Princess Leia ANH blaster… help required

Didn't notice really but anything to improve it would be good I suppose. What sort of finishes can you get onto the plastic? Glossy or is it pretty much Matte all round?

You can get a nice finish on plastic by using wet automotive sandpaper and increasing grit as you go. This is also the same thing you should do when you paint in layers.

However in this case, I do not think the best thing to do is to sand the plastic down. I think what you want to do is fill in the grooves. I believe you want to use light coats of filler primer and sand lightly in between so that you barely expose the plastic surface. This will leave a build up of primer in the grooves. Repeat until you get an even surface of the primer coat. Then you want to apply thin coats of paint and sand in between increasing grit strength as you go.

Here is a nice little description of using the different grits (it's for auto body work but I believe it should apply here).

What Grit Sandpaper to Use when Painting a Car - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Last edited:
Agree 100% with the above. The prints (at high resolution) are an excellent base, but like any raw prop or costume piece, require some finishing to be perfect. Mated faces aren't always perfect due to differential cooling of the two parts, so some light sanding or filling may be necessary at the joints. Some faces do show evidence of lines, and again, a light sand or fill with glazing putty or filler primer will even this out easily.

What you do get though is a relatively inexpensive, durable model. Personally, I'd rather drop a solid hunk of ABS than a resin cast.

Very nice! How much in printing materials was this to print?

I quote,

Skyminer would You be so kind to send me a pm for having a copy quoted, since I'm setting up a Luke Yavin Costume?? All I miss is the belt and the holster, so I need this blaster to let my friend start prototyping:D

Regards,

Alberto

I'm in the midst of putting together some information on what I can offer this for as a couple of kit options.. assembled and finished, and unassembled.

Give me a couple of days and I'll have something together.

How's it coming along skyminer? What are the options? :) either shoot me a PM or post on this thread. I'm really excited about the prospect of owning one! :)

I'm also building a ceremonial Yavin 4 Luke and would love one of these if still available. PM me a price and if willing to print one? Thanks!

I'm also building a ceremonial Yavin 4 Luke and would love one of these if still available. PM me a price and if willing to print one? Thanks!
ive not heard from skyminer since the above posts, id actually kind of forgotten about it haha!:lol hopefully we can gauge enough interest for a response

With all the renewed interest in the DDCD, it might be worth another run of resin Margolins!? ;)
Maybe we could convince Dave from DEC to offer the ROTJ muzzle as an alternative option?!

Worth an INT thread???

Markus

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back