Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

I've been running kinda crazy lately! Picking up a '78 CB750 Friday that's in pretty good shape.. taking this one back to bone stock for now, may actually sell it once I've got it all shiny and new, probably won't though.. I really like the old kickstarts!

Photo Oct 18, 11 50 55 AM.jpgPhoto Oct 18, 11 51 00 AM.jpg

Touched base with this guy that started to build a 1970 CR750 which was the CB that was built and actually won the 1970 Daytona 200 but haven't heard from him in last few days.. He started the project but has to pass it on to someone to finish due to health reasons.. This bike is kinda insane as the frame is highly modified and the specific parts to build it are very hard to come by, originals anyways.. lots of reproduction stuff out there but this bike I really want to get together! This bike has reversed foot controls... linkage that runs the shifter to the right side of the bike and the brake to the left side.. guess they set it up like that to emulate the british bikes of the day.. the gent has some of the impossible pieces to get but the rest of them will be hand made.. interesting bike!

00E0E_hacf5ZAGGrP_1200x900.jpg

This is ultimately what it will look like, the bike that won with Dick Mann riding it in the Daytona 200..
00f0f_6ezwZnGh83n_1200x900.jpg00A0A_9owvyqpYhuy_1200x900.jpg

Family first! If you get a chance could you post a pic of the battery cable bracket? I got my battery mounted in the swing arm but the battery cable box is not anchored down to anything but stays in place for the most part.

Ask and you shall receive.While going over some reference photos for the engine covers and wiring,I found this little guy on another Nighthawk that Classified built. It's only logical to assume that they used it on all of the Nighthawks they built.

Battery%20wiring%20bracket.png

So I got to drawing on a piece of carboard so I could make a prototype, then traced it on to some steel. Cut and bend, and you have a bracket. Im going to go back and use some thicker gauge sheeting though, while this will work, it does not match the reference photos.

20161030_122426.jpg

20161030_145707.jpg

Ask and you shall receive.While going over some reference photos for the engine covers and wiring,I found this little guy on another Nighthawk that Classified built. It's only logical to assume that they used it on all of the Nighthawks they built.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/Battery wiring bracket.png

So I got to drawing on a piece of carboard so I could make a prototype, then traced it on to some steel. Cut and bend, and you have a bracket. Im going to go back and use some thicker gauge sheeting though, while this will work, it does not match the reference photos.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/20161030_122426.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/20161030_145707.jpg

That's really nifty! Thanks for sharing! Gives me something to go off of! If you're gonna toss that one I'll take it off your hands. What gauge are you gonna go with?

- - - Updated - - -

I've been running kinda crazy lately! Picking up a '78 CB750 Friday that's in pretty good shape.. taking this one back to bone stock for now, may actually sell it once I've got it all shiny and new, probably won't though.. I really like the old kickstarts!

View attachment 679643View attachment 679644

Touched base with this guy that started to build a 1970 CR750 which was the CB that was built and actually won the 1970 Daytona 200 but haven't heard from him in last few days.. He started the project but has to pass it on to someone to finish due to health reasons.. This bike is kinda insane as the frame is highly modified and the specific parts to build it are very hard to come by, originals anyways.. lots of reproduction stuff out there but this bike I really want to get together! This bike has reversed foot controls... linkage that runs the shifter to the right side of the bike and the brake to the left side.. guess they set it up like that to emulate the british bikes of the day.. the gent has some of the impossible pieces to get but the rest of them will be hand made.. interesting bike!

View attachment 679645

This is ultimately what it will look like, the bike that won with Dick Mann riding it in the Daytona 200..
View attachment 679647View attachment 679648

Wow!! That 78 cb750 is nice!! Are the other bike builds still happening too??

The servicar is on hold, did some research and those things ride like beasts.. essentially it's a rigid but with two wheels on the back that will surely be a fairly rough ride.. It's not forgotten just not a priority right now.

Hoping the cat with the CR750 calls me this weekend so I can go down and pick it up but definitely getting the black 78 cb750 this weekend.. it needs very little to get it cleaned up.. little elbow grease and a few stock pieces.. (seat primarily and some cleaning), wash and wax and it'll stay like it is.

Never noticed that bracket for the starter relay.. I looked at it quite a bit and determined with the easy as pie to steal thing going on with the generic ignition assembly I wanted to be able to get to the fuse pretty easy to remove it in case I leave the bike somewhere so I ended up using a little punch screen and mounting it to one of the casing bolts if I recall correctly.. Didn't have to modify or lengthen and of the cables and I can lift the cover and pull the fuse in 2 seconds.

