Bandai release schedule

It would be cheaper to but the MPC/ERTL kit and then buy all the resin and photoetch enhancements for it. New (correct side walls), engine deck, docking ports, cabin interior, all can bring the old rough kit up to a nice display. The saucer hull curvature and mandibles are correct.

FineMolds made a great, highly detailed kit, but that id far too much money for something that is inaccurate. I have seen builds where a person removed the mandibles and recurved the hull (which is too flat), but that is a lot of work.

I know that, and you know that, but there are still people out there that disagree. And that's fine. To those that disagree, please don't discuss that here. I think there is a forum on www.theflatearthsociety.org or many other moon landing conspiracy sites. :lol

TazMan2000

It's mad, isn't it......such a fine & well made kit.....& for it to have a new life with the re-release by Revell......but still, it has fundamental flaws that can mess & alter it's look

J

The scale of any model that includes a verifiable component is not really open to question. So, the X-Wing, with its Astromech unit visible, has a solid derived "scale" simply because there was a real R2 unit with known dimensions that are used to 'yardstick' the filming models. The Y-Wing is the same scenario. Another is the B-Wing as the models used a scale pilot figure that is clearly seen and known to be from a 1/32 scale kit (and an accurate one with a correctly sized human figure...) In the case of the Millennium Falcon, the figures in the cockpit are less obviously sized, plus there is the ongoing inconsistencies with the full size sets (both interior and exterior.) The A-Wing is troublesome because there is no good direct scaling element (even the pilot figure of the model is deemed incorrectly sized... and also not consistent with other sources.) It would be very interesting to be privy to Bandai's scaling decisions for their kit. Perhaps Revell's use of 'box scale' is simply in reaction to this scaling conundrum...

In my opinion the "official" data is crap for scaling purposes since if almost always fails any comparison with the filming miniatures... which leaves the 'it looks right to me' paradigm to run the scaling "ship".

R/ Robert

Can't wait for the Star Destroyers. At 111 mm, I figure that puts them in a scale about 1:14500'ish, based on the length of the ISD from the official SW database.

I've ordered a couple of them to go with my 38" Korbanth SSD, which I figure is about 1:19000'ish scale.

The ISD's will look a little bigger than they should be with respect to the SSD, but the effect should still be there.

It would be cheaper to but the MPC/ERTL kit and then buy all the resin and photoetch enhancements for it. New (correct side walls), engine deck, docking ports, cabin interior, all can bring the old rough kit up to a nice display. The saucer hull curvature and mandibles are correct.

FineMolds made a great, highly detailed kit, but that id far too much money for something that is inaccurate. I have seen builds where a person removed the mandibles and recurved the hull (which is too flat), but that is a lot of work.

Having gone this route (several times) its not really much of a bargain... and the hull is still too fat and the cockpit tube still not tall enough... and if you crrect those its even still more of an ordeal. "fixing" the MPC falcon was my right of passage into scratching parts and REALLY getting into modeling.

As for the inaccuracy of the FM falcon... the mandibles and jawbox are really the only issues - granted they are big ones. That Kit is pretty darn awesome - even with those issues. What surprises me is that nobody ever made a replacement for the jaxbox for the FM falcon - the mandibles are pretty easy to correct if the jawbox is resized correctly. a couple of hours with a razor saw and careful cutting is all it takes to separate and re-glue it correctly... the jawbox is a PITA.. and is made even more noticeable when you fix the mandible width. Building that kit "almost" feels like building the real deal - all the plant on parts "feels" right, and built straight from the box and well painted nobody but the people "here" will notice anything is wrong with it.

my $.02 :D

Jedi Dade

Having gone this route (several times) its not really much of a bargain... and the hull is still too fat and the cockpit tube still not tall enough... and if you crrect those its even still more of an ordeal. "fixing" the MPC falcon was my right of passage into scratching parts and REALLY getting into modeling.

As for the inaccuracy of the FM falcon... the mandibles and jawbox are really the only issues - granted they are big ones. That Kit is pretty darn awesome - even with those issues. What surprises me is that nobody ever made a replacement for the jaxbox for the FM falcon - the mandibles are pretty easy to correct if the jawbox is resized correctly. a couple of hours with a razor saw and careful cutting is all it takes to separate and re-glue it correctly... the jawbox is a PITA.. and is made even more noticeable when you fix the mandible width. Building that kit "almost" feels like building the real deal - all the plant on parts "feels" right, and built straight from the box and well painted nobody but the people "here" will notice anything is wrong with it.

Jedi Dade

.....and it's good enough for ILM to do their pre-vis stuff

FineMolds%201-72%20amp%20Dave%20Fogler_zpsdpmxby2c.jpg

FineMolds%201-72%20amp%20Dave%20Fogler%202_zpsyewdvmbk.jpg

FineMolds%201-72%20Tarp%20test_zpsbbt8xzgs.jpg

.......but this artwork looks to me like they've used the Hasbro Hero Falcon for inspiration:
Hasbro%20Hero%20for%20concept%20work_zpslvmhbfy8.jpg

Imag2056.jpg

J

Jedi Dade

The mandibles is like a major thing (if it's a thing for one at all) but fairly easy if it's simply changing the angle. The jawbox is kinda in the same boat, but a little more of a pain. But you're overlooking the hull curvature which darn near impossible because the top and bottom are so rigid. That's the one that I just have to pretend I accept.

But you're overlooking the hull curvature which darn near impossible because the top and bottom are so rigid. That's the one that I just have to pretend I accept.

Actually, I fixed the hull curvature on mine and it wasn't impossible. In fact, it flexed pretty easily once you cut the three sided sections leading to the docking rings away (which you have to do anyway to trim them so they'll fit against the new hull curve).

Actually, I fixed the hull curvature on mine and it wasn't impossible. In fact, it flexed pretty easily once you cut the three sided sections leading to the docking rings away (which you have to do anyway to trim them so they'll fit against the new hull curve).

....& inspired by your fantastic job, HaJ, I'v done a bit of chopping on mine & am pretty happy with the results

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back