Efx has a new $300 Darth Vader (precision cast replica) Helmet

Helmet arrived today. Are dome scuffs like this from shipping and rubbing the plastic clamshell typical on these, or is this an issue worth contacting eFX over? Assuming I can get a response.

Not sure if there's anything that could be done to get them out short of plastic polish that may or may not work, or could make things worse in my experience. I haven't had much luck trying to "fix" things in the past. Kind of hate it has those since it's on the top dome towards the front.

The rest of the helmet seems nice, but eFX can't seem to keep the domes from getting these rubs/scuffs. This happened on my legend also.

dome_scuffs.jpg

Last edited:
I had a lot of grease spots that rubbed off, but these aren't rubbing off unfortunately. They're actual surface rubs. I emailed eFX, may have to call them if I don't hear back within a week. eFX is such a difficult company to buy from, I don't know if I'd ever get to do a return or exchange. I may be stuck with the rubs no matter what. I simply don't trust them to take care of me, if even respond.

Last edited:
Helmet arrived today. Are dome scuffs like this from shipping and rubbing the plastic clamshell typical on these, or is this an issue worth contacting eFX over? Assuming I can get a response.

Not sure if there's anything that could be done to get them out short of plastic polish that may or may not work, or could make things worse in my experience. I haven't had much luck trying to "fix" things in the past. Kind of hate it has those since it's on the top dome towards the front.

The rest of the helmet seems nice, but eFX can't seem to keep the domes from getting these rubs/scuffs. This happened on my legend also.

View attachment 701260

Yeah they really should have used a foam liner of some sort.

Well - may be your excuse to find a good primer and paint, and have a go at it.

OK, need help. I'm normally not much of a Facebook guy but this is to convince my wife (who got a new car today) to get me this EFX Darth Vader Helmet as my consolidation prize! Help me RPF, you are my only hope!

https://www.facebook.com/todd.wehre...189929?notif_t=like&notif_id=1485482145072356

FYI- that's my son wearing the Trooper mask :)

I have no idea if this link will work or not, let me know if it doesn't! Thanks in advance!

Gave you a like. Only need 16 more as of this post. Good luck!

Dome sheen is pretty good on the eFX PCR. Just dull it with lots and lots of handling and fingerprints for that authentic look. The dome in ANH was gloss - just not buffed as ESB and RotJ.
The ANH vader was a satin black that was dulled down. (semi gloss)

Kershner wanted Vader to have more of a clean polished look in ESB so that's why the ESB helmet is MUCH shinier (full gloss). The EFX deffinitely is not semigloss.
Fingerprints won't do it ;)! You have to repaint it with a different shade of black and maybe add a dulling spray to get it to a more accurate look.

Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 14.10.11.png

The ANH vader was a satin black that was dulled down. (semi gloss)

Kershner wanted Vader to have more of a clean polished look in ESB so that's why the ESB helmet is MUCH shinier (full gloss). The EFX deffinitely is not semigloss.
Fingerprints won't do it ;)! You have to repaint it with a different shade of black and maybe add a dulling spray to get it to a more accurate look.

View attachment 701633

Well, not really. Satin black is actually pretty dull. My belief is that the ANH dome was quite highly polished, but not gloss coated. The reflections in the dome are actually quite sharp in a lot of shots, where a satin finish gives a much more diffuse look to the light it reflects. Obviously the later movies had a gloss coat to them, you can even see the slight orange peeling in the finish.

That said, it changes from shot to shot in all the movies. In ROTJ it's super glossy most of the time, but when Vader is talking to Luke on Endor the dome is actually pretty dull looking. Pick the finish that most appeals to you, certainly for ANH.

If it were my dome (in terms of a fix for the one above) I'd use the Novus plastic polish. If you only want to buy one of them, go with #2, otherwise get all 3 and work from 3 to 1.

Well, not really. Satin black is actually pretty dull. My belief is that the ANH dome was quite highly polished, but not gloss coated. The reflections in the dome are actually quite sharp in a lot of shots, where a satin finish gives a much more diffuse look to the light it reflects. Obviously the later movies had a gloss coat to them, you can even see the slight orange peeling in the finish.

From what I know they never used clearcoat on the OT-helmets.Only handpolished to supershine.

From what I understand thats already been proven false, although there are some that still argue it.

Do you have a source for that?I bet they really used no clearcoat for ANH and ESB...for ROTJ the supershiny helmet looks wet like clearcoat.But never underrate a good polishjob!;)

This is clearly a clear coat finish:

kissing_kirshner.jpg

Polishing would remove the uneveness in the finish, presenting a perfectly smooth look rather than the slight orange peeling that you see.

Colour shots from the movie, take these shots to a professional painter and ask how to match this and they will say 'clear coat', and give you a funny look for asking something so obvious.

Vadergloss1.jpg vadergloss2.jpg

Looking at Gino's shots of his own helmets, they look clearly polished. The finish is flawless and I'm sure a TON of work went into getting them like that, but they do not line up with the images I've posted.

That said, it changes from shot to shot in all the movies. In ROTJ it's super glossy most of the time, but when Vader is talking to Luke on Endor the dome is actually pretty dull looking. Pick the finish that most appeals to you, certainly for ANH.

If it were my dome (in terms of a fix for the one above) I'd use the Novus plastic polish. If you only want to buy one of them, go with #2, otherwise get all 3 and work from 3 to 1.

In most shots the reflections in the helmet are really diffused. BUT that's only what you see in most of the clear shots (tantive) (not the zoomed in Leia speech). So I would agree it's a matter of opinion and what look you're going for. :) So in your opinion what is needed to get it to a more Duller "Deathstar/ tantive look rather then the shiny? Wouldn't polishing it make it more reflective?

On page 15 of this topic someone compared the EFX LT edition with the PCR, It shows the difference in Finish.. the LT edition has much more of a dull look than the PCR wich really reflects everything quite like the ESB did.

Really appreciate the chiming in :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back