Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Some people have this need to spoil other peoples fun - whether it's by full blown spoilers or dropping hints here or there. I think that for some, it's intentional, for some reason they feel superior by knowing thing's others may not - for others, it might just be a subconscious thing...

One thing is clear: we do have a spoiler thread here for those kinds of discussions. Yet, some still like to play the spoiler card... there are plenty of spots on the net to find out just about everything about this movie, so no one is special or entitled because they have this information.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/20/the_twisted_psychology_of_the_spoiler_partner/

Ya know what? I feel bad for the people that have spoiled this movie for themselves. I know more than I want to, yet I still feel like I'm going in relatively fresh - I'm going to see this movie in a way they will never be able to... a lot like how I saw the original Star Wars trilogy. I'm sure I'll see this movie multiple times, so I'll have the opportunity to see it already spoiled, too.

Wrong. Any official release isn't considered a spoiler. That's was how this thread was predicated, as a place to discuss only official releases and content. If JJ decided to go on CNN today and read the script, it's officially released. Yes it would spoil the film but it's their prerogative. The avoidance of spoilers is really the onus of the individual. If watching a trailer or reading a press release or interview exceeds your threshold for spoilers, it's on you to take steps to avoid that. Participating in discussions of those topics online is likely a poor idea. No one can police someone else's sensitivities.

In regards to feeling bad, don't bother. For some peoples fandom it's all about learning aspects of the story. It's fun abd lasts for months and months of soeculation and debate and does nothing to diminish the actual experience if seeing the film.

I'm all for a spoilers thread, but I have to say this, and maybe I'm wrong, but...

There is a big difference between a Rumors thread and Spoilers thread. Spoilers are anything that would give away plot devices, regardless of whether it has been released in an official way, through some publication, or in an interview. Just because something is not a rumor, doesn't mean that it is not a spoiler. Some people are hoping to go into this movie without extensive knowledge of what they are going to see on the big screen. Disagree with their motives, why they are on this thread, or whatever, but that is what non-spoiler would suggest in my book. Some people just want to speculate wildly, and that's all cool... even if it is someone who is COMPLETELY certain that Luke is now a Dark Jedi because of training or whatever...

I have a lot of friends who are avoiding spoilers, and when we discuss the movie in person, and they say "But no spoilers, please!" I don't say, "Ok, but J.J. said ___________ in an interview. Don't worry, it's not a spoiler, because J.J. said it."

This is just my lowly opinion on spoilers vs. non-spoilers, and the content of this thread.

And the precedence set in this thread is if it's an official media release its worthy for consideration and discussion. If that exceeds your tolerance for spoilers, then you shouldn't partake in the threads content.

But it is a spoiler and you just went and blurted it out. I know you don't give a hoot about other people's opinions, but that is a fact. If the character is in a tense situation in the movie, now we don't have to worry because you decided we all need to know. No warning, there it is.

It's a shame Kathleen Kennedy decided to release this info, it seems like she should take some cues from JJ.

Look, I'm an active participant in both threads, so obviously spoilers won't hurt my feelings. But why even have two threads if both are going to contain spoilers?

It's a shame Kathleen Kennedy decided to release this info, it seems like she should take some cues from JJ.

Perhaps. It's worth noting I have linked numerous articles and media releases in this thread regarding this film, both with and without editorial. Sharing a public quote from the films producer is no different although I was surprised she said it. Even in the spoiler thread the disposition of that character was not known.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, I'm an active participant in both threads, so obviously spoilers won't hurt my feelings. But why even have two threads if both are going to contain spoilers?

Because as we draw to a close the amount of information released via marketing efforts, product releases, ect. will inevitably begin to blur the lines between the two. Best bet is to avoid both threads...and the La Times. It becomes exceedingly difficult to satisfy the avoidance of all.

A spoiler is an element of a disseminated summary or description of any piece of fiction that reveals any plot elements which threaten to give away important details concerning the turn of events of a dramatic episode. Typically, the details of the conclusion of the plot, including the climax and ending, are especially regarded as spoiler material. It can also be used to refer to any piece of information regarding any part of a given media that a potential consumer would not want to know beforehand. Because enjoyment of fiction depends a great deal upon the suspense of revealing plot details through standard narrative progression, the prior revelation of how things will turn out can "spoil" the enjoyment that some consumers of the narrative would otherwise have experienced. Spoilers can be found in message boards, articles, reviews, commercials, and movie trailers.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for a spoilers thread, but I have to say this, and maybe I'm wrong, but...

There is a big difference between a Rumors thread and Spoilers thread. Spoilers are anything that would give away plot devices, regardless of whether it has been released in an official way, through some publication, or in an interview. Just because something is not a rumor, doesn't mean that it is not a spoiler. Some people are hoping to go into this movie without extensive knowledge of what they are going to see on the big screen. Disagree with their motives, why they are on this thread, or whatever, but that is what non-spoiler would suggest in my book. Some people just want to speculate wildly, and that's all cool... even if it is someone who is COMPLETELY certain that Luke is now a Dark Jedi because of training or whatever...

