Interstellar (Post-release)

Was very happy to see a return to practical models, swgeek, and great job!
Yeah me too! Thank you, I'll pass it on.

CessnaDriver, I'm not exactly sure. I was told that 95% of time you see the Endurance, with or without the Rangers and Landers, that it's our model. There's also shots that are full size Ranger and 1:15 scale Endurance. Just from my observation it looked like most of the time you see the Rangers (and even the Landers) on their own, it's the full size one(s). We also built part of the Endurance at 1:5 scale for certain scenes, but I don't want to give away any plot points.

And not to take anything away from the cg crew, because I know that's not an easy job, and their stuff looked great!

That's great. We just love models here so much. I guess Nolan is a bit of a modeller himself.
I think it makes a difference for something to actual physically exist in some form at some point in the process.

Ok, so as the lead model maker on Interstellar, let me clear up a couple things.

Wow! Well I proudly stand corrected, sir. :)

Great work to you and all. All the ships looked great in EVERY shot.

Looking forward to that issue of Cinefex!

k

Saw it last night, will see it again tomorrow. An extraordinary film. What of the best I have seen in a long time.

So SWgeek! You are in a position to confirm or deny...

Murph's LM model seems to be the old Revell 1:48 kit in closeups

Revell-Lunar-Module-Eagle-Scale-Model.jpg

Although sometimes I thought it was the Dragon model. Can you elaborate?

Karl

I saw it without really knowing what to expect. I avoided the trailers. Yes, the science is a little off but it is a gratifying movie to watch and enjoy.
Funny. I sent a not to my favorite astronomer, Amy Mainzer (The Universe) for her opinion. She responded, "Haven't scene it. Sounds too much like work;)"

Just came back from seeing it. LOVED IT, it has many similaritys to 2001. (silence in space, The monolite/Hal9000 robots, )
Spoiler tags :
The tesseract library at the end of the movie really looked like the scene in the datacore when Dave is shutting down Hal. Even the moving through the event horizon looked similer to when dave was transported in the end of 2001. The robots was so awesome, they where like Hal9000/monolite/R2D2 with an attitude. Really liked that they had normal voices instead of "robot"voices. Pretty clever that we never got to know the real year everything went on, It got me thinking of Mst3ks theme music : "in a not too distance future..."

Wow! Well I proudly stand corrected, sir. :)

Great work to you and all. All the ships looked great in EVERY shot.

Looking forward to that issue of Cinefex!

k

Thank you! Nice to hear. Yeah I can't wait for the Cinefex article, I hope it's good, haha.

So SWgeek! You are in a position to confirm or deny...

Murph's LM model seems to be the old Revell 1:48 kit in closeups
Although sometimes I thought it was the Dragon model. Can you elaborate?

Karl

As far as the LM goes, I unfortunately don't have any answers for you. We didn't build it, to the best of my recollection.
I really liked your info graphics Karl, nice work.

Thank you for the compliment! :)

When the blu-ray comes out I'll have my answers, lol.

Once again, great work on the film! I never questioned what scale anything was or what I was really looking at, I was just along for the ride. Top notch miniatures.

Swgeek, here's another for you: what is the rocket supposed to be that they launch into orbit on? It kind of looks like the bottom two stages of a Saturn V, but I figured logically it had to be either an SLS or descendant of same. Did the production have an official designation for it?

k

Just came back, my high hopes and expectations based on early word was already in doubt by later reviews... but, I still went in fairly spoiler free (I was surprised when Matt Damon showed up) and a genuine want to like this movie and for it re-ignite my interest in space/sci-fi.

I guess the first complaint is the running length of this movie. There's no reason for this movie to be almost three hours....

Again I'm simply amazed at the amount of accolades I am reading about Interstellar - how does this get 9.1 on the IMDb? Yes, there are some basics for a great movie here, but it just never got there for me... it never became more than an "okay" movie. There's just so much wrong here, so much misdirection... it just baffles me.

Yes, it looked amazing - a little too dark at times, but amazing.

The score was just too loud, overbearing and seemed to be trying to mimic (or pay homage?) to something that I just couldn't place my finger on.

I did like the robots...

