Gamora: Guardians of the Galaxy WIP (pics)

Panterona

Hi guys,

I'm a noob on this forum but I have recently begun my Gamora costume from GOTG and would like to share my progress as I go along with you guys :D I am hoping to finish it in time for a fotoshoot next week ^_^

I started this project way before proper reference photos could be found, so you can guess how many hours I spent watching trailers and getting screen caps of the outfit from as many angles as possible! I made the top before I saw the movie and I am pretty happy with the way it came out, especially now getting a better look at the details *twirls* Here is where I am so far with everything

gamora boot 70% before and after.jpg
SO I took a pair of old battered boots and took off the old heel, the wedge is created from a block of wood with shoe rubber and crepe tot e bottom of it :) When I took this to a shoe maker for help and advice, they were concerned about the size of the hole and the propensity for it to break under pressure and my weight. So this was the biggest it could be made without putting me at too much risk. Next I need to add on the other details with diff grades of leather to the front.

gamora fabric.jpg
So I went to my local leather shop and found some amazing pieces of leather with an abstract snake skin motif on them and thought they would be perfect for this project. This is me test dying it navy blue to match the top. The texture of this is amazing
gamora chest pieces.jpg
These are the front pieces dyed and cut out, so you get a better idea of how the texture moves and works on the chest pieces. I will then attempt to hand paint the most vibrant pattern down the middle so that you have a cool gradient effect. Will do some tests before I paint the finished piece.

gamora top.jpg
SO this is the top at about 90% completion! I created leather ribbing on the sleeeve bit and dyed and painted some netting fabric for the detail work. I am pretty happy with the way this has turned out so far. I just need to add the criss cross ribbon detail to the mesh and the top should be done.

Next steps: The pant, I bought this gorgeous navy blue/purple ribbed leather for that, I then gave it a black dye wash, so that its black ish but has the blue depth in it somewhat. This is for the knees. I am also gonna test out painting the black leather I have before hand to match what I wanna do to the top. For reference here is a nice shot of the leg bit:

gamora pants.jpg

Will post more pics and progress as I go along :)

~ Panterona

Hi Panterona,

I'm another newbie, and joined half to reply to this, half to discuss my own WIP Gamora costume! This all looks great - sounds like there'll be a lot of depth and detail in your outfit. I'd love to see more progress steps, and the result! I've also been screen-capping for days (and my hair dye has arrived), but that's as far as mine's gone this week so far. Can I ask where you got the ribbed leather? I'm in the UK, so I doubt I'll be able to get the same stuff you used - still, I'm curious! I'm also struggling with the blue highlights on the front panels - I think I'll have to try out a few ideas...

Heeeeey!

Hello fellow newbie hehe! I just finished the costume ( well I wanna tweak some bits still) but I just did a shoot with it yesterday :D So will post more progress in a bit ^_^ I got the ribbed leather in a local leather store here in the Caribbean ( I'm from Trinidad and Tobago) They usually have novelty pieces and scraps so I frequent there often to see what they scrounged up. ANDDDDDDDD I also just figured out how to tackle the paint on the front, so will post pics soon and hope they help with your build!! I'd also love to see your photos :)

Finished up my Gamora over the weekend for a fotoshoot:) Plan to debut it at London MCM!

20140905_152244.jpg
The pants, hand dyed lanbskin for the knee bit, and 2 types of pleather for the details and rest of it, one of which my machine hates with a passion :'(
20140905_152702.jpg
The top completed

View attachment 374422
The top connected... No idea why the pics are changing orientation upon upload tho hmmm o_O

Attachments

• 20140905_233546.jpg
    20140905_233546.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 402
Really nice job so far -- great use of textures, too, that really adds to the overall look. Can't wait to see the results of the photoshoot!

Thank you so much! I'm currently waiting on the photographer to send me the photos from the shoot :D

Here are the rest of the photos ( I hope they upload with the correct orientation this time)

20140906_080744.jpg
The finished suit! I applied a black gradient wash over the very vibrant pattern I did before to make it blend better. I wanted the pattern to seem like a part of the fabric, just peeking thru with the right amount of highlight to mirror the type of effect I saw from the movie. The pattern wasnt as noticeable in the movie as it was in the poster art, so I tried for a safe middle ground.

20140906_080744.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Neck Piece made from worbla and foam. First I drafted a pattern n then cut it out of foam and drew on where I wanted the gems to be placed. I then cut out the gems with a scalpel, making sure to number them so I knew where to place them when I was done. I backed the foam neck piece with black leatherette and then covered it with worbla, making sure to define the indents where the foam cut outs would be placed.

neck piece fin.jpg
After this I gessoed up the neckpiece and painted it black then primed the foam cut outs n painted them silver n then stuck each one in its respective indent.

The belt buckles also made from worbla and foam, pictured here all gessoed up and ready for paint :)
buckles.jpg

The completed pieces, with the holster made from Leatherette!

belt n buckes.jpg

AND here is the finished look as a side by side comparison hehe I will be sure to post photos as soon as the photographer is done!
gamora side by side.jpg

The Neck Piece made from worbla and foam. First I drafted a pattern n then cut it out of foam and drew on where I wanted the gems to be placed. I then cut out the gems with a scalpel, making sure to number them so I knew where to place them when I was done. I backed the foam neck piece with black leatherette and then covered it with worbla, making sure to define the indents where the foam cut outs would be placed.

View attachment 375221
After this I gessoed up the neckpiece and painted it black then primed the foam cut outs n painted them silver n then stuck each one in its respective indent.

The belt buckles also made from worbla and foam, pictured here all gessoed up and ready for paint :)
View attachment 375219

The completed pieces, with the holster made from Leatherette!

View attachment 375218

AND here is the finished look as a side by side comparison hehe I will be sure to post photos as soon as the photographer is done!
View attachment 375223

Amazing! I hope mine comes out half as good as yours!

If you don't mind me asking how much did you spend making the costume?

hmmm very good question, I usually never keep a log of my purchases, and some of this is made from material I had already. Hmm but I would guesstimate it would come up to like 300 USD thereabouts

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back