Ghost in the Shell

I saw the anime WAY back... and don't remember it at all. But this looks cool to me.

I don't get why I keep reading comparisons to Aeon Flux... I never saw Aeon Flux cuz it looked crappy, and if this looked like that, I probably would have zero interest.

My problem is getting past Scar Jo... and for the weirdest reason. Scar Jo is like the show "Frasier"... whenever I saw Frasier was on I'd go "eh... bah" and change the channel. But if I actually watched it, I would ALWAYS find it really funny.

Scar Jo is the same... I like her in EVERYTHING. I'm always "I'm surprised I liked Johansen so much in this!"

But then every time she appears in a movie I'm like "eh... her? pass".

It's weird.

One thing is for sure. Pulling off this cosplay is going to be quite a challenge.

gits.jpg

Soulinertia
Comparing the TOC that was on set in the BTS vid and the end product on film, I guess it's heavily CG'd. You coudn't archive this with a suite alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
While other movies might have turned the suit into a digital effect by putting Johansson's face on a digital character or digital doubles, Weta and the costume designers used prosthetics to keep things practical. Using Swanson and Mueller's design, Weta built a full-silicon suit for Johansson by taking digital scans of her body and creating a design for an outfit that would mirror her silhouette.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11...made-scarlett-johanssons-nude-thermoptic-suit

There's probably still a bunch of CGI on it though.

One minor gripe about Japanese action films.
There seems to be a convention in Japanese films where, between the action pieces, are long dialogue-heavy sequences taking place in government committee meetings where the exposition is largely superfluous. I guess Japanese audiences can relate more to the backdrop of bureaucracy-laden government than Western audiences do. Those scenes can really tax my attention span.

This is all that I there was during the new Godzilla. I wanted to walk out. And not ever seeing the original of this, I think it looks kind of cool. I dont mind the scarjo casting, cause honestly, I dont think there are many good japanese actors out there. Im not a big anime fan, I have only seen a few, and NONE of the women look japanese in the ones I have seen, except for maybe their attire. I dont get the hubub over all this. I know this forum is for nerds, but man YenChih Lin is going to have a coronary over here regarding the casting, and the themes etc. Hollywood has butchered everything else recently, so why not anime? And knowing that 2027 is only 10 years away, do you really think all those themes you mentioned are that prevelant now? I read through most of this thread and you got pretty worked up about it.

Edit: I know Ill get crap for this, but still. Its an anime getting the live action treatment. You think people would be stoked that its getting any attention for western audiences as it is. Because, newsflash, Anime is still pretty freaking weird to most people that arent in that realm of nerd.

Oh believe me, it is amazing to see this even happening. There have been rumors about a GITS movie since the 90's. It was the first anime movie I ever saw (along with X:1999).

This is all that I there was during the new Godzilla. I wanted to walk out. And not ever seeing the original of this, I think it looks kind of cool. I dont mind the scarjo casting, cause honestly, I dont think there are many good japanese actors out there. Im not a big anime fan, I have only seen a few, and NONE of the women look japanese in the ones I have seen, except for maybe their attire. I dont get the hubub over all this. I know this forum is for nerds, but man @YenChih Lin is going to have a coronary over here regarding the casting, and the themes etc. Hollywood has butchered everything else recently, so why not anime? And knowing that 2027 is only 10 years away, do you really think all those themes you mentioned are that prevelant now? I read through most of this thread and you got pretty worked up about it.

Edit: I know Ill get crap for this, but still. Its an anime getting the live action treatment. You think people would be stoked that its getting any attention for western audiences as it is. Because, newsflash, Anime is still pretty freaking weird to most people that arent in that realm of nerd.
I have no problem with ScarJo being white. I'm just worried about her performance. I think she actually looks right for the part. It really rests on the strength of her performance - is she going to be Motoko or is she going to be BlackWidowLucy?

I don't think anime is weird for most people, 20 years of exposure to anime since Akira and Dragonball should give even the uninitiated a rough idea of the look.

Well, I don't totally have a coronary Snikt :D but I groan at the core deviation of the source material, GitS is truely an asian philosophical point of view about the soul, and if the body is replaced (shell) and just the brain left intact (ghost), with all it's personality traits and experiences, where does the human and its humanity end and where does the machine begin (Shinto religious assumption that everything has a soul)? Am I me, even if I have another cybernetic suite with a total different appearance? And if machines becomes self aware (project 2501), does it understand its own nature and can it evolve beyond it to understand the essences of being human? (merging with the Major). What do I become, if I could access the internet directly via the neck plug interface? Do I grow beyond the individual existance with the contribution of others in the vast sea of information?

That complex question is set aside for a more accessible, simpler, easier approach of identity finding, stolen identity and the search for its own past. Which is surely done more than in one or another form.

