panel & controller board, and the touch screen was custom-ordered from China to perfectly match the LCD's dimensions.

I wasn't intending to make this album public, but you can see some build photos at https://plus.google.com/photos/110879136591482275531/albums/5758296266854352801 :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back