I have a lot of friends who are avoiding spoilers, and when we discuss the movie in person, and they say "But no spoilers, please!" I don't say, "Ok, but J.J. said ___________ in an interview. Don't worry, it's not a spoiler, because J.J. said it."

This is just my lowly opinion on spoilers vs. non-spoilers, and the content of this thread.

never said I was COMPLETLY certain it is just everyone else is COMPLETLY certain he is not don't know why that is so hard to understand .

but I have to ask .

what do you and your friends talk about then?
if you cant talk about details of the movie that would mean watching the trailer is a spoiler as well .

I am not trying to be mean or anything I really want to know how you can draw a line at this point ?
seems to be anything more than the fact there is a new star wars movie is too much info anything more than that is a spoiler of some sort .

if that is the case turn off your T.V. and computer don't go into a children's book store or toy section and ask a friend to tell you when the movie is out so you can go see it .

A spoiler is an element of a disseminated summary or description of any piece of fiction that reveals any plot elements which threaten to give away important details concerning the turn of events of a dramatic episode. Typically, the details of the conclusion of the plot, including the climax and ending, are especially regarded as spoiler material. It can also be used to refer to any piece of information regarding any part of a given media that a potential consumer would not want to know beforehand. Because enjoyment of fiction depends a great deal upon the suspense of revealing plot details through standard narrative progression, the prior revelation of how things will turn out can "spoil" the enjoyment that some consumers of the narrative would otherwise have experienced. Spoilers can be found in message boards, articles, reviews, commercials, and movie trailers.

J

which would make any conversation about the film off limits. So it's either you accept a level of meta knowledge or you just don't participate at all. Easiest solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
The very rare thing about this movie is how careful the official information has been released,....obviously there are parts that we see in the trailers,....hints & glimpses.....all to build up the hype & excitement of the film......nothing that falls into the territory of spoiling the film......

....The Man from U.N.C.L.E trailer on the other hand is the total opposite

J

but I have to ask .

what do you and your friends talk about then?
if you cant talk about details of the movie that would mean watching the trailer is a spoiler as well .

This is usually how it goes:

Friend: Man, I'm really looking forward to Star Wars. I wonder how it will end.

Me: I already know because I've read every little detail I can get my filthy little hands on.

Friend: Don't tell me anything. I Don't want any spoilers. I want to go into this without any information.

Me: Alright. Sounds cool. It's going to be a kick ass movie.

Friend: Sooooo is Luke the villain?

Me: Eeeeeeh, well you're just going to have to watch the movie and find out. And didn't you just tell me you didn't want any spoilers.

Friend: Luke's totally the villain.

Me: I don't know. I guess you'll find out soon enough.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand scene!

was anybody especially worried about Phasma dying anyway just cuz she has a red cloak thingy this is not Star Trek red don't mean dead lol

Theres plenty to talk about which does not involve plot points or the fate of the characters in the film......."Grand Moff Tarkin dies at the end of Star Wars",.....Oops

J

The very rare thing about this movie is how careful the official information has been released,....obviously there are parts that we see in the trailers,....hints & glimpses.....all to build up the hype & excitement of the film......nothing that falls into the territory of spoiling the film......

....The Man from U.N.C.L.E trailer on the other hand is the total opposite

J

Yeah, and I'll tell you what @Jaitea, even in the spoiler thread there is so much no one knows and at this point likely won't find out. I hear people complain about knowing too much based on the "official" release but even that is hardly anything. I'm so excited to see what does pan out and what doesn't and the film will still be full of surprises.

This is usually how it goes:

Friend: Man, I'm really looking forward to Star Wars. I wonder how it will end.

Me: I already know because I've read every little detail I can get my filthy little hands on.

Friend: Don't tell me anything. I Don't want any spoilers. I want to go into this without any information.

Me: Alright. Sounds cool. It's going to be a kick ass movie.

Friend: Sooooo is Luke the villain?

Me: Eeeeeeh, well you're just going to have to watch the movie and find out. And didn't you just tell me you didn't want any spoilers.

Friend: Luke's totally the villain.

Me: I don't know. I guess you'll find out soon enough.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand scene!

soooo is Luke the villain?

wait don't tell me .

damn you got me . lol

I'm not going to debate what is or isnt a spoiler, but I really wasn't expecting info like that to be in this thread. I don't care who released it. Obviously I made the choice to read this thread, but I really feel info like that shouldn't be in this thread, no matter the source. No need to read this thread anymore.

i do know some things for a fact

Han gonna shoot somebody (probably storm troopers)

storm troopers are gonna miss somebody (probably a lot)

and the millennium falcon is gonna go WOOOSH and fly real fast (even though it is the equivalent to us driving a model A now )

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back