The Martian Space Suit

Wasn't me. I haven't even had time to attempt a print myself yet.

This is definitely not cool. There is a link on the page to report it as stolen to Thingiverse Captain April.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a huge bummer about the stolen helmet file Captain April. It looked to me like your model at first glance and my suspicion was confirmed by your post. I would love to get a copy of it through the legitimate means, one of my buddy's works at a 3d printing company and I now have access to a printer. Are you planning to sell or distribute the model at all?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

That's not cool!! Sadly its the common with 3D models as there isn't a lot you can do to prevent it. Despite how much I'd love to get a copy, I hope Thingiverse take it down for you Captain April. I was going to make available the Raspberry Pi image and circuit diagram for the wrist computer but for after this I might think twice about it.

Speaking of the wrist computer and on a more positive note, I've made some more progress.

Since last video:
* Further improved the responsiveness of the relay toggling.
* Added some more graphics to the sensors screen. For now they are static but I intend to animate them.
* Added some new sensors to the Pi to give barometric pressure and air temperature. It can also calculate the altitude although this isn't particularly accurate unless the Pi is outside.
* Added configuration to the settings to allow you to select which sensors are shown in which slots on the sensor screen.
* Added new menus to the communications screen to allow you to change the audio playing.
* Improved some of the graphics on the comms screen.
* Added a new Hab airlock function to simulate cycling the Hab airlock.

I've a few more features planned such as adding a compass module to show a simulated Hab direction, a "Watney is dead" error, error messages when temp sensors get out of desired range and I also need to finish off some of the graphics and animations. It's getting close now though. I need to get the wrist computer printed and painted up too.

DEFINITELY NOT COOL. Do you know who the culprit is?

- - - Updated - - -

Dude you could make a mint on this if you put it on iTunes and Google Play for .99.

I have to go back through my emails but I only gave the model out to 5 or 6 people, as an artist I find it incomprehensible to take credit for an other person's hard work, this is one of the reason's I was unwilling to sell the model since it wasn't my own design, it was based work by fantastic designers who worked on the movie.

I don't think the model was even there at all, it was just the picture? If you clicked download the files weren't even there. But someone did try to claim credit for your picture.

to every one who is on this foam tested on there hands on it go watch Adam Savage will be posting all info about this on tested it is nice

Sorry about that. I made it private because it needed an update. And just hadn't had time to get back to it. Unfortunately been super busy and haven't been able to touch anything in weeks.

I received additional information from @Frank Ippolito about the buckles on the suite. And have been trying to update things. (And I will be doing another group buy.)

• The small buckles we previously thought were 33/30mm were all 25mm.
  • There was one Nautic Cobra hiding behind the pack to bring the total to 5 (Previously mentioned on here).
  • And an extra hiding 45mm symmetric one in there as well (Not sure where, but I am sure we will see in one of the videos).

If you ordered before, you should be in workable condition. You can still use the very slightly larger buckles, no one will notice except us. The Nautic, and 45mm were hiding so well, we didn't find see them on reference, so again I doubt anyone will notice if you choose not to get them.

Updated sheet is opened up again at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KsjSCyTQzlggWQ3ut94nfPx0aF50oCBjRl1VWHrYXOg/edit?usp=sharing Don't think the link changed, but providing it again to be safe.

Edit: Group buy info was removed. I should have put it in separate thread, but was rushing to post it. Sorry about that. I will repost it in the proper location later.

Last edited:
Just one new feature this time, but it took some faffing to get working. The Raspberry Pi now has a 3 axis magnetometer attached which acts like a compass. It can be displayed in the UI in a couple of ways. Either the compass can be enabled, making the orange circle indicate the direction of north rather than spinning. Or the bearing (as degrees or compass bearing) can be displayed in one of the parameter slots like any other parameter.

The magnetometer I purchased was wildly out and so it took me some time to calculate how far off it was and to build this into the calculation of direction. I'll tidy all the script into a calibration routine that can be run if I change the magnetometer any time or release the code for others to build their own. The magnetometer needs to be reasonably level to be anything like accurate but I've been reading up on how to use an accelerometer to tilt compensate it. I'll play with it some more and see if I think it's necessary or not.

I've just one more sensor planned to add which is on it's way from China along with an ADC to allow it to be connected to the Pi. I've also ordered a few other bits and pieces to allow me to wire it all up in its final configuration and power it off the same 12v battery as the lights, fans, etc.

Wow, you can see that the real skill in 3d printing is the post clean up, You will have to re scribe the panel lines but it looks great. I noticed that I should have added some tabs for proper alignment of the parts. How do you plan to produce the clear visor?

yer re-scribe the lines this is an issue i have had before it can be a real pain in the ass especially when its symmetric a fraction of a mil out and it looks like crap, im still not a 100% on how im gonna deal with that if anyone has a solution they would like to share, please feel free to do so.

the visors i did think i was going to blow them or maybe vacuform but i now know that is highly unlikely so i am looking in to vacuum casting them.

Wow, you can see that the real skill in 3d printing is the post clean up, You will have to re scribe the panel lines but it looks great. I noticed that I should have added some tabs for proper alignment of the parts. How do you plan to produce the clear visor?

That looks like an awesome start!

I was thinking that if vacuum casting is near impossible then the tabs could be solvent welded to the dome after it was vacuum formed. I know a couple of companies in the UK that make large acrylic aquariums this way and if done well the join can be near invisible. I've also found a UK company that vacuum form acrylic circular or oval domes for displays, sky lights, etc. They offer stock items and low volume custom sized so I was considering asking them for a quote.

I've been following this for awhile and wanted to ask about the suit fabric. I ordered a pair of boots recently made from a product called Super Fabric. Up close it looks like a match to the suit - just a different color. The website says custom applications are available and it can be used on neoprene. Did anyone determine the suit fabric source?(Apologies if this was discussed already.)
5809a53e7628e5ad785f31d3fae0d069.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back