I Managed a Second Hand Prodigal Son (Formerly: Saberforge Questions)

Re: Saberforge Questions

I also have a PS. It's pretty and decently machined. I lightly hit the back of my couch with it and the neck broke. I have since JB Welded it back together, and so far so good. I also had the copper bars on the activation box fall off, and they are sharp on the edges. Supposedly newer ones are not sharp. Thin neck sabers usually aren't good for dueling so save this one for show. I can't speak to any other of his products . Didn't have any customer service issues personally.
Don Mac.

Didn't really have any issues,with my Prodigal Son except for the bars on the activation box falling off. Got the saber from them in a week. As far as customer service, dealing with India was a pleasure. Never really dealt with Tom.
IMG_0080.JPGIMG_0079.JPG

I just looked at their website. They claim that their thin neck sabers are strong enough to withstand full speed, full contact dueling against not only other saber blades but bokken among other things. What a crock of ****. And people will still give this crook money. Unbelievable.

I have had a prodigal son in hand, lets describe it as a half empty hilt, the guy sent it to me so I made mods for electronics installations.
I made the very first fx conversion on a Russrep V2 lightsaber for same customer, and he sent me the prodigal son to see what miracle I could do.
The finish was far from best all the greeblies were indeed greeblies, I mean, stuck: triangles, button, etc. rough finish with a average shape, a large hole for a switch or chargeport on the side, and the led and optics were stuck with cyano, as the grid on the pommel for soundholes, stuck with two rubber O rings.
Regarding accuracy, not good for me, regarding quality, not that good.
I don't bother about the guy himself, but he is described like the "screwdriver maker," don't remember his name, insulting people and threatening (true story for the srewdriver guy), so if many say he is not a good guy, I can only trust them.

Regarding the products, I think on your price range, I can only tell you to buy from Randy( Korbanth-sith planet) this guy is a good guy, and the products are good overall, some accuracy issues, especially on older stuff, due to parks technology, but some good hilts from several years now, and since he started the 2.0 lines, very interesting improvements, especially for a 200-300$ price range.
Also made some difficult sabers, dooku, sidious, crossguard etc, and always in a good price range, not fully accurate, but really worth for the price.

What is funny is most of SF and US customers are cosplayers practicing duelling, and they buy from the wrong companies.
lots of issues with electronics on US, sharp edges and metal weakness on SF sabers, but they still continue to buy them.

Last edited:

I just looked at their website. They claim that their thin neck sabers are strong enough to withstand full speed, full contact dueling against not only other saber blades but bokken among other things. What a crock of ****. And people will still give this crook money. Unbelievable.
Truth be known, I wouldn't use any thin neck lightsaber for any full speed dueling. They are all too expensive and the wait times to get one seem like an eternity.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah ok. I sometimes forget Phil has minions, lol.
Never dealt with Phil and don't really know Tom. But India was pleasant to deal with.

That's my point exactly. No thin neck saber can withstand any kind of heavy dueling, but to say that it can, and against bokken no less is a bold faced lie. Newbs who come into the hobby are going to get ripped off. Saberforge is to lightsabers what jrzjoe is to whips. (For any Indiana Jones fans/ whip collectors)

That's my point exactly. No thin neck saber can withstand any kind of heavy dueling, but to say that it can, and against bokken no less is a bold faced lie. Newbs who come into the hobby are going to get ripped off. Saberforge is to lightsabers what jrzjoe is to whips. (For any Indiana Jones fans/ whip collectors)
With the cost and wait to get a Vader's Vault or Saberforge Prodigal Son, I really just don't see why people would risk dueling with thin neck sabers. All it takes is one good whack, and snap.....off with the emitter.

That aside, you CAN make thinner neck lightsabers that can be dueled with. I will be making LED sabers for my own collection that will have 1 Inch outer diameter necks (at the smallest diameter on the hilt) and they will be able to withstand moderate to heavy dueling. So it can be done and I know because I've done it before. That being said, the smaller diameter the neck, the more prone it is to bend, fold, or break clean off. It's simple physics. So anyone looking to duel with their Saberforge thin neck saber will be in for a nasty surprise when they believe the lie they've been sold that it's strong enough to take that kind of abuse.

While we're on the topic of blades let me just say there are a few factors that will determine if it's a good blade for dueling.

