ME: A Tempest Scratch Build (Looking for advice)

tdl84

Hey everyone, after playing Mass Effect Andromeda, I have really been wanting to build of model of the Tempest (seen below). The problem is, I have never made a model like this before, I am a sculptor (wax), but have a little experience in working with styrene, mostly squarish shapes, but this ship is smooth and curved. I could probably sculpt it, but with Styrene it would be much easier to get nice clean lines, and I hope to make it 24" long, that would be a big brittle piece of wax!

Anyway, my thought was to have some base form, then add the styrene on top for the panels and details. Since I have never done this before, would that be a correct way to go about doing it, and if so, how should I approach building the form, what materials would I use?

I welcome any and all input, thanks!

landscape-1488811234-tempest-exterior.jpg

In the old days they'd use wood, polyurethane foam is more common today. I'd carve it in wood, then give it a layer of fiberglass and epoxy to make a hard surface.

In the old days they'd use wood, polyurethane foam is more common today. I'd carve it in wood, then give it a layer of fiberglass and epoxy to make a hard surface.

Thanks for the tips! I have never used fiberglass and epoxy before, instead of that, what about Bondo, just in case I mess up carving the wood, it would let me fill in mistakes, and create a harder smooth surface? And I wonder, would superglue or epoxy stick styrene to Bondo?

Your other option could be to create a vacuform buck for it

If I had the set up, that would be the dream. with the curves on the ship, I am going to have a heck of a time getting the styrene to bend the way I want.

Are you looking for this to be hollow or solid? That would make a big difference in how to approach it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back