Fallout 4

No they aren't. Not sure what "Original Fallout" you're talking about, but in the first Fallout the BoS can actually help you attack the Super Mutant infested military base. Don't recall anything they did to make them enemies. They give you quests, you can even join. If you're karma is high enough, you'll even get a suit of Power Armor. Hardly the things "enemies" would do.

I only played Fallout 1 once after F3, but I recall them helping you. They're jerks in that they trick you into going into your "BoS initiation" by entering a rad infested area with Supermutants (I think...) thinking you'll be killed.

I only played Fallout 1 once after F3, but I recall them helping you. They're jerks in that they trick you into going into your "BoS initiation" by entering a rad infested area with Supermutants (I think...) thinking you'll be killed.

It was called 'The Glow' and it contained no Super Mutants. Only machines. And those two entry guards hardly represent the bulk of how the BoS views the outside world. One Scribe, Vree, is more than willing to share her findings with you in regards to her Super Mutant studies which results in a non-violent resolution with the Master.

Not only that but the guys guarding the door at Lost Hills where you get that mission were pretty much just giving that mission to folks to get rid of them so they'd stop bothering them about trying to get in. I'm assuming just being told they had to do a hard task would scare away most folks. Oddly enough the one dude at the door is voiced by Richard Moll and looks like him a bit.

Not only that but the guys guarding the door at Lost Hills where you get that mission were pretty much just giving that mission to folks to get rid of them so they'd stop bothering them about trying to get in. I'm assuming just being told they had to do a hard task would scare away most folks. Oddly enough the one dude at the door is voiced by Richard Moll and looks like him a bit.

I found very satisfying to have enough whoopa$$ to be able to go into that BoS bunker in New Vegas and wipe all of them out.

It was a PITA to haul all of the loot out of there though... took several trips.

On a more positive note, Many A True Nerd has posted a video on how he made his very own airship. Behold the glory of the Royal Britant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished it.

Bethesda dropped the ball on the writing so ****ing much. The BoS is such ********, and there's NOTHING that can be done about it other than killing them all. The Institute is killing people and replacing them with synths, and there's NOTHING that can be done about it other than killing them all. The Minutemen are somewhat redeemable, but Preston gets so damn clingy. The Railroad is more or less ok, but they also really don't care about people, only Synths. If you work with them you have to kill the BoS.

Really, this is just as much a failure of writing as FO3 with the ****ty ending that had to be fixed with DLC.

God, what a ****ing waste from what should have had potential.

And the ending cinematic, total letdown. Seems like one generic ending cinematic instead of one that really showed changes to the world.

People say they want a "better written story" and people say they want Bethesda not to force them down a specific path. You can't have it both ways.

Well, I gotta be honest.

I did expect better as far as the story went. I feel that the plot line they established here was great, and had a lot of potential.

But, I know what you mean. Can't please everybody. Personally I never had a complaint about being driven down a specific path. It's how it is in the first game, it's how it is in the third game. The aspect was cool in New Vegas to "pick your side", but again, like you said, that ability didn't make the story less weak.

But yeah, I expected more in the writing department.

Would passing a speech check and convincing them to abandon their lifelong goals be more realistic?

We KNOW that they had some writing that would have allowed Danse to take over the BoS. They could have easily had writing that had some of the BoS a bit uneasy about how Maxson was leading things. And then have an event where Maxson crosses the line, and you had a choice to continue to help him or help overthrow him. Maybe he decides to wipe out an entire community of people because there were Synths in it. You could help stop it, by getting Danse to overthrow it, or if they go through with it, you could find that 80% were human and you murdered innocent people and get another chance to overthrow him or continue his extremist views.

For the Institute, your own son is the head, you could have spent time getting to know him, working with him and showing him what the world was like before the War. Convince him that killing humans to replace them was wrong, but that creating Synths themselves isn't at it's core evil, just the method of testing where they are killing humans to do so is wrong. Get them to pull back on it and help him show that the Synths are achieving consciousness and after that they deserve some right to autonomy and freedom. That the Synths are their 'children' and it's wrong to treat them the way they are, but go keep having children. I don't know the full details, but I assume Sean was at some point trying to find a way to transfer his consciousness into a Synth to save his life? He was dying of something and there was no cure right? What about convincing him to abdicate his role and using the technology in the Vault 111 to freeze him until the process is perfected or a cure is found. Then you as his child take over and change the policies of the Institute to make it more humane? For god's sake I'm not a writer and still am coming up with better solutions than 'kill them all'.

The murder of the Railroad because the BoS didn't like that they helped with Synths escaping was just lazy.

There are so many ****ing ways this could have been salvaged, but their writers dropped the ball. The fact that the ONLY solution to the three big factions is killing them is disappointing.

Last edited:
I have destroyed so many vertibirds and brotherhood patrols for the railroad, I keep waiting for them to ask me to bring down that airship, but I guess if they were going to do that, they would have done so by now.

Anyway, I am only one more level up away from being able to pickpocket the shirt right of someones back, so that will teach Desdomna not to talk to me any more.

Overall the story portion of the game feels rushed. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to scrap a ton of stuff to get it out in time.

Overall the story portion of the game feels rushed. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to scrap a ton of stuff to get it out in time.

The thing is, the writing SHOULDN'T have been rushed. They could have come up with the whole script and non violent solution choices will before the first line of code. They could have worked on it parallel if needed, and had all these options sorted out long ago. It's just a shame.

I agree, it reminds me of what happened with Destiny where they scrapped stuff to get the game out fast. This is the first fallout that I'm honestly in no hurry to play again. Sadly it's done well enough and there are enough gamers out there who don't care about story that they may get away with this in future installments too.

Would passing a speech check and convincing them to abandon their lifelong goals be more realistic?

"Everyone, this is my mother. She knows nothing of the institute, how it works, what it's goals are and judging by her attire (Brotherhood of Steel Power Armor) it's reasonable to assume that she has been in touch with a lot of people who really don't like us. I am therefore officially making her the leader of the Institute."
- Father

If there was any speech check that involved making the Institute do something really stupid, Father already did them all.

There absolutely should have been a way to get the various groups to get together, maybe not all of them but some of them could find common ground and work things out: get rid of the leader of the BOS and they could make peace with the Institute, get the institute and railroad to work things out...stuff like that. Some of those groups could find common ground someplace. The leader of the BOS is so far from the character he was in F3 that it's like he's someone new, even losing the elder and Sarah couldn't have effected him that badly. It's like he was replaced by one of the Outcasts. Maybe he's a synth with a grudge lol

I agree. On my first game I went BoS and I was hoping there was a way to take Shaun with you to see all the communities that were doing well and surviving. He just comes out on the roof and says "Well it is all hell just like I assumed, and my one and only trip above ground confirms it!" Blowing the Institute to pieces, and making a bunch of new fallout, is insane. It's as insane as anything the Enclave was trying to do. It would make more sense to have the BoS scribes take it over and try to use it to improve everyone's lives. Hello BoS! Ready made bunker full of high tech equipment. Perfect for a base! But yeah, let's blow it up.

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they did write it that this Maxim is actually a rogue Synth, i mean they managed to replace one high ranking member of the BOS and he does go out on missions.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back