Star Wars Set Decorator is doing an AMA on reddit today!

The hour approaches, get ready folks!
Since my question is at the top of the thread, I'm confident I will get some kind of response from Roger. I will try to parlay any response into a dialogue and if I can manage that, I will suggest Roger open an account here at the RPF. Who knows, we may get an exciting new member out of this.

Would be wonderful if he remembers anything about the Obi saber, whats inside the clamp, how it's held together, anything.

Since my question is at the top of the thread, I'm confident I will get some kind of response from Roger. I will try to parlay any response into a dialogue and if I can manage that, I will suggest Roger open an account here at the RPF. Who knows, we may get an exciting new member out of this.

I upvoted that too, I'm excited!

Roger's answer was not what I was hoping for but I'm very pleased to have gotten any response.

Last edited:
You can also PM him on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=129633627166145

He may take a while to answer though, due to his busy schedule.

Thanks kalkamel, I probably should have checked with you before plastering your pics on reddit, and for that I'm sorry.
It's a rare treat to interact with a legend and I just got excited.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope so! I want to pester him all I can with questions on Alien.:D

I loved this response about lightsabers:

I've got one in my hand now. I'm making some, exactly as I made my originals - I've had the t-strip made EXACTLY as I put on the first one, and i've had bubble strips made identically to the ones that i used. I'm making a few of those. I don't know what I will do with them.

Maybe I'll auction them off! I know people would love them. And they're not saying they're used in STAR WARS, but they are prototypes of what I'd made. So I think why not?

I'd be very interested to see those.

Thanks @kalkamel, I probably should have checked with you before plastering your pics on reddit, and for that I'm sorry.
It's a rare treat to interact with a legend and I just got excited.

No worries, Brendan! Thanks a lot for the mention! :)

The question of reconstructed memory and of just how much the prop/film enthusiast community could have tainted his primary recollection over the decades is obviously there. Despite this, if we aren't going to listen to this when we have no real evidence he is wrong, it might not feel right.

We have a referenced source for using rubber draught excluder type material now. I'd also hope for how often the t-track was used, he'd remember correctly, and wouldn't misremember being provided with a big roll.

Rubber would also be a lot more comfortable to hold! What evidence against rubber can we surmise from screencaps? We should try and weigh it up then even if we still aren't sure, we can know we followed reason, whichever material somebody uses.

Last edited:
can we summon GINO ? I think he's actually held some lightsaber props in research for EFX and I'd love to hear his take on this!

The plastic was also available in rolls, too, right? I remember some time ago, someone had rolls of the stuff being sold in the JY (although they were a dark brown instead of black); same shape profile and all.

The plastic was also available in rolls, too, right? I remember some time ago, someone had rolls of the stuff being sold in the JY (although they were a dark brown instead of black); same shape profile and all.

Yup, that was me. I gave Roger a roll the last time I saw him.
rps20150621_053322.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back