I think, they are playing safe, because though I liked the Final Fantasy Movie then, the themes discussed there, left a lot of viewers puzzled then. Oh well…

This is all that I there was during the new Godzilla. I wanted to walk out. And not ever seeing the original of this, I think it looks kind of cool. I dont mind the scarjo casting, cause honestly, I dont think there are many good japanese actors out there. Im not a big anime fan, I have only seen a few, and NONE of the women look japanese in the ones I have seen, except for maybe their attire. I dont get the hubub over all this. I know this forum is for nerds, but man @YenChih Lin is going to have a coronary over here regarding the casting, and the themes etc. Hollywood has butchered everything else recently, so why not anime? And knowing that 2027 is only 10 years away, do you really think all those themes you mentioned are that prevelant now? I read through most of this thread and you got pretty worked up about it.

I don't think anime is weird for most people, 20 years of exposure to anime since Akira and Dragonball should give even the uninitiated a rough idea of the look.

Well, I don't totally have a coronary @Snikt :D but I groan at the core deviation of the source material, GitS is truely an asian philosophical point of view about the soul, and if the body is replaced (shell) and just the brain left intact (ghost), with all it's personality traits and experiences, where does the human and its humanity end and where does the machine begin (Shinto religious assumption that everything has a soul)? Am I me, even if I have another cybernetic suite with a total different appearance? And if machines becomes self aware (project 2501), does it understand its own nature and can it evolve beyond it to understand the essences of being human? (merging with the Major). What do I become, if I could access the internet directly via the neck plug interface? Do I grow beyond the individual existance with the contribution of others in the vast sea of information?

That complex question is set aside for a more accessible, simpler, easier approach of identity finding, stolen identity and the search for its own past. Which is surely done more than in one or another form.

I think, they are playing safe, because though I liked the Final Fantasy Movie then, the themes discussed there, left a lot of viewers puzzled then. Oh well…

Maybe for the circle of people you hang out with, but I would disagree with you on that one. I think people are familiar with it as a whole, like they know "oh hey those are those crazy japanese cartoons" but I dont think its as mainstream as you think. Im betting the movie studios are banking on the fact that most people seeing this wont know its adapted from an old cartoon from Japan.

Good! I would hate to find out you were hyperventilating over this movie or something. ;) Like you said, thats been done before, and you still have the original anime to fall back on. Thats what people keep telling me when the butcher one of my favorite movies. "It doesnt change the original so you always have that. Calm down nerd." Now, not having seen the anime, what you described sounds exactly like the themes in the original Robocop. Which is my favorite movie. :D

So whats so great about this anime, regarding japanese philosophies that you fear cant be translated? What makes the themes you provided exclusive to just "asian" interpretation to where its truly Ghost in the Shell, and not just some other movie?

Well, I don't totally have a coronary @Snikt :D but I groan at the core deviation of the source material, GitS is truely an asian philosophical point of view about the soul, and if the body is replaced (shell) and just the brain left intact (ghost), with all it's personality traits and experiences, where does the human and its humanity end and where does the machine begin (Shinto religious assumption that everything has a soul)? Am I me, even if I have another cybernetic suite with a total different appearance? And if machines becomes self aware (project 2501), does it understand its own nature and can it evolve beyond it to understand the essences of being human? (merging with the Major). What do I become, if I could access the internet directly via the neck plug interface? Do I grow beyond the individual existance with the contribution of others in the vast sea of information?

Actually from the interviews I've read and watched it sounds like they will at least be touching on some of those important themes. I don't think its GITS without some of those questions. I don't think the people behind this movie are clueless about that. Sure, it will be dumbed down a bit for mainstream but I don't think they are abandoning those themes entirely.

Oh, and this is straight out of the original, so amazing.

One thing that is particularly bothering me about this movie is that, based on the trailers, they're calling the Major simply Major, like her name is Major. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Major just her rank and not her name? Her name is Motoko Kusanagi, so why is she being called Major then?

To avoid the white washing fact, that her name IS Motoko Kusanagi? :D I can't think of another reason to conceal the fact by just adressing her by her rank.

One thing that is particularly bothering me about this movie is that, based on the trailers, they're calling the Major simply Major, like her name is Major. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Major just her rank and not her name? Her name is Motoko Kusanagi, so why is she being called Major then?

I thought they've called her Major on numerous occasions.

Also, how many people are still complaining about Scar Jo's race after it's been stated Motoko chose a European looking body intentionally?

Everything is looking really good now! I agree the bread weapon looks whack, maybe it's made organically and or something ridiculous.

To avoid the white washing fact, that her name IS Motoko Kusanagi? :D I can't think of another reason to conceal the fact by just adressing her by her rank.

It's not that they're addressing by her rank that bothers me, it's that they're using her rank as a name that does. In the trailer, before she takes her dive off the building, ScarJoe says something and addresses herself as Major, not the Major, not Major Kusanagi (or any other name), but just Major like it's her name, that's what bothers me.

In the 1995 movie they refer to her just as "Major" on multiple occasions like its her name.

I started re-watching S.A.C. today and in the first episode they keep calling her Major as if its her name.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back