1. Blade matching:

The key to making your sabers to be able to take a beating is to match like blade to like blade. You wouldn't duel with a thin walled 3/4 O.D. blade against a 1 inch thick walled blade, for example and you CERTAINLY wouldn't used a heavy wooden bokken against ANY polycarbonate lightsaber blade. That's just ridiculous. Even actual swords were not designed to be smashed against one another wildly with no concern for technique and a swordsman worth his salt would never in their right mind hit their precious blade against a tree or telephone pole to test its durability. That's just plain stupid.

2. Nothing is unbreakable:

If you use a tool for a purpose it was not intended for it may be able to do the job, it doesn't mean that it will do it well. I mean even riot shields that are made of polycarbonate can shatter under extreme stress. The purpose is to protect the person holding it, not be unbreakable. So when a sabersmith tells you that their blades are far superior to others because they hit a competitor's blade against a rock and the tube dents, it doesn't always mean it's an inferior product.

3. Rigitidy:

Like many people uneducated about actual functional swords, everyone is obsessed with rigidity but the truth of the matter is the harder a blade is, the more likely it is to shatter. That's why even thick walled blades can and do when under constant strain. Real swords, and lightsaber blades for that matter also need some flexibilty to be able to absorb a hit. That's why swords are tempered during the forging process to allow them to immediately spring back into shape if bent during combat. Granted, lightsaber blades for our purposes are round and if a real sword were to make contact with another sword blade it would be flat meeting edge, but the same principle applies to lightsabers. So a thick walled blade isn't always the best blade for dueling.

"Trust your instincts luke"
I would look in to Korbanths run on his LS6, similar product and has some awesome features. Its opening for orders in Feb. Hes almost finished his current run here http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=270552

1 Korbanth supplies a great product a at a similar price, good after sales and a good guy.
Pic is Korbanths LS6 render with reveal sections (from FX sabers)
https://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/pro...Kio.jpg&hash=f1009c8452593b2715c0dc74a93bef15

I would also reccomend reaching out to Korbanth. Awesome guy. Really great hilts. I messaged him a while back when I was in the market for a graflex saber and had a hilt in my hand less than two weeks later. The quality is outstanding. I will definitely be buying more from him down the road

BS. Most are clever enough to stay away from scum.
Just like you can realize jumping off a building might be a bad idea if you value your life. You know, without actually jumping off a building.

Proven right here... Never ordered from the company, yet trusts the word of some random person who had a bad experience. do the math thousands of sabers sold dozens of bad reviews. there are also hundreds of happy customers. These customers are the reason this company is still open.. Phil has never given me and issue, the few times I dealt with CSR`s I never had any issue. Never dealt with Emory`s csr as the saber I bought was a 1 piece no sound stunt set up. but they are exactly as he states they are. so no real complaint there. If I Order again I`d probably try a new shop, bought saber forge bought Ultrasabers.

Why would you even have a Bokken in a lightsaber duel? then call people newbs lol.. I have a Bokken its a wooden practice sword for people learning to use a real metal sword. the fact you just claimed that anyone would bring a Wooden Blade to duel against a poly =/ NEWB!!

Proven right here... Never ordered from the company, yet trusts the word of some random person who had a bad experience. do the math thousands of sabers sold dozens of bad reviews. there are also hundreds of happy customers. These customers are the reason this company is still open.. Phil has never given me and issue, the few times I dealt with CSR`s I never had any issue. Never dealt with Emory`s csr as the saber I bought was a 1 piece no sound stunt set up. but they are exactly as he states they are. so no real complaint there. If I Order again I`d probably try a new shop, bought saber forge bought Ultrasabers.

Proven what? There are plenty of people dumb enough to buy from all sorts of notorious scum... look up Peter Popoff. Doesn't prove anything.
"There's a sucker born every minute"

Also not every person who jumps off a building dies.... clearly not every person gets ripped off.

Why would you even have a Bokken in a lightsaber duel? then call people newbs lol.. I have a Bokken its a wooden practice sword for people learning to use a real metal sword. the fact you just claimed that anyone would bring a Wooden Blade to duel against a poly =/ NEWB!!

I know what a Bokken is, I was just stating the absurdity of a claim that Saberforge makes on his website about the durability of his blades and trust me, I'm no newb. I was one of the pioneers of Luxeon saber technology and have been in the hobby for many many years. In fact I was building LED sabers in 2002 which was six years before Saberforge even existed.

Last edited:

Oh man, I had a jrzjoe whip. Luckily it wasn't a lot of money.

Yeah I owned one years ago when I first got seriously into whip cracking and collecting. What a piece of garbage. Lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back