Dragoncon 2016

"What was it that made you and enticed you to attend Dragoncon your very first time"?

I grew up with geek parents. First-generation Trekkies. I was a well-behaved toddler/kid, so they had no problem taking me to movies with them. I saw Star Wars when I was 2, I saw Superman, I saw Chariots of Fire, and so on and so on. They also read to me and encouraged me to do it, myself. Taught me research methodology... So by the time I hit high school, I was aware of these things called conventions that had been going on for some time. I'd seen and heard stories from various WorldCons over the years -- shenanigans and exploits of folks like Asimov and Heinlein and Aspirin. We have a decent local independent genre convention called NorWesCon, and another not too far away down in Portland called -- appropriately enough -- OryCon.

I've also been to San Diego's, New York's, and Seattle's comic cons, and several Star Wars Celebrations. I like those for what they are, when done well. Ditto anime cons. But I like the energy at the broad-genre cons. I like that they're in hotels. I like the panels and costumes and general inclusiveness I always feel. And I kept hearing Stories about Dragon*Con (now Dragon Con, for reasons). In 2008, circumstances aligned for me to attend it. And upon doing so I knew that I had to do whatever I needed to to make it back each year.

Maybe someday I'll even have some finished costumes that I can wear in Atlanta without melting and that I can wear in the crowds without me getting broken or innocent civilians getting accosted by sticky-out bitz...

I'm a little upset that I won't be bringing a costume this year. Maybe next year I'll have something, but wearing my snowtrooper with as hot as it has been in Atlanta every year at DC, I can't find myself justifying that.

'Sokay. I'm going to be in mufti, too. I'm just chuffed I finally get to meet you. I've respected your opinion on costuming matters over in the direction of the 501st for some time. :)

--Jonah

'Sokay. I'm going to be in mufti, too. I'm just chuffed I finally get to meet you. I've respected your opinion on costuming matters over in the direction of the 501st for some time. :)

--Jonah

Oy, that's scary to me for some reason.

Not that I don't appreciate that or anything lol

Good thing I more than likely won't be drinking by the time of the meetup. Or I will. It's dragon con. bah

What, scary to think you might be a Person People Listen To?

giphy.gif

Just an FYI, my flight lands at 7pm on thursday, so i might be a few minutes late. but I WILL COME!

I landed at...what, eight or maybe even nine-ish last year? After crazy delays and such. And I made it! Late, but I made it!

That said, I'm out this year, guys. Super bummed, but it is what it is. First Dragon Con I've missed since 2009, but...life.

Have fun and stay safe, everyone!

I'll be picking up my robe for my Hellboy Rasputin cosplay Thursday, I just don't know if it will be before or after the meetup. I'm really hoping I can meet my friend who made it for me before the meetup, then I'll be in full costume.

BADGE UPDATE:

First of all @MatrixSpoon and I have talked more about this years badge over the past 3 weeks than we have about our cosplays or our excitement for DragonCon. :lol

We have it all worked out now.

I had designed a new badge for this year that requires a very large high-res image to be used as the background of the badge, very similar to the full badge art found on the DragonCon badges, the difference being is that the background image would be you in cosplay. Unfortunately due to loosing my mom this year I have not been as active on this thread as I had planned. This badge design would have required lots of coordination with you all about image size, checking images etc. Matrix and I have decided to use this more elaborate design for 2017.

With that said, I did decided to make some minor adjustments to last years design so that this year the badge will be different. I included the 30th anniversary DragonCon logo on this years badge since DragonCon is having a birthday.

So here is the final design of the badge for this year:

RPF 2016 Badge.png

Hope you all like it. I'm going to be printing badges for folks on the final list this weekend, and I'll post more updates soon.

Thanks
Joshua

Last edited:
How long does the meetup last normally? There is a photo shoot I may be going to that starts at the same time. Good thing is, it's in the Marriott lobby lol. Odd place to have it, but that is what is listed. I would like to try to do both if possible. If not possible, I will do this, especially after missing out last year due to plane delays.

How long does the meetup last normally? There is a photo shoot I may be going to that starts at the same time. Good thing is, it's in the Marriott lobby lol. Odd place to have it, but that is what is listed. I would like to try to do both if possible. If not possible, I will do this, especially after missing out last year due to plane delays.

The meet up starts at 8:00pm, we understand that people run late due to driving, traveling, plane flights, delays, hotel check ins, etc. The list goes on and on, we usually are around the area for at least an hour if not 2. Most the time we try to stay around for about and hour and a half at least..if not more...

I hope this information helps.

Hey Nerd nice work on the badge. Sorry to hear about your mom.

See y'all in 5 days!!!

Hey thanks. And thanks for the kind words regarding my mom. This DragonCon it will be strange not to hear from her, she was a huge fan of my costume and prop work and she would call at least once and ask how the convention is going.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back