Rogue One Vader costume

Suit felt just a little off, but that wasn't a problem for me. The voice threw me off. Yes, it was JEJ but it didn't sound like ANH Vader. Lines were too slow and not angry enough.

I guess that's what happens when your voice actor ages enough. I thought they could have sped it up or tweaked it post production to improve some.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Suit felt just a little off, but that wasn't a problem for me. The voice threw me off. Yes, it was JEJ but it didn't sound like ANH Vader. Lines were too slow and not angry enough.

I guess that's what happens when your voice actor ages enough. I thought they could have sped it up or tweaked it post production to improve some.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
On the bright side they kept JEJ though.

I agree they could have done some tweaks on JEJ voice, just to help him out a bit... If I wasn't a RPF member the suit would have been just fine. And for the 'regular ' SW crowd it was, but for us? Uh-uh... They should have used a EFX Legend ... and I woulda been Happy. (Sigh) All because I'm now a educated weirdo on the RPF! Lol:lol ... We all are nuts you know!

I agree they could have done some tweaks on JEJ voice, just to help him out a bit... If I wasn't a RPF member the suit would have been just fine. And for the 'regular ' SW crowd it was, but for us? Uh-uh... The should have used a EFX Legend ... and I woulda been Happy. (Sigh) All because I'm now a educated weirdo on the RPF! Lol[emoji38] ... We all are nuts you know!
Well said[emoji38] [emoji106]

Some of the last few comments is why being OCD about everything isn't going to let you enjoy SW. I didn't think JEJ sounded old at all. So much for people who complained about Vader's inner cloak not being over the armor when it was the entire time! Makes me wonder when or if they changed their minds, or it was going to be at least both. Because most of the pics released he had his inner robe under the chest armor but those didn't happen in the movie. Gareth discussefd it here and it mentions both actors used,.with video also https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/rogue-o...-to-play-darth-vader-exclusive-180501988.html

Last edited:
I think the issue with the voice is much the same as ANH vs ESB and ROTJ - in ANH vader sounded like a man shouting through a closed door, rather than robotic.
Even a day after seeing it I'm still thinking how awesome it all was though. I'm not sure I should utter these words, but it even made me think they could apply some of the digital tricks to make a new ANH special edition....

I'm not sure I should utter these words, but it even made me think they could apply some of the digital tricks to make a new ANH special edition....

It could be done but it would be nice if they did that but also sold multiple versions (2004, 2011, Blueray, digital remastered) instead of the NEWEST thing.

Saw the film. Suit really took me out of it. The character was awesome, though.

I agree. When he first came on screen I was looking at the suit going "WTF were they doing when they put this thing together". It's not that difficult to make an accurate looking Vader if you use the right materials(I know from experience) and with LFL's access to the archives there's no excuse for botching it as badly as they did. I also felt JEJ's voice did not sound right at all and it really took away from the imposing nature of his character when you compare how his delivery sounded in this movie to the sound of his voice in the OT.

I'm still glad we got to see the Dark Lord on the screen again, but it could have been done so much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of the last few comments is why being OCD about everything isn't going to let you enjoy SW. I didn't think JEJ sounded old at all.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you're going to find too many people on this forum who will agree with it.

Seems like a few did above. And Vader doesn't look exactly the same from movie to movie anyway, & that's a fact.

Thanks for pointing out it was a fact...I didn't know that. :rolleyes

Obviously the look of his suit was different in all 3 OT films, but what you got in Rogue One wasn't accurate to any of the OT suits. It wasn't as bad as the abomination of the ROTS suit, but it could have been so much better. It didn't help that the guy wearing it isn't nearly as big as Prowse was either.

Obviously the look of his suit was different in all 3 OT films, but what you got in Rogue One wasn't accurate to any of the OT suits. It wasn't as bad as the abomination of the ROTS suit, but it could have been so much better. It didn't help that the guy wearing it isn't nearly as big as Prowse was either.
The guys 6'7 maybe not as muscular but definitely around the same height as prowse

If anything, Spencer Wilding (the new Vader actor) is taller than Prowse ever was..... Prowse was just much thicker around his chest and torso, making him fill out the armor more. Not to mention, the new Vader armor didn't sit how it should, and was definitely oversized.

Height was not the issue I was talking about. Filling out the costume is something the new guy clearly couldn't do when compared to Prowse.

652282847.jpg

spencer_wilding_218992691.jpg

Spencer Wilding being 6'7 is not as big as Prowse? Prowse was a bodybuilder but he was not his peak size as Vader, not sure where your pic came from or what year it was taken, he was not competing at the time he was Vader. Or Bob Anderson whom was just 6'1" with a slim build (which is often failed to mention)? If someone's chest is smaller the Vader suit is easily padded up anyway. I'll post this again. https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/rogue-o...-to-play-darth-vader-exclusive-180501988.html The R1 suit was it's own, not supposed to look exactly like the other films, though it was leaning closer to the ANH suit than the others in several ways. When you stop OCDing about these things you enjoy them more, like most people.

Last edited:
Spencer Wilding being 6'7 is not as big as Prowse? Prowse was a bodybuilder but he was not his peak size as Vader, not sure where your pic came from or what year it was taken, he was not competing at the time he was Vader. Or Bob Anderson whom was just 6'1" with a slim build (which is often failed to mention)? If someone's chest is smaller the Vader suit is easily padded up anyway. I'll post this again. https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/rogue-o...-to-play-darth-vader-exclusive-180501988.html The R1 suit was it's own, not supposed to look exactly like the other films, though it was leaning closer to the ANH suit than the others in several ways. When you stop OCDing about these things you enjoy them more, like most people.

If you actually took time to read my post you'd see clearly that I said HEIGHT was NOT the issue I was talking about.

Thanks for trying to tell me what I should enjoy and how I should enjoy it, but I'll take care of that myself. The simple fact is Vader looked "off" in this movie and nothing is going to change that. I'm done arguing about this with you so let's just leave it there.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back