Photo Aug 19, 3 58 22 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 19, 3 58 49 PM.jpg

Thanks ragtop, I'm not sure if it's vacuum or not. It's kind of square looking not the angled type you used. I'll try the one line with a bigger hose and see if that works. If not then I'll run a Tee with two taps. Cheers much appreciated

First pass on weathering the engine covers last night. Still have a bit more experimenting to do, but it should come out ok.

20161102_201414.jpg

I cant wait to see the result. I'm also busy whit a cb750 in belgium. Only it is hard to find the parts. I can have the front suspension of a 2006 r6. Also the gold one. But what is the difference with the 2008 model? I saw that you have build it like the original bike of the movie so i hope i can get the answer. Greets to all
Michael

I cant wait to see the result. I'm also busy whit a cb750 in belgium. Only it is hard to find the parts. I can have the front suspension of a 2006 r6. Also the gold one. But what is the difference with the 2008 model? I saw that you have build it like the original bike of the movie so i hope i can get the answer. Greets to all
Michael

The 2008 model I believe has a different hub size. So if you piece together something, make sure you go all 2008 or all 2006 front end parts to make sure everything is compatible.

Today's progress:

Manage to finish up the clutch cover "patch". I blew up the Exif side shot and made a 1 for 1 template, then transferred it over to steel. Drilled it out, welded it up, and put some heat on it. Came out pretty decent.

20161103_194034.jpg

Clutch%202.png

Also started work on the kick starter decorative plate. I did the same thing with this one, blew up a 1 for 1 template and bent it up as 4 pieces. I made a makeshift jig to weld it all up.

20161106_122033.jpg

Welded on some studs and drilled out the holes:

20161106_150654.jpg

20161106_150707.jpg

20161106_150544.jpg

That's it for now :)

Last edited:
I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if this was answered yet but the mesh behind the headlight looks like some material called bean screen it's use to filter different types of grains trough I've bought some from the local welding shop it comes in different holes sizes and the key chain strap looks like the end of a military style belt. Just my fyi don't know if it helps but I threw it out there.

Today's progress:

Manage to finish up the clutch cover "patch". I blew up the Exif side shot and made a 1 for 1 template, then transferred it over to steel. Drilled it out, welded it up, and put some heat on it. Came out pretty decent.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/20161103_194034.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/Clutch 2.png

Also started work on the kick starter decorative plate. I did the same thing with this one, blew up a 1 for 1 template and bent it up as 4 pieces. I made a makeshift jig to weld it all up.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/20161106_122033.jpg

Welded on some studs and drilled out the holes:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/20161106_150654.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/20161106_150707.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt218/nstevic01/Daryl Bike/20161106_150544.jpg

That's it for now :)

Very nice!:thumbsup

Yeah that's some decent progress on the bike bro! I haven't started on the Servicar yet but am scrounging parts for her..

The new '77 has got me running around now looking for parts... Have a newer type R6 front end coming.. helping a buddy with his 77 CB750 single sided swingarm as I got a free swing arm out of the deal.. It's interesting how things changed through out the years..

The servicer I'm pretty sure is going to end up with CBX motor.. 6 pipes off the front of those engines! INSANE looking.. I'm going to build a mock machine gun, probably twin barreled that is going to be the primary handlebars.. Needless to say the Harley is gonna have to wait a little bit.. it's going to be little harder to put together than the '77..

can see what I've been playing with lately on my instagram if you guys are interested!

https://www.instagram.com/geminivisions/

Seen you live in FL I live about a hour or so south of you and I'm looking to build one, how did you get the front to fit and what size wheels

Everything you need you know is in the first few pages of the thread. I also have a detailed parts list on page 2 or 3. :)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So after putting together the cover that goes below the kick starter, something felt off. I researched a bit more and sure as ****, the whole thing was wrong.

As you can see in this screen shot, it actually sits flush with the kick starter mounting plate and has a cut out around the frame.

kick%20cover.png

This meant that 1/2" flat stock would not be wide enough, so I ended up using 1" flat stock. This also meant that I had to move the kick start mounting tube out....so I ground off the welds and re-fabricated everything. It definitely looks better, I may or may not end up making another version depending on how ambitious I am.

20161204_120456.jpg

20161204_120503.jpg

20161204_120509.jpg

By the end of the day, I had just enough time to fabricate one side of the engine cage. I was able to find a close up shot of how it's mounted to the block. In this pic, it shows that they drilled into the top fin and ran a socket cap screw through to secure.

bike321.png

20161204_195610.jpg

20161204_195630.jpg

That's it for now.

It looks great. Mine is not so far finished. I'm now searching for the airfilters but cant find something like the original one from the movie. Can someone tell me where i must sourch for it?
Thank you

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back