Rey's Gun TFA

thx! I am working on the pattern files for it now, and I will post them up with instructions, hopefully in the next week or so.

I did not stitch it, I used contact cement to glue it together. It's made from a single piece of leather folded down onto itself. I looked at a couple different ways of doing it and decided on this method because 1) I could not find any reference to indicate that the movie version had stitching on it and 2) the front gets 3 leather pieces folded on top of each other, so it gets pretty thick.

I can tell you that if you size the holster to your blaster right and make sure it is tight when assembled, cement is strong enough to hold it very tightly without any issue. I can hold it upside down and the blaster won't move at all, it's very snug, but when worn, you can pull it out no problem. Of course, you could always add stitching if you wanted. I'd really love to see how a pro leather person would do this, since this is only the 3rd leather piece I've ever made.

Here is the final version of it with the strap sized.

rey-costume-holster.jpg holster6.jpg

Last edited:
Also, what's going on here with only 7 barrel vents? A trick of the light?

View attachment 586527

8 are visible here, presumably from the same scene, just a different set up:
View attachment 586529

Actually, going by the position of the falcon in the background, these may not be both from the movie scene. Is one just a promo photo?

It's definitely a trick of the light, the first hole is showing the tree lit by the sun behind it (light tan color). Definitely 8 barrel vents in both!
See this screenshot:
Snapshot-2016-04-13 at 05_27_52 PM-263835910.jpg

Who's making the best, most screen accurate, clean
kit out there? Affordable would be nice too.

Last edited:
Here are my Rey blasters. Two different kits. Both with different pros and cons. I'd love one with the best of of both,
and maybe a few more separate pieces. I'm still learning the best technique for working on 3D printed items, but I'm
mostly happy with how they turned out. I think I'll leave the more wooden look on the grips even though I know the prop has
smooth grips. What do you think?

Reyblaster.jpg

Here are my Rey blasters. Two different kits. Both with different pros and cons. I'd love one with the best of of both,
and maybe a few more separate pieces. I'm still learning the best technique for working on 3D printed items, but I'm
mostly happy with how they turned out. I think I'll leave the more wooden look on the grips even though I know the prop has
smooth grips. What do you think?

View attachment 615840

They look great! Did you resize the files? I did, and it came out a tad too big. Mines measures 12 total length.

Working in the firearms industry, I would like to get other's takes on the internal function of the blaster. I am working on a model of the blaster and would like to make the gun more "functional" without changing the exterior at all.

As an example, see the Walther frame below.

DEKO_PPK_0002.jpg

The frame is hollow in order to house the mechanical components and the grips cover the space and are held to the frame with fasteners. I would like to model the blaster more like this in order to allow for the design of an internal working mechanism. What do you think?

image.jpeg

I was able to determine Rey's holster has 2 rivets below the belt loop, so I added those.

image.jpeg

The template and info on how to make it are now up at

DIY Rey's Resistance Costume Blaster Holster with template

you will need to download and print the 3 template pages, probably transfer it to thicker paper and then adjust the size to your blaster. The height will prob be OK for most, but the side flaps that determine the opening size will need to be trimmed, so leave a little extra material when you cut those areas.

Last edited:
View attachment 617903

I was able to determine Rey's holster has 2 rivets below the belt loop, so I added those.

View attachment 617904

https://emeraldb.com/2016/04/23/star-wars-rey-resistance-costume-part-1-blaster-holster/

you will need to download and print the 3 template pages, probably transfer it to thicker paper and then adjust the size to your blaster.

Thanks, Redwillow.

This will be really helpfull. :)

I used metallic blue testers in a spray can from Michael's. Taped off at the third barrel line and just lightly misted the tip of the
barrel. Then after it dried I removed the painters tape and light wet sanded with 1500 sandpaper the edges of the line to give
it a more natural line.

Mines 12 inches, (but it don't use it as a rule) !! Sorry couldn't help it.

its oversized but fits great in my big mitts.
Its all metal so the flash heat bloom is real, but the end washer is coloured by airbrushing a matt black from a spray can gently around the end, then its hit with an automotive dark blue thinned down and applied with an airbrush. You can vary the intensity and add rings of other colours should you like, but don't overdo it.
This was way to much angle grinding and filing !, I will be making an actual size version with a lathe and water jet next time, so I should get the lines to match up!! haha
Oak grips with a bit of wood showing. I must finish the safety, nearly blew my foot off this morning.
Love the thread, big up all the makers out there.
SAM_1722.JPGSAM_1720.JPGSAM_1716.JPG

THANKS for sharing the pattern, Redwillow!! Gonna give the holster a go!

Art
'Jon8712'

https://emeraldb.com/2016/04/23/star-wars-rey-resistance-costume-part-1-blaster-holster/

you will need to download and print the 3 template pages, probably transfer it to thicker paper and then adjust the size to your blaster. The height will prob be OK for most, but the side flaps that determine the opening size will need to be trimmed, so leave a little extra material when you cut those areas.

HI Mastah blaster. It is foam under the old black T-Shirt. It comes with the case and is spit into hundreds of columns which you remove and cut down to desired length then re-insert. Easy enough, and the cases are only about £20. Great for storing the blasters or a bunch of old tools.

Hey guys, been looking for a while here for build plans for the blaster but havent found any free ones, only ones that people are selling on etsy and the like, so i decided I'd do a really quick template for anyone wanting to give the blaster a go. I did a drawing like literally pen and paper very basic but if it helps any one out you are welcome to it. So herre you go, hope this helps. PS it may be a little too large as it clocks in about 13" and I know peoples blasters tend to vary from about 10" to about this but shouldnt be too much of a problem to scale down if needs be :)

img017 (2).jpgimg017.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back