Saw it today. Pretty awesome.
The end was... Nolan-esque.
Loved the robots... particularly their "personalities". It was a nice change from the usual bi-pedal or rolling-type bots. They reminded me of something out of Minecraft.
The pacing was good... love how they didn't drag out the transition from "leaving family behind" to "launching into space". No drawn out "Armageddon" training montage or anything.
I started reading one site that attempted to rip apart all the plot holes. I'd rather not try to overthink this one.
I didn't even know Matt Damon was in this movie. Neat surprise.
Overall, very cool movie. Had a very Kubrick feel to it.

Swgeek, here's another for you: what is the rocket supposed to be that they launch into orbit on? It kind of looks like the bottom two stages of a Saturn V, but I figured logically it had to be either an SLS or descendant of same. Did the production have an official designation for it?

k

Sorry, no help on this one either, haha. We were pretty removed from what production was doing. I didn't even know about the rocket sequence until I saw it in the trailer. Also, I tried to avoid any talk of story while we were working on it, so that I could be surprised when I saw the finished film. That was difficult.

Sorry, no help on this one either, haha. We were pretty removed from what production was doing. I didn't even know about the rocket sequence until I saw it in the trailer. Also, I tried to avoid any talk of story while we were working on it, so that I could be surprised when I saw the finished film. That was difficult.

Were you able to at least enjoy the third act without too many spoilers?

The third act is what sold this movie for me. I enjoyed the build up and slower pacing of the beginning of the movie. When the movie got moving I was kept on the edge of my seat until the credits rolled. There wasn't really a point during the movie where I had it all figured out. It kept me guessing as to what was coming next. The water planet scenes were AMAZING and super intense.

Other than running out of soda, Interstellar didn't feel too long.
After seeing it, I want an extended version that has more on the Ranger test flight program, the war and how NASA became an underground program.

For first time viewing, don't think it will translate well to television, the wormhole and black hole need to be experienced on the big screen.
The human factor of the movie definitely will make this a good DVD to have especially if you are a fan of 2001.

Matt Damon was a nice surprise, but if Dr Mann was without supplies shouldn't he have been thinner?

I actually liked Nolan's previous films, though the last Batman movie got pretty silly at times. I should have realized that "Inception" was going to be a clue what this movie was about. In that film, you had to accept a lot of things that simply made no sense (such as how people actually physically get into each other's dreams) and could enjoy it anyway.
With "Interstellar," you had to stretch that level of acceptance to downright comical lengths. I'm at a loss as to how I could go over all the plot holes and not take a lot of my time doing so, but there were so many I gave up trying to keep track of them all. Anything that isn't explained is simply put off as "it must be us, way in the future." The science was so flawed that again, I wouldn't even know where to start.
Put simply, any movie that people rave mostly about, "how cool it looks" should be a red flag to most people that it lacks substance. That certainly applies in this case, in spades. It is a cool looking movie, no question. But it's also a real mess of a movie, too.
And at the risk of putitng out spoilers, they don't even resolve the basic premise of the movie at all.
Some will compare it to "2001," which is sort of valid in the concept of a very good-looking space film that didn't make a lot of sense to folks, but 2001 made perfect sense up to the very end. "Interstellar," for lack of any better way to put it, was an unholy mess. I'm convinced that the reviewers who have raved about it did so only because they couldn't admit to themsevles that they didn't get it and assumed it was high art.
"Plot? Where we're going, we don't need plots..."

I think they took too much time to setup the story and then skipped ahead to finish it. Combine that with dialogue getting washed over by the rest of the sound design, makes for a lot of people saying, "What?"

With some good script doctoring, this story could have been more acceptable as a TV show. Take the time to setup the story and sell us on the crap science. When he ended up behind the book case, that sealed it for me.

My Spoilerish comments . . . .

Any time your dealing with time travel, your going to create loopholes. Considering this requirement, I thought Nolan pulled it off pretty well. This movie wasn't just about looks. It had substance and emotion. Though I thought it was a little predictable at times. Definitely noticeable segments of the story were cut down for time, etc. Zimmer did a great job on the score as usual. Certainly not Nolan's best film, but I did find it thought provoking and entertaining. It almost gave me that shock and awe moment I experienced watching the Abyss for the first time, but not quite. Maybe just because I'm